All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple Interrupter Design with Design Sheets / Artwork / Templates

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jun 27 2006, 11:43AM Print
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Here is a simple generic interrupter (modulator) design which can be used for both SSTCs, DRSSTCs, and VTTCs. Based on standard 555 timer astable and monostable configurations, it features:

Adjustable Pulsewidth
Adjustable PRF (BPS)
Burst Mode (Adjustable Rate and Dwell times)
Single-shot mode with adjustable PW and lock-out debounce

The single-shot mode allows you to specify pulse duration (up to 5ms) in my example, and also includes a lock-out circuit to prevent retriggering which has its own adjustable delay.

The complete design will be added to my website in a few days, but here is the preliminary schematic, excel design sheet to customize your interrupter, a front panel design, and the box the front panel design was designed for. The box, made by Serpac (Model 17S), is available in black and white in EMI style enclosure. I'll also be adding artwork to my website for download which is designed to go with the $51.00 ExpressPCB order (3 boards)

Enjoy!
1151408599 15 FT0 Modulator Panel01

Schematic (Preliminary)
]1151408599_15_FT0_advanced_modulator01.pdf[/ file]

Design Sheet - EXCEL
]1151408599_15_FT0_interrupter.zip[/file]

1151408599 15 FT0 Productssl17s
ragnar
Tue Jun 27 2006, 11:50AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Aw, cute!

How high does can the PW/PRF circuit theoretically go, disregarding the 300hz setting?
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jun 27 2006, 01:13PM
will depend on whatever the limitation of the 555 chip is and what the system is capable of.
coaster_chris
Tue Jun 27 2006, 07:18PM
coaster_chris Registered Member #359 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 09:27AM
Nice work Dan! It looks very good!
Might be something for me if I will get my SSTC working some day... cheesey

Chris
Reaching
Wed Jun 28 2006, 10:27AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
mhh, nice work dan, from what i understand you can adjust the PW and PRF independend from each other, so for example 100ys stays the same regardless on what you set the Pw? exactly what i want, dont need the other modes though. wink
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jun 28 2006, 11:38AM
Reaching wrote ...

mhh, nice work dan, from what i understand you can adjust the PW and PRF independend from each other, so for example 100ys stays the same regardless on what you set the Pw? exactly what i want, dont need the other modes though. wink

Yes. The PRF 555 is the classic 555 astable single RC oscillator producing pulses at some rate. These pulses are your overall PRF. The negative edge of these pulses is then used to trigger the PW 555 and produce a pulse which is output to the DRSSTC. Both are independent of each other. Its not my design, but lifted right out of one of the app notes on the 555 timer. The burst adjust is merely another gating and works an as OR basicaly to the output of the PW 555 chip. This burst mode addition was borrowed from Steve Ward's intteruptor circuit he has on his website.

I originally had planned on using a PIC based interruptor design with lots of features and the first prototype worked very well, but it just took too long to make different adjustments and got to be a pain in the arse. So, i went completely analog using discrete components so adjustments could be made very quickly on the fly.

I'll be uploading artwork, etc... to my website soon.

Reaching
Wed Jun 28 2006, 08:02PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
nice circuit, i tried it out today and it works really fine, you can adjust the on and off times nearly independend from each other, that is great.. but Dan whats the use of this diode in the circuit (1n4002)?there is no difference with or without the diode in place
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 29 2006, 12:39AM
Reaching wrote ...

nice circuit, i tried it out today and it works really fine, you can adjust the on and off times nearly independend from each other, that is great.. but Dan whats the use of this diode in the circuit (1n4002)?there is no difference with or without the diode in place

Recall, that there is no DC connection between U2 and U3 timer circuits. Each circuit is AC coupled only through capacitor, C7. When U2 output is in steady state (non-switching), the trigger input to U3 is pulled up to +9V through R9. Regardless if the output of U2 is low or high, the trigger input to U3 is pulled high. The only thing that the trigger wants to see is a negative going pulse (to less than 1/3 Vcc). When the output of U2 goes from high to low, this negative pulse will go through capacitor, C7 and pull the trigger input low, thereby triggering U3. However, when the output of U2 goes from low to high, there is a tendency for the trigger input voltage (because it is now DC decoupled) to go above +9V. This is where the diode, CR3 comes in. It protects the trigger input from excessive voltages as when the trigger input exceeds about 9.7 volts, it will conduct through the diode to the rail, and thereby reduce spiking.
Steve Conner
Thu Jun 29 2006, 09:14AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'll take this opportunity to pimp my DRSSTC interrupter too. tongue

Link2

It allows the pulse width to be adjusted from 10 to 300us and the rep rate from 0 to 200Hz. The adjustments don't interact with each other, and turning the rep rate control to zero puts it into a single shot mode with lockout. It doesn't have burst mode like EVR's design, but it does have a linear adjustment law, so you can easily make scales for the knobs, or use 10-turn pots with counter dials. I'm working on adding the long pulse feature that Ward used to such effect. wink

It also features the scopeboy.com exclusive "Big Red Lighty Up Skull And Crossbones Fire Button". wink
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 29 2006, 10:42AM
wrote ...

I'm working on adding the long pulse feature that Ward used to such effect.

Your circuit should be able to do the long pulsewidth feature as is in one-shot mode.

Anyways, here is my final schematic. I ordered the wrong switches (DPST instead of DPDT), so i had to make a few modifications to work with my front panel set-up. Works great!

]1151577766_15_FT12187_advanced_modulator01.pdf[/ file]
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: