All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Home Chemistry lab

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Fri Oct 28 2011, 07:57AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Take pictures of your intended setup, then detail what everything does.
Also include details of proposed experiments, and don't forget to mention "research" as this sometimes helps.

I did this a while back because some nice person was being a PITA and mentioned the dreaded Health & Safety, the cop shop were amused by my honesty but did mention that I really needed to inform the Fire Brigade, HSE and insurance companies exactly what was in the lab.

This is mainly so that in the unlikely event of a fire or chemical spill the first responders can know in advance what they are likely to be dealing with so risk to life can be reduced.

My current projects required me to purchase sulphur which is an ingredient in black powder, however on balance anyone with half a brain can see that 200 grams is not going to do anyone any harm .

Same with ammonium persulphate, its slightly corrosive but other than that non hazardous.

kind regards, -A

-A
Tetris
Fri Oct 28 2011, 03:44PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
once you are done, make thermite. :P molten metal, anyone?
Thomas W
Fri Oct 28 2011, 06:16PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
definitly not! the last thing i want is my stuff confiscated for making contraband
CZA
Sun Oct 30 2011, 01:55AM
CZA Troll, banned on 11/1/2011.
Registered Member #4171 Joined: Sat Oct 29 2011, 03:20PM
I've heard of people getting arrested, but it's not often. Usually its because of suspicious activity, like constantly buying fertilizers or common oxidizers like stump remover, which might raise suspicion. Either that or someone thinking your glassware or distillation apparatus is a meth lab, because most people are pretty ignorant. But if you the cops come, you should be able to prove you're not doing anything illegal.

Also a good place to get a simple distillation setup for a great cost is United Nuclear. Every now and then they have it for sale, only 125$ for a 500ml setup!!

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_26&products_id=518

Also for chemicals, which is also necessary for any chemistry project, I recommend Elemental Scientific. They have HUNDREDS of chemicals for reasonable prices. Shipping is slow, but the place is great.

http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=18

They also have a great selection on glassware and equipment.

Not to forget, always look to see if you can get chemicals at hardware stores under brand names before ordering. Also, you can make other compounds out of them that are hard to buy or require haz mat fees such as iodine and nitric acid. I might post a thread as a list of chemicals for a home lab that you can get at ordinary stores.

It's a great, but sadly dying hobby, glad you're interested. Meth addicts and safety fear mongering has killed home labs, but it's quite easy to get around that!

Conundrum
Sun Oct 30 2011, 08:38AM
Someone suggested setting up a limited company as a way to reduce the paperwork.
0 employees, 1 director so negligible paperwork (apart from tax return and social insurance etc) and you can do research with far less hassle than usual.
You might run into zoning issues but there are ways around this.

-A
Shrad
Sun Oct 30 2011, 09:33AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
why not set up a club under some association status?

here in belgium and france we have the "1911 law" which is a "fact association" status, which allows you to have a declared association, ability to open a bank account under the association's name, and you don't need to have defined president, secretary and trasury person
hsieh
Sun Oct 30 2011, 01:21PM
hsieh Registered Member #1412 Joined: Thu Mar 27 2008, 04:07PM
HighVoltageChick wrote ...

once you are done, make thermite. :P molten metal, anyone?

Several years ago I love to play with thermite.But one time I hurt my hand.Another time I melt a hole on a metal sink.I think it is too dangerous for me to try at home.
CZA
Wed Nov 02 2011, 06:29PM
CZA Troll, banned on 11/1/2011.
Registered Member #4171 Joined: Sat Oct 29 2011, 03:20PM
Im not a troll!
Ocean Waves
Tue Nov 22 2011, 03:34PM
Ocean Waves Registered Member #4181 Joined: Thu Nov 03 2011, 02:39PM
best bet is to make sure that you do not have all the required ingredents to make any sorts of drugs or a large quanity of ingrediants that can make explosives, in the US do not have distallation flasks larger than 5L period, other wise they can say consipericy to manufacture based on the meterials on hand and the reuslting sentance for consperiscy is 1 year less than committing the accused offence. never have any main ingredeants for class 2 or 3 substances.

in the example of besing accused of being a meth lab, you could have a distallation rig, iodine, but no ephadrine but if they find traces of ephadrine in you lab your screwed (cold medcine), so better off not have iodine when you own a distallation rig. this is very sad because iodine is very useful in selective metalurgy. and often requires a distallation aperatius to work with. because of such i have resorted to burring my iodine underground for storage when not being used, and have had to avoid using iodine in the extractive methiods of gold recovery
Conundrum
Sat Nov 26 2011, 07:59PM
Iodine is also useful for making dye solar cells via the TiO2 process.

Another "gotcha" is having any lithium metal (aka primary cell) either as intact batteries or under oil.
Same with magnesium, as it can be subbed for lithium in the meth reaction.

It occurs to me that the reaction to the (admittedly sparse) meth labs does 10000* more damage to legitimate scientific research than the labs themselves.
I say legalise everything and let evolution take care of the idiots smile

-A
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: