Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Bens foray into building a cap bank with uzzors charger

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
vk2fro
Fri Jun 17 2011, 02:18PM Print
vk2fro Registered Member #3930 Joined: Sun Jun 05 2011, 07:27PM
I've got a small question regarding uzzors 50W capacitor charger.

I have basically made a modification that allows me to run caps in parrallel (450V) or series (900V) using a switch and second voltage divider. I've also removed the led circuit (mines getting a panel meter - 0-100 V range with a 10:1 voltage divider).

Here is the modified schematic (edited in none other than windows paint. Uzzors2k gets all credit for this schematic - its his work, sorry your copyright is missing mate - I used the left hand bit to do the copy/pasting!)

This should work correctly yes? I've spent a lot of time working out how a comparator works, and really I should know - I am an amateur radio operator after all - had to study this stuff to pass. Also renewed my knowledge of voltage dividers.

As far as I can tell the TL431 (which can be replaced by a LM336-2.5V, I hope), feeds the non inverting input, and when the voltage across either divider becomes greater than 2.5V, at the inverting pin, the comparator switches state, turning on the transistor and stopping charge.

Also I assume that switch is wired as normally closed, and pressing it / toggling it (the charge switch) allows the comparator to take over, charging the caps.

Otherwise the circuit would start charging unless the button is held down / switch is in the wrong position.

For substitution of parts due to what we have here at jaycar:

IRFP250: IRFP540
Bridge (on output) RGP10J : 4 x 1000v fast diodes
Indicator circuit: 100V panel meter (digital) with 1M + 100K resistor + 25k trimpot as voltage divider for the meter.

The trimpot will allow metering to be calibrated against a multimeter from 87V to 105V. So if I am looking at 430v on my meter, I want to adjust my panel meter to read 43.00 volts. (thus turning the 100volt meter into a 1kv one :P)

Any thought? have I made any errors here?

As an aside, I intend to use my bank for launching hard drive platters. I have 10 2400uf 450V capacitors to play with (and yes I know 2.43 kj is lethal, so have a smaller 330uf 450 v cap to experiment with until all my saftey precautions are in place!). Also some fun blowing up soft drink cans and bits of wire wouldn't go astray. Better get some ear defenders, leather gloves and some saftey glasses!

Cheers
Ben
1308320213 3930 FT0 Cap Charger Dual Range
currentkills91
Fri Jun 17 2011, 10:49PM
currentkills91 Registered Member #3831 Joined: Thu Apr 14 2011, 02:54PM
I like what you've done, and it should work, but you don't really need the second trimmer. Just add the second resistor to the same pot, and switch between the resistors. :)
vk2fro
Sat Jun 18 2011, 12:22AM
hey thanks for the reply - I thought "duh yeah dont need the second trimmer" then it dawned on me why its there -

We're charging caps, and if a marginal cap is in the bank ready to blow as soon as you go over 450V its better to have a trimmer per voltage range. The setting on the 950 v range may be different to the setting on the 450v range (My system will use logic and 2 big contactors to rearrange the cap bank from parrallel to series). I failed to mention that the range switch is part of a multipole relay, one of the sets changing the range on the charger, the other throwing the contactors.

I may need to include some logic to prevent this contact actioning unless the caps are discharged to a safe level). Or just a big sign on the control cabinet "DO NOT THROW RANGE SWITCH IN CHARGED STATE!" ;)

Am going to try and get some nice industrial saftey switches for the unit, and house the control panel in a seperate cabinet, so the operator can stand well back from exploding wires and flying hard drive platters. Will fit voltmeters to both bank and control box for saftey.

currentkills91
Sat Jun 18 2011, 01:58AM
Hmm, sounds interesting :D How big you want the switches to be? I might be able to help on those :D
vk2fro
Sat Jun 18 2011, 09:27AM
This is a typical press switch

Ux A11032500ux0173 Ux G

The press button depresses into the shroud around the button, preventing it being pressed accidentally (for example, by a dropped object, or someone leaning on the console). The ones I am after are backlit (and obviously dont need to carry anywhere near as much voltage or current - the contactors and relays will handle that).
currentkills91
Sun Jun 19 2011, 03:22AM
Well, I don't have anything like that. Radioshack sells some switches with covers over them - These - probably not what your looking for, but they would have the same concept really.
vk2fro
Mon Jun 20 2011, 02:48PM
yep - I have a missile switch for use as the pre firing switch - it'll disconnect the charging circuitry and enable the fire button / remote button.
vk2fro
Thu Jun 23 2011, 09:02AM
Well guys, what do you think of my little fiddle in Eagle cad?

I've designed up a board to accomodate a range of tank cap and inductor sizes, and has plenty of space for heatsinks on the mosfets (I got lazy too with compacting my components LOL).

I'd say keeping it like this gives a reasonable voltage standoff - hence I I didnt pack components in too tightly. Although the switch is located on board, I'd prefer to mount this and the 1 meg resistor off board.

Cheers
Ben
1308819743 3930 FT117994 Inverter
currentkills91
Thu Jun 23 2011, 11:06AM
Looks like its coming along nicely :D
Forty
Thu Jun 23 2011, 04:16PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
very nice. i designed a board for just the zvs part, didn't even attempt the regulator bit. make sure you put in some beefy traces for the high current areas, wouldn't want to print that nice board and have parts of it melt. i agree that placing the 1M resistor off board is a good idea, that way you don't have any high voltage on your board. use insulating pads for the fet heatsinks too, i've noticed you can get shocked by touching the sinks if they're not insulated.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: