Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

FTDI USB to TTL info needed....Help!

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Nov 09 2011, 03:04PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I've bought a kit from another website to enable me to plug my laptop into the diagnostic port on my car.

This requires an FTDI USB to TTL cable, which incorporates a TTL to USB chip.

I'm planning to modify the kit so that I just plug a standard USB cable into a USB port mounted in the dash, so I need to incorporate the FTDI USB to TTL chip into the kit mounted behind the dash.

I've been on the FTDI website, but I'm confused by USB to RS232 and USB to TTL. Is this the same thing, or are there differences?

Any other info relating to this project will also be useful. I'm planning to write it up and post it in the projects section once I've sorted out these problems, so we can all plug our cars into our laptops to diagnose ECU issues, etc.
Steve Conner
Wed Nov 09 2011, 03:39PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I assume both refer to the FTDI FT232xx USB-to-serial converter chips, which I've used extensively for various things.

RS232 has signalling levels of +/-12V, but TTL is 0 and 5V. The FTDI chip itself has a TTL output and needs a level shifter chip like the infamous MAX232 to convert to RS232 levels. You can buy a RS232 to USB cable using the FT232, and bypass the level shifter IC to get TTL output, or add an extra MAX232 to convert it back to TTL.

FTDI also make the FT245 which is a USB to general purpose parallel port, that could also be construed as "TTL".

The root problem is that the designations "RS232" and "TTL" are almost meaningless by themselves.
Bjørn
Wed Nov 09 2011, 03:40PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
RS-232 uses negative and positive voltages, TTL does not use negative voltages and the signal is inverted so you can convert from TTL to RS-232 using an inverting driver.

The voltage levels for either is not well defined.
Ash Small
Thu Nov 10 2011, 01:11PM
Thanks for the above information.

That clarifies things a lot.

What I require is a USB to TTL converter, with six pins.

Apparently the kit is designed for something like this:

Link2

but I want to use something like this:

Link2

I don't want to wait for Paypal to clesr and postage delays (usually around two weeks in total).

I've asked in Maplins, and they say they only do USB to RS232 converters, and have never heard of a six pin TTL connection.

I've looked on the FTDI website, but it seems I need to know what I need in advance (there are a lot of variations on there).

I don't even know if I need a 3.3 V one or a 5 V one.

The kit instructions just say this:

"A kit containing a PCB and all necessary components to build an adaptor to connect the vehicle diagnostic port to a standard FTDI USB-TTL cable (Not included)"

Are there any questions I should ask the supplier of the kit? Or what other information do I need in order to order the correct FTDI USB to TTL converter for this application?
Steve Conner
Thu Nov 10 2011, 01:29PM
You just need to know the pinout of the magic 6 pin socket, by the looks of it, then you can bodge anything that contains a FT232xx chip up to it. I believe they are software compatible for all values of xx (BM, RL, R, and so on) - once you've installed the Windows driver they all just look like COM ports.

As to whether it's 3.3 or 5V, you have to ask your car. But surely the designer of the kit can tell you the part number of the FTDI cable he designed it to work with.

Buying direct from FTDI can't be so bad. Their head office is in Glasgow, they probably ship from here.
Link2
Ash Small
Fri Nov 11 2011, 11:59AM
He Mentions FT232RL, but the lead he reccomends isn't suitable for my application, unless I cut it, or remove the board.

Ideally I just want a board with the relevant chip/circuitry on it, rather that leads or connectors, but I'll use the second item I linked to above (which has a jumper for 3.3 or 5 volts and a USB 'B' port on it) and just remove the port, as I want to mount the port in the dash. (I'll probably use a mini port)

The information you supplied was extremely helpful, by the way. I now have a much better understanding of what I require. Thanks.
AndrewM
Fri Nov 11 2011, 06:36PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
Heres another question - do the FTDI chips require the use of hardware flow control or can I use nothing but the RX/TX pins with a microcontroller UART?
Steve Conner
Fri Nov 11 2011, 06:52PM
The simple answer is, yes, they behave the same as an ordinary old-fashioned 16550 type UART, you can do anything that you've been used to doing with a PC's RS232 ports.

The complicated answer is that Windows can sometimes lose some of your data if you're doing heavy duty streaming with no flow control. The FTDI driver includes an adjustable buffer that can help, and I think the chip has a FIFO in hardware too, as the 16550 did.

But the fundamental problem is that Windows isn't a real-time OS, and can theoretically lose bits of your data irrespective of what UART it's coming through, if the FIFO fills up, Windows can't service the interrupt in time, and the source can't be halted because the RTS/CTS lines aren't connected. This very rarely happens, but it can't be guaranteed not to, either.

The USB ones seemed a little worse than serial ports built right into the motherboard, but of the USB UARTs I've tried, the FTDI one always worked better for me than the Profile.

I had an installation streaming at 115200 baud nonstop for years with no issues. But ironically I used the RTS/CTS lines as it made life easier for the microcontroller I'd connected the thing to. It had a double buffered command parser so it could receive the next command while processing the previous one, but it used the RTS/CTS to stop the computer trying to stuff in a third one.

FTDI also supply a driver for Linux, Android and my own personal favourite, WinCE 6.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: