Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A few questions about uzzor's boost converter

Move Thread LAN_403
jnbrex
Wed Jun 15 2011, 01:06AM Print
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
I have recently received the parts to build uzzor's boost converter, and have a few questions. This will be my first circuit assembly ever, so please bear with me.

1. On the LM311, I know that pin 7 is the output, pin 2 is the positive input, and pin 3 is the negative input. By researching I have come to the conclusion that pin 8 goes to the positive battery terminal, and that pins 1 and 4 are grounded. Is that true? If it is something different please correct me.

2. What can be used as a ground?

3. The positive battery terminal is located at the top of the circuit, but the negative is not marked. I have come to the conclusion that the negative terminal is located just before the ground, is that correct?

4. I designed a stripboard schematic, but I am sure it wastes tons of space and uses many wires for connections. Does anyone have a stripboard schematic for the boost converter?

Link2
is the schematic of the boost converter.
Thank you!
currentkills91
Wed Jun 15 2011, 01:31AM
currentkills91 Registered Member #3831 Joined: Thu Apr 14 2011, 02:54PM
1-Yes that is all correct.

2-The ground is just going to be the negative terminal of your battery.

3-The negative is actually marked, it's the little symbol hanging off the bottom of everything, so yeah that's correct.

4-I can't help you with this one sadly, just try and lay it out neatly and get it to work first, if this is your first project.

Good luck with it (:
coldcity
Wed Jun 15 2011, 01:35AM
coldcity Registered Member #1406 Joined: Thu Mar 20 2008, 12:12PM
Hi -- I'll take a stab as I'm about to build it myself :)

1. Yep, spot on.

2. It's a slightly misleading term when you're thinking in terms of battery circuits that aren't connected to a ground! In this context it's simply a common connection point that goes to 0v (the negative battery terminal). In the circuit diagram you linked to, everything connected to the top line goes to positive as indicated, and the ground symbol just signifies that everything connected to that bottom line is connected to 0v. So pick a track on your stripboard layout, and call it "ground" :)

3. Negative batt connected straight to ground as above.

4. If you want a really small one, you could try and reverse-engineer the stripboard layout from the photo at the bottom of Uzzors' page!

I'll possibly do a layout when I build mine -- I usually build ham-style, "dead bug" on a piece of unetched single-sided PCB, but the fact most of the circuit is those two chips means I might try and find a piece of stripboard in the junk box :)
coldcity
Wed Jun 15 2011, 01:36AM
coldcity Registered Member #1406 Joined: Thu Mar 20 2008, 12:12PM
Whoops, sorry currentkills.
currentkills91
Wed Jun 15 2011, 09:33AM
currentkills91 Registered Member #3831 Joined: Thu Apr 14 2011, 02:54PM
Haha, ya gave more in depth answers then I did anyway :p
jnbrex
Wed Jun 22 2011, 10:28PM
So, I finished the circuit today. Unfortunately whenever i use it, it charges to 3-4 volts... then stops. I've measured the input power as 12.5v, so I'm using enough power. I tested every connection and they're all good, so I have no idea what is causing the circuit not to work.
Does anyone have any idea what could cause the circuit to only charge to 4 volts? That could probably identify the problem.
Saz43
Wed Jun 22 2011, 11:42PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Something is definitely not right. Check your layout again. If you look at the schematic, your battery should be connected to the capacitor bank through the inductor and output diode. Even if the boost wasn't working, the capacitor bank will charge to at least battery voltage if everything is connected right.
jnbrex
Thu Jun 23 2011, 12:12AM
Well I think I may have found the problem... I tried again numerous times, and it charged to 11 volts once. Eventually I started to smell something smoky in the air, and found that the MOSFET was extremely hot! I quickly turned off the circuit, grabbed a piece of aluminum heatsink, and pressed it to the MOSFET. My conclusion is that the diode is faulty, and failed, letting the current from the inductor avalanche into the MOSFET. I'm waiting for everything to cool down, and praying that the MOSFET isn't completely destroyed.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: