Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Nd:Yag Laser Etching System

Move Thread LAN_403
Thu Jun 29 2006, 05:02AM Print
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Last year it was a tesla coil and coilgun for summer projects... But anyone can make those, this year it is time to up the anti to a laser etching/cutting/obliterating/bleaching/etc system...

It will consist one big huge assembly.... The laser head is going to be the SSY-1 Q-switched Nd:Yag laser here. I am going to build a little zvs flyback driver to give the 1kv to charge the cap, and a small PIC to give overtemp protection, control the pump energy serially (or manually) and generally make the laser a device that a computer can talk to. The laser will be mounted vertically pointing down at the medium being blasted at, mounted on a couple of optical stages for positioning... The head is going to be mounted on a manual micrometer stage to give fine focus control, and the work will be on a little jack to allow for big thick stuff to be done. After that it is going to be a 2-axis system, made of 2 2.5" optical stages. Moving these stages will be 2 Newport 850F linear actuators. Each of these actuators will be connected to a newport PCM2000-C2 controller, which will be on a GPIB buss (or a serial one if I can't get the gpib working, the first step will be to get a cable). This will give me about +/- 0.3 uM (ie .0000003M) accuracy shades.

Overall the design will be limited to a work area of about 2" square... And by how long I am willing to wait for the piece to come out... I hear that the flash tube can handle about 10W continuous power, so if I run 10J shots (well above the lasing threshold, but well below what it would have been run in range finder service) I can go 1shot/second. 10J shots put a hole about a .5mm pit in Al, so I will probably set the spacing at .5mm... So I will get an amazing speed of 1"/minute... I am unsure as to how fast I will end up going, but I expect it to be s-l-o-w... But that isn't a problem since it will be all computer controlled so I can start a run in the morning and come back home 10hrs later and get the piece with like 30k little pits in it tongue If I wanted to obliterate the whole thing I would need about an hour... Unless of course I do a better job of focusing it, I bet I could get some pretty small spots if I need them...

What I have so far...

1151556535 56 FT0 Img 1889

The controller for them actuators... That readout is reading in inches. Yes, you can control it in .00001" increments suprised But since it only reads to the tenthousanth of inch you have to kind of guess where it is for that last sig fig wink I need another female db25 connector to make the correct adapter for the second actuator, so that channel says not connected for now.

1151556535 56 FT0 Img 1892

The overall setup... It is in a closet so I can close the door during operation so I don't need to wear my yag goggles all of the time. I will probably end up clearing off the next shelf and putting the computer responsible for all of the controlling up there, and run a vga extension cable outside for remote monitoring. I added that camera as kind of an afterthought, (heck, I have 3 of them, why not put one to use cheesey ) but since it has a pretty good magnification on the lens it will help me get the spot size down where I want it. But unless I mount it on the moving part of the system I won't be able to use it to monitor the process.
peter
Sun Oct 01 2006, 07:02AM
Update!

I have the motion controller stages done, and a simple vi written in labview to control them

(extra points to anyone that guesses my desktop background)

So I can dial in .00001" forward, click run, and it moves .000010" forward.

I will eventually write a program that allows me to upload a monochrome bitmap, and it will fire a hole for every black pixel, but that will be a little while.

I also have made some progress on the laser.

The first laser I was using had too much power, the smallest holes I could do were about .01" in diameter, so I want making much use of my 50nm (yes. 1/10 a wavelength of red light) precision. But that head has its uses, like making my own miniature mountain ranges

1159676738 56 FT12278 20060929205347

(1pixel~.005" looking at the top of a dip ic)

But I had another laser head that had chipped optics, which gave lower output power. So I was happy,

1159677104 56 FT12278 20060929232138

That is looking at a piece of black anodised aluminum, with a small oval of the anodising vaporized off, and a piece of 32awg enameled wire.

I REALLY wanted to write my name or 4hv or something with my new spots, but that head had some type of electrical short in it, so that whenever I fired it reset the motion controller and I had to renter all of the info about the actuators dead So I switched the head with another one, that had a terrible beam shape (big oval mess) but at least a decent spot size, and did my best at creating a letter...

1159679592 56 FT12278 20060930221132

H was chosen becuase it was mostly vertical lines, which was good since the spot was really tall (the middle bar is one shot tall)...

So that is officially the first computer controlled image printed by the system! Well I used a computer to control the stages, and the firing was done at about 1shot/second automatically (as soon as the cap charged it fired). I didn't touch anything but the mouse, so I consider it computer controlled wink

Right now I am working on a computer controlled controller for the laser head (it is going to be a pretty complex beast), and getting a head to give the decent spot size I want. I assure you that by the end of the year I will have some much better shots (the same spot size as is the first one, hopefully with a round spot, and more complex designs).
Sun Feb 25 2007, 05:40AM
I am sorry that I haven't updated this thread, but shortly after making that H I was cursed (or blessed, depending on how you look at it) by some very cheap 808nm laser diode bars, and making my dpss laserr sucked me dry. Later, I lost the hardrive that had the VI I had written and the pics I took, so I am more or less at where I started sad

With college coming up (man, time sure flies) I have officially decided to dump the project to make room for the mk2.1 of my rocket gps tracking system, my diode/flashlamp pumped lasers, some computers, possibly a few tesla coils, and hopefully some PIC programming. At least for the next few years wink

So, don't hold your breath for the finished product.
ConKbot of Doom
Sun Feb 25 2007, 01:50PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
The cost of this may be a bit much for you, but if you want an easy interface to a GPIB bus to your computer, sparkfun sells a premade GPIB <--> USB adaptor.

Link2
Sun Feb 25 2007, 05:18PM
I already have a real PCI-GPIB card from NI, which works great.

Thanks for the suggestion tho smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: