Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

adjustable optic triggering

Move Thread LAN_403
Benj
Fri Aug 19 2011, 04:11PM
Benj Registered Member #4050 Joined: Sun Aug 07 2011, 04:06PM
Sounds like a great idea! Next step is to test it for real
1313770294 4050 FT122644 555

i have no idea why half of my sceenshoot is white...

NE555 output is Red , trigger voltage is blue
PSCG
Sat Aug 20 2011, 10:04AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
...Using an only 555? well, how would you delay the pulse then?...

Sorry Benj. It was a premature thought frown

...just one thing: I'm not an expert ( far from it ), i'm a real begginer in optical triggering and "serious" coilguns.

Nor i'm an expert in coilguns. I've only built 2 very simple coilguns before i start with my coilgun rifle project (a very difficult project - 1+ year effort and still haven't finish it).

I think that the second sim that you've made fits better my problem with delays. If you make the real life test please let us know about the results.
Benj
Sat Aug 20 2011, 11:01AM
Benj Registered Member #4050 Joined: Sun Aug 07 2011, 04:06PM
That was forty's idea, not mine smile. I'll try this.

i'm also trying to build my own and first coilgun rifle. Still a long way away.
Forty
Sat Aug 20 2011, 05:53PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
if i have the time, i'll breadboard this up later after running some numbers for c and r values. it sure would be nice if it does work with such simple parts.
with regard to the microcontroller, i don't have a pic programmer, my arduino is too big, and i hate programming. unless i used a pic to run a whole bunch of other features in the gun, it would be a big waste of space with all the external components (c's, r's, crystal, voltage regulator, etc) that it would require. but most importantly, i'm not good with circuit design, so i'm using this as a learning experience and it's already going quite well (actually opened my electronics textbook)
i now know how to make my own jk or d-type flip flop or even a 555 timer from logic gates and comparators.
Slid
Tue Aug 30 2011, 09:21AM
Slid Registered Member #853 Joined: Thu Jun 21 2007, 03:08PM
When I made my gun, It triggered the coil not when the lightbeam was broken, but when it came on again. I did this to have the projectile well inside the coil. I uses a 4017 counter, which has a schmitt-trigger on the counter input. This was connected to a simple resistor/photodiode setup. I then got the trigger-signal on output 1
Forty
Tue Aug 30 2011, 03:36PM
I want to be able to adjust when the coil fires. it's a pain to find the right initial distance from the coil for the projectile. even when you do, if there's an injector stage or full stage before it, then that location is no longer correct because the projectile will have an initial velocity. so with a built in delay in the triggering, i should be able to just turn a trimpot until the velocity is maximized.
coincidentally, I just started a photography course at school, so i may try some high speed shots using the same circuit. it will be weird to actually build a camera flash for once, i'm so used to taking them apart. gives me an excuse to build a boost converter too.
Artikbot
Mon Sept 05 2011, 12:12AM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
I defend the photo gate trigger right before the coil.

Automatic fire, no further circuitry needed, if you do it with photodiodes it will be so damn faster you can stick the sensors right at the entrance of the coil.

Why complicating stuff with timers and delays? Sure it is very very tunable, but it is also way more prone to errors, and needs very extensive tuning periods until you achieve maximum performance, while the optical barrier mode simply works from the very beginning.
Forty
Tue Sept 06 2011, 03:20PM
but if it just so happens that the projectile initial position "sweet spot" isn't right in front of the coil, then the gun will suck. with a little bit of math and the right components, i can just change the initial position from outside the gun by turning a trimpot (1 turn = ~1mm).
if i want to play with different sized cap banks or different projectiles without building a new gun and coil every time, then the addition of a 555 or two into the circuit seems like a good idea.
if/when i make a gun with a lot of stages, the design can easily be extended to accommodate them

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: