Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ideas for independent variables

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
jnbrex
Sun Oct 16 2011, 02:19AM Print
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
I am entering this year's Intel ISEF science fair and am doing my project on electromagnetic projectile accelerators (coil g's).
My dependent variable is efficiency. I am limiting myself to a single stage for simplicity's sake. What are your ideas for some independent variables? I currently plan to measure:

• Wire Gauge
• Number of layers
• Coil length vs projectile
• Pulse time (maybe, difficult)
• Temperature (Liquid N2, Dry Ice and alcohol)

Any additional ideas will be greatly appreciated!
P.S. Please do not mention the g-word. I do not want my project to be disqualified as a weapon.
Forty
Mon Oct 17 2011, 03:40AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
external iron is a good one.
also projectile material.
Adam Munich
Mon Oct 17 2011, 04:38AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
How about making a disklauncher? It's a hell of a lot more fun than a coilg.
Legit_bacon
Mon Oct 17 2011, 04:41AM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
I recently did a science fair on this, here are some of mine:
- Contact switch vs solid sate switching
- multiple stages
- Projectile, ie large small, material ect.

As for how to messure them, the best way is to measure velocity with a crono, but scone I, and probably you don't have one of those, I shot it a a roll of duct tape on m y floor and messured how far it rolled. This will depend on the power of of your g.. I mean accelerator ;)
Forty
Mon Oct 17 2011, 03:03PM
lol that's a fun way of making a ballistics pendulum. gotta account for the rotational kinetic energy and rolling friction though if you want to determine the energy accurately. for comparative studies all you'd have to look at was the distance it rolled though i guess.
If you want a more exciting way of measuring, you could always do the/our amateur way of "how many can sides does it shoot through"
One fairly accurate way that i can think of would be to take a metal block of known mass and put it on a uniform surface like a sheet of glass. tilt the sheet up until it the mass slides and record the angle. do that a few times so that you're sure you've got the right angle, and from that you can calculate the coefficient of static friction. then you can set the sheet at a known angle and time how long it takes the mass to slide down it from a known initial position. do that a few times and you can find the coefficient of kinetic friction. Now with those two frictions, you can set the sheet level and shoot at the mass with your LEMA (linear electro-magnetic accelerator) and from the distance it slides, accurately determine the energy of the projectile.
that may sound like a lot of work, but you can just do the calculations once and then put the equations into excel to have it calculate the energy for all your other trials. Also, the added steps of calculating the friction coefficients and how to derive the energy from the distance slid would make nice, interesting, scientific 'filler' for your paper/presentation.

Since your reported result will be efficiency, which will be calculated from the energy in and the energy of the projectile out, you'll need an accurate way of knowing the energy in. I would have a voltmeter on the capacitors at all times and record the voltage immediately before the shot, and immediately after. from those voltages and the capacitance (which should also be measured at some point, or calculated via RC time constant) you can find the energy stored in the capacitors before and after the shot, and the difference of those would be your energy input. Of course for comparative studies of the end efficiency, you could just record the initial voltage on the capacitors and assume all the other conditions either don't matter, or are a side effect of the independent variables (ie, changing the coil will probably change the energy left in the capacitors after the projectile leaves the coil, so the energy input would be different, but your results would just report that for a given capacitance and voltage, coil X transferred Y amount of energy into the projectile.)

This sounds like a fun experiment (evident in the fact that i wrote so much already.) Too bad I can't do interesting stuff like this for my classes. I'm stuck doing 'torque on a magnetic dipole in a uniform magnetic field / force on a magnetic dipole in a gradient magnetic field' and have to type the whole damn thing up in Latex.
ZakWolf
Mon Oct 17 2011, 06:37PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
"CoilG" is a nickname it is really called an "electromagnetic accelerator" call it that instead of a "CoilG"
jnbrex
Tue Oct 18 2011, 12:27AM
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
This is a very serious project. I think that external iron and projectile material are both great ideas (thanks, Forty). The mass of the projectile(s) will be measured using an extremely accurate electronic balance before each firing. The velocity will be determined using photogates, and then the kinetic energy will be found using Ke=mv^2/2. The capacitance of the capacitor bank will be measured using an LCR meter before each charging and firing. A voltage meter will be connected to the capacitor bank during charging and firing. Every single aspect of this will be very scientific, accurately and precisely.
I am looking for ways to improve the efficiency of electromagnetic projectile accelerators, and plan to find which factors produce the highest efficiency, then combine them to make a (relatively) highly efficient accelerator. This will probably include LN2 cooling, high-quality projectile material, and maximum magnetic field density and optimally controlled pulse time.
I had an idea that a slotted projectile might have greater efficiency by reducing eddy currents on the surface of the projectile. Does anyone have any experience with that? I am not sure whether the effect will be great enough to be measurable, or a waste of time.
Doing some pre-experimenting (normal steel projectile, normal coil) i have achieved efficiencies of 3.65% which I believe is relatively high on the scale of non-military electromagnetic projectile accelerators.
Thank you for all the help, and any more suggestions (especially out-of-the-box) will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. The title of this project will most likely be "Improving the Efficiency of Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators"
Turkey9
Tue Oct 18 2011, 02:00AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I don't really think that LN2 cooling will be a good idea. It will at most decrease the resistance of your coil making it tend more towards the underdamped LCR circuit. With electromagnetic accelerators, the most efficiency is had with a critically damped system. The inefficiencies come from converting the energy in the magnetic field to the kinetic energy of the projectile.

Although science fair is all about the process and a great project can be had from a situation others would call a failure.

I would definitely try the slotted projectile. I saw a paper a while back about a couple students that built an accelerator for their senior design project in college. It broke 20% efficiency if I remember correctly. You should also try powdered iron as a projectile material.

One of the biggest losses comes from the energy wasted in the emf quenching diode. If you could figure out a way to return that energy to the capacitors, your efficiency would sky rocket.

Forty
Tue Oct 18 2011, 06:53AM
The best projectile i've come up with is a solenoid plunger. it's laminated, made of a high permeability metal, and already perfectly shaped with a pointed tip.
see examples here Link2
although none of them look coated like mine. you could laminate them easily. using these instead of my nickel cobalt plated steel rounds instantly added about 25% more projectile energy for the coil i was using.

I haven't experimented with slotted/powdered projectiles because i like to have the rounds be sturdy and easy to reproduce. I suppose a mold for epoxy+powdered iron rounds wouldn't be very difficult, but i'd be worried that they'd shatter on impact.
The 'V-switch' circuit will return the back emf energy to the capacitors, but it won't do much in the way of imparting more energy to the projectile. It depends whether you want to improve the efficiency of the whole system, or just the increase the energy transferred to the projectile.
Turkey9
Tue Oct 18 2011, 11:37PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I believe the V-Switch is just a system that is able to turn off the main SCR at the right time, not return the energy to the capacitors. It's main advantage is that the coil doesn't need to be tuned perfectly in order to prevent suck back.

To get the best efficiency, a square wave is desired. This is really hard to do when dealing with thousands of amps but can be accomplished using an H-bridge and a very large bank of capacitors. The idea is to only use a small fraction of the capacitor energy so that the discharge is fairly uniform.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: