Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Resonant DC charger for capacitor banks

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
PSCG
Tue Aug 30 2011, 10:27AM Print
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Is it possible to use the DC resonant charging topology for a 450VDC / 4000 uF capacitor bank?

It is usually used for charging capacitors, but only high voltage and small capacitance as i've seen (2 - 3 Kv / 10 - 200 uF).
Forty
Tue Aug 30 2011, 03:56PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
might be possible, but the frequency would have to be pretty low. I'm unclear on any advantage you would gain using such a topology, and don't have the time right now to go searching/reading about it.
so give me a reason why you'd want to use it and i'll get back to you later.
PSCG
Tue Aug 30 2011, 05:22PM
First reason is that (except the boost type converter) all other capacitor bank chargers are too difficult for me to construct.

Second reason is that i've tried approximately 52 times to make my boost type converter (Uzzor's design) to work without any success.

Third reason is that no one has tried it before as a coilgun capacitor charger, so it has not been evaluated for such a system.

I'm not asking from anyone to try it, just some thoughts about the general concept.
Forty
Tue Aug 30 2011, 07:18PM
I've had only limited success with various boost converter designs as well (FET always melts,) but every zvs I've made has worked great (except for the regulator bit, but i'm working on that.) I suggest you try making one, they're really quite easy to do point-to-point style.

Once I finish modifying uzzors' charging regulator for the zvs (separate supplies, 250v to 450v adjustment range, and most importantly, getting it to work reliably) then I'll post schematics and pcb layouts that you can use.

what problems have you had with the boost converter?
PSCG
Wed Aug 31 2011, 07:07AM
Everything you can imagine (and not): NE 555 oscillator working on a frequency completely different than the R and C values calculated for, IRFP 450 not switching, boost converter coil overheating and many other problems that i don't exactly remember. I also had problems with the rectification diode but i salvaged from a computer supply a very good HFA08TB60. But the most frustrating was that it worked, once, but it only reached 200 VDC (instead of the designed 450VDC with auto cut off circuit regulator).

The only thing that worked the first time was the voltage level regulator for protecting the capacitors from overcharging (design from Another Coilgun Site). I have used it many times again without any quirks.
Artikbot
Sun Sept 04 2011, 11:59PM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
PSCG wrote ...

First reason is that (except the boost type converter) all other capacitor bank chargers are too difficult for me to construct.

Second reason is that i've tried approximately 52 times to make my boost type converter (Uzzor's design) to work without any success.

Third reason is that no one has tried it before as a coilgun capacitor charger, so it has not been evaluated for such a system.

I'm not asking from anyone to try it, just some thoughts about the general concept.

1) If you can find a transformer ferrite core (off eBay, p.ex) a Mazzilli ZVS is terribly easy to do. I'm currently doing one for a high power coilgun I'm designing.

2) Uzzors' has a problem driving the MOSFET. If you have high enough power, it won't be noticeable (the MOSFET won't have time to heat up), but if you run high iductances to keep heat down, it will fail due to a MOSFET driving issue. My first adaptation of it failed (ask Forty, he knows about that), blowing up an IRFP450, flames and all included.

3) I have no answer to that, but saying good luck with it. But I'd rather go with a ZVS driver. Efficiency is terribly high, and it can drive virtually any voltage, as long as the windings are properly calculated.
Dr. Slack
Mon Sept 05 2011, 12:42PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
The cap bank will be storing 400J (400v/4mF).

A DC resonant charger requires an inductor to store 25% of the final cap energy. You'll need quite a lot of iron to store 100J during the charging pulse. You will also need a stiff 200v power supply to drive it.

So yes, it's possible, if you've got those things.

The topology of choice for capacitor charging is the flyback. Amongst its many advantages are

a) you can use it pulse by pulse (easy to start, stop and debug)
b) it retains near 100% efficiency into a wide range of voltages on the capacitor it's charging
c) it's easy to get large or small voltage step-up with the same topology
d) it's current output, so well suited to driving a low impedance load like a capacitor
e) you can get galvanic isolation across the transformer, very handy for safety
PSCG
Tue Sept 06 2011, 07:58AM
OK, as i see resonant DC capacitor charger is not possible for a portable coilgun. Also i have many ferrite cores from TV flybacks (+20) so i imagine that will not be too difficult to try the ZVS topology.

I have 2 IRFP 450 MOSFET's. Usually the ZVS uses IRFP 250 MOSFET's (0.085 Ohms - 33A) instead of the 450 (0.31 Ohms - 14A). Can they work in the circuit?
Forty
Tue Sept 06 2011, 03:03PM
the 450's will work, but they're not the best. I have used them before and they heat up if you run them too long (which you won't be doing for a charger.)
their breakdown voltage is just too high i think.
PSCG
Sat Sept 10 2011, 09:57AM
OK, i have ordered the IRFP 250 MOSFET's but i have a question: the inductor (as shown in Uzzors2k schematic) must have a specific value or just any inductor between 47 - 250 uH?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: