Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Bottle cooler

Move Thread LAN_403
Zum Beispiel
Thu Feb 15 2007, 08:16PM Print
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
I was inspired to build this thing because the last summer was so damn hot (atleast here in Finland). I drank a lot of coke during the hottest months, but there was just one problem: When ever I bought a new bottle, it was warm and I had to put it in the fridge and wait for it to cool down. Of course putting it in the freezer made it get cold faster, but I'd just forget it and it would get frozen.

I thought to myself: "Hmm, what would be the best way to cool 1.5 liters of coke to +5°C and make sure it won't freeze"

So I thought of this thing (sorry for the awful picture quality, the pics were taken in a hurry)

1171567182 514 FT1630 Setup

More pictures here (again, sorry for the horrible picture quality)

It works just like a regular freezer. The aluminium box in the background houses the evaporator (there is 3 cm of insulation between the evaporator and the box surface). The evaporator is made into a coil so that it makes a firm contact with the bottle to be cooled, for the best heat exchange.

I made this thing from mainly recycled or leftover parts, so the cost was pretty low. It has a lot of things it doesn't really need, like the pressure gauges or the two pressure switches in the back (low and high pressure cut-out), but I threw them in there cause there was no other use for them. I also added a pair of cold cathode lights in there, just to make it a bit "cooler"

It uses r22 as coolant, mainly because the only compressor I had on hand was for it.

So about the performance. It cools a liter of water from 22°C to 0°C in about 30 minutes, but I think it could do a little better. The evaporator is a bit under powered, so I'll probably have to make a longer one. Other than that, it works just great! I'm happy.

It took almost 8 months to build, but seeing it work makes it all worth it. It might not shoot sparks or anything, but it's my baby.

Let's just hope that next summer will be as hot as the last one shades
Wolfram
Thu Feb 15 2007, 10:40PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Impressive work. Creative, interesting, and actually useful too.

Can't think of anything more to write right now, I'm quite tired.

Anders M.
Billybobjoe
Fri Feb 16 2007, 12:47AM
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
That really is impressive! I"m assuming you've done work with refrigerant before this? It seems like that would be the trickiest part.
uzzors2k
Sat Feb 17 2007, 10:57AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Pretty 1337, and the presure gauges are awesome! shades
Tonic
Mon Mar 05 2007, 11:04PM
Tonic Registered Member #528 Joined: Fri Feb 16 2007, 10:32PM
Wow, those parts are high quality.. Danfoss, Electrolux and Refco, they're the one of the best refrigeration companys I know.

A tip from me. Flip the dryer (this filter thing after condenser) 45 degreeses with outlet pointing bottom. In that way more liquid will be accumulated, more liquid will enter evaporator, and, at end, the evaporating efficiency will increase and pull down time might get lower. That's theory, but it might work, though.

Would you mind filling my curiosity? What are presures, when you achieve lowest temperature?
Zum Beispiel
Tue Mar 06 2007, 12:48PM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
I know that in theory the dryer should be mounted as you described, but many commercial refrigeration systems use the same horizontal mounting, so I don't think changing it will affect performance very much.

The evaporator is underpowered compared to the rest of the system, so the suction line pressure goes pretty low, depending on the loading(2-1 bar when nearing 0C), and the return gas temperature is low (-25C). This is why the evaporator is fed from the bottom: This way there isn't much of a chance of liquid state refrigerant getting into the compressor and blowing the valves up.

The high pressure line runs a little cold too, around 30-40C (11-15 bar) depending on loading.

It can get the box to almost -30C, but at that temperature the pressures go too low and the compressor turns into a ball of ice ill
But it does work well for operation at 0C.

I'll probably have to make the evaporator coil longer. I'm also thinking about mounting a fan inside the box to move air around the evaporator. This should give it a little more power.

I hope I managed to answer your questions.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: