All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What did I make?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Turkey9
Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:05AM Print
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I use the hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid method for etching circuit boards. I had finished etching a board and instead of flushing the leftovers down the toilet, I decided to stick a penny in. After a couple days the penny almost completely dissolved and was removed for the coolness of having a partially dissolved penny. I left the solution to sit while I went off home over thanksgiving break. Here is where the mystery comes in... My roommate stayed back and said that after about a week, the solution crystallized over night. The crystals were now blue instead of the dark green color of the original solution. What happened? My first thought was that the crystals were CuCl2. Is this correct? Thanks!
klugesmith
Fri Dec 09 2011, 08:33AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Did the partly etched penny look like it was high-copper bronze to begin with, not copper-clad zinc? How much copper did you etch from circuit boards? Hint: why is copper foil thickness often given in "ounces" ?

Here is a well-known and practical warning. Leaving containers of hydrochloric acid (or, I expect, your etchant mixture) open for days is a good way to corrode unprotected ferrous surfaces nearby.

Check out the scary pictures in this thread. The culprit appears to be an uncovered tray of green etchant:
Link2
magnet18
Fri Dec 09 2011, 11:26AM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
dark blue would probably indicate copper sulfate, sulfur possibly from the water.
Copper chloride crystals are green
Since this it real world chemistry, t's probably a mixture. is it possible to break open a crystal to see if it's green on the inside?
Forty
Fri Dec 09 2011, 05:47PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
the muriatic acid might of had other junk in it as buffers (if it was from a hardware store, etc.) maybe the copper (or zinc if it was a post 1982 penny) oxidized something in the mix and precipitated out an insoluble salt. or if the solution was sitting around long enough to evaporate a bit, the solution would of become over saturated and crystals would form (possibly of the buffers.)

and also, don't pour copper chloride into the toilet unless you live in a desert. copper solutions are pretty bad for aquatic life. if you end up with too much solution you can either crystallize some of it by evaporation for easier storage, or you could plate out the copper with electricity and remelt it/sell it.
Turkey9
Sat Dec 10 2011, 04:40AM
Yeah I've had my tools rust from being in the vicinity of my etchant even just during the etching time. The crystals are very thin and light blue and dissolve easily in water.

The acid did indeed have buffers in it.

I made sure the penny was pre 1982, I think it was mid 70's. I did put another penny in there that was newer to see what would happen when the zinc was exposed. Turns out it bubbled quite a bit and I assume the bubbles were hydrogen.

I new that you shouldn't pour the solution down the drain, but I though it was ok to flush it. This is because black water goes to the treatment plant and is not released into the water table until processed. If this is not correct, I will stop immediately.
klugesmith
Sat Dec 10 2011, 07:19AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Turkey9 wrote ...
I new that you shouldn't pour the solution down the drain, but I though it was ok to flush it. This is because black water goes to the treatment plant and is not released into the water table until processed. If this is not correct, I will stop immediately.
It's good that you thought about the issue. Personally, I'm sure there's no problem with well-diluted acids down the drain. Heck, they sell H2SO4 to digest plugs of hair and grease when the drain runs slow. Metals are another story. Municipal waste-water treatment processes don't involve nuclear reactions, so copper in is copper out. Some is adsorbed onto solid particles that end up in the sludge, and the rest goes through as copper ions in the treated water stream.

With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to pour used etchant down the drain. The quantity is inconsequential, compared to other sources of metals entering the treatment plant. Link2 In many places, you can buy a 2-pound dose of copper sulfate labeled for killing tree roots growing into buried sewer pipes. Link2

magnet18
Sat Dec 10 2011, 01:41PM
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Yeah I've had my tools rust from being in the vicinity of my etchant even just during the etching time. The crystals are very thin and light blue and dissolve easily in water.

The acid did indeed have buffers in it.

I made sure the penny was pre 1982, I think it was mid 70's. I did put another penny in there that was newer to see what would happen when the zinc was exposed. Turns out it bubbled quite a bit and I assume the bubbles were hydrogen.

correct
did the crystals look like this?
Link2
Turkey9
Sat Dec 10 2011, 06:42PM
Huh yes they did! Guess it was copper sulfate!
GluD
Sat Dec 10 2011, 08:07PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
It is probably not of any signifigance, but where did the sulfate come from if it really is copper sulfate?
Neither hydrogen peroxide or muriatic acid should contain sulfates.

Could your roommate perhaps have added the sulfate to pull your leg ?

Maybe I have missed something but I dont understand where the sulfate could have come from.
Turkey9
Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:52PM
That's what I was wondering too... My roommate knows nothing about chemistry so if he added something it was by accident.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: