Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

multirail augmented railgun

Move Thread LAN_403
Forty
Fri Sept 23 2011, 04:52PM Print
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
so i was drawing up a design while bored in class for a 12 rail (6 per side) railgun.
2 rails would be in contact with the projectile and thus need to be replaceable. the remaining rails
would be fixed and provide added field augmentation. the magnetic forces between the augmenting rails and the cross connections at the ends would be attractive, so a sturdy insulator would have to be used between them.

____ ____
|_|_| |_|_|
|_|_| |_|_|
|_|_| |_|_|

that's the layout, with the innermost and center rails being the ones in contact with the projectile.
I've got the crossing connections laid out in a simple and efficient way.

So i was wondering.. why haven't i seen this done more often in railgun designs?
Is the added resistance and inductance a major problem vs. the single rail design?
If i ever do build a prototype, it will just be a small scale version maybe 10" long with
.125" square copper bars.
2Spoons
Wed Sept 28 2011, 05:26AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Funny, I had a similar idea a long time ago. Thinking about it now it may be that there is nothing to gain. Since the force is I x H (basically), if you consider that you have a fixed amount of energy available then more turns on the "inductor" means lower current, though you get more H for your current. Result, I think, is either the same or worse than the 'single turn' scenario.

Adding permanent magnets to enhance the field is probably more useful.

Still thinking, if there is no difference due to the h up = I down, there may be some system advantages, such as lower peak current in the caps, less field in the wires from caps to rails, longer current pulse time etc.

Worth experimenting, certainly.
Forty
Thu Sept 29 2011, 01:43AM
well if you can get the same force into the projectile while sending less current through it, then that is definitely a gain since the rails would erode less.
That's the main problem i always think about when it comes to railguns, and why i haven't built anything larger than a classroom demo version.
well if i happen across some suitable copper or aluminum square bar then i'll try it out.
2Spoons
Wed Oct 05 2011, 05:04AM
Got curious and did a quick excel spread sheet. Simple force calc, using constant energy, constant size and varying turns. Force stays constant, I varies as 1/ SQRT(turns). I did not account for increased turns resistance, but this is probably dominated by energy source impedance.
2Spoons
Wed Oct 05 2011, 05:19AM
Playing with FEMM : adding Nd magnets and a steel surround gets the field up by a factor of 10.
Neuuubeh
Wed Oct 19 2011, 12:06PM
Neuuubeh Registered Member #3411 Joined: Sat Nov 13 2010, 08:25PM
While I dont have a paper name on the ready, I believe Ive read a similar setup made by russian scientists. They used a stack of 5 pair of rails, insulated with teflon (i think). The armature was built the same, 5 conducting pieces with teflon spacers between. The single railgun-circuits (rail-armature-rail) are then connected in series. Effiency is supposed to be much higher than normal railguns.
Neuuubeh
Wed Oct 19 2011, 12:09PM
Neuuubeh Registered Member #3411 Joined: Sat Nov 13 2010, 08:25PM
2Spoons wrote ...

Playing with FEMM : adding Nd magnets and a steel surround gets the field up by a factor of 10.

I believe with the fields you should be looking at, a steel surround will be well saturated :s. Unless making a small model I guess?
Dunno
Forty
Wed Oct 19 2011, 05:42PM
I imagine making each projectile as a stack of insulated layers of conductor would be a pain. I was just thinking a single rail in contact with the projectile, while the other 10 provide field augmentation.
2Spoons
Thu Oct 20 2011, 04:59AM
The stacked armature makes a lot of sense, as it multiplies the length of driven conductor, multiplying the force by the same factor.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: