Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Reluctance Coilgun Sniper Rifle

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
PSCG
Fri May 20 2011, 05:31PM Print
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Reluctance Coilgun Sniper Rifle

Project Started: June 2010
Project Completed: N/A (work in progress)

The first post will be updated as progress is made.

General Information:

• Name: PSCG 400 A (Portable Sniper Coil Gun, 400 Joule, Revision A).

• Stages: 1

• Design: Rifle.

• Projectile loading: Single shot / Bolt action.

• Capacitor switching: Originally an IXYS CS35 - 12IO4 SCR. Changed to 2 Teccor SK8065K (paralleled) after destroying the gate of the CS35 - 12IO4 from over voltage.

Power source:

• Battery: 12v/4.7Ah Li - Ion (from portable computer).

Capacitor Charging:

• Charger: 29W Boost Converter - Uzzors2k style (hopefully 80% efficiency)

Accelerator Coil:

• Inductance: 100 uH (no projectile) - ~175uH (projectile in the middle).

• Resistance: 180 mOhms.

• Length: 6 cm (2.34 inches).

• Inner diameter: 13 mm (0.51 inches).

• Layers: 3.5

• Wire size: 18 AWG

Storage Capacitor:

• Capacitance: 3900 mF (with a 150 uF as a DC - DC converter filter).

• Operating voltage: 450 V

• ESR (estimated): 30 mOhms

Projectile:

• Length: 15 mm (0.59 inches).

• Diameter: 12.7 mm (0.50 inches).

• Mass: 15 gr

• Material: Type 1006 steel.

Estimated Values:

• Projectile Exit Velocity: 46 m/s

• Projectile Kinetic Energy: 16 Joules.

• Momentum: 0.69 Kg/m/s

• Storage capacitor Charge Time: 15 seconds.

• Efficiency: 3.9%

Details:

• Barrel Length: 70 cm (27.5 inches).

• Total Weight: 4 Kg

But before this project come to life, i need some help and i have some questions:

1: I have problems with the booster charger. When i try to charge the capacitor, i can hear the 555 osc but i have no high voltage output. I cannot understand why this is happening. The boost converter circuit comes from Another Coilgun Site (ACG 188 booster charger).

2: I selected the length of the coil to be 4 times the length of the projectile. I know that in a good coilgun project the length of the projectile must be about the same length of that of the coil. I selected that length because i want the pulse from the capacitor to pass before the projectile reaches the center of the coil. But can the projectile be accelerated to 46m/s, even if it's only the 1/4 of the coil's length?

3: I'm searching for a good scematic charger about Li - ion batteries. Can someone help me with this?

Below you can see my current progress. It's only the main body, nothing electronic on it
(sorry about the low quality image, it was taken from a really old K700i mobile phone)

1305912663 3792 FT0 Pscg 410 A

================================================ =============

Update (13/08/2011):

After a long time i finally had some results. Below is main assembly construction. Still a lot of work to be done.

Main Assembly (left to right):

3900 uF/450 V storage capacitor.
Projectile loader.
Coil with thyristor trigger assembly mounted.
Dampening switch (Q - switch).

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Test Bench

Modules:

Li - Ion battery pack module.
Power management module.
Li - Ion battery charger.
SCRr triggering module.

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Sub Assem

Projectiles:

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Proj

Current Appearance:

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Now

Scope view:

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Scope

Small Update:

The Li - ion battery pack was finally changed to implement the ability to monitor the charge - discharge rate. This is neccessery to prevent battery pack from being charged or discharged not equal, leading to battery pack explosion. Still to built the battery pack monitor (shunt type equilizer) .

=============================================== ==============

Update (07/09/2011):

Added RLC and full system simulations.

RLC simulation (by Barry of course smile):

1315385536 3792 FT0 Pscg 410 A Rlc Sim

Full system simulation (Coil Gun Simulator by William Harriss):

1315385536 3792 FT0 Pscg 410 A System Sim

Small Update:

The difference in calculated peak current between the two simulations is caused by the difference of the coil resistance: i wasn't careful enough to notice that the Coil Gun Simulator already accounted for the coil resistance and i added it's resistance as an external (cabling) one. The new simulation is below:

1315554385 3792 FT116007 Pscg 410 A System Sim 2

================================================ =============

Update (08/09/2011):

First test fire at half energy (200 Joules - no accelerator coil and projectile position adjustments for best position). Results are very promising although i have not recorded projectile's speed. It left a good mark on a piece of hard wood.

=========================================== ==================

Update (16/09/2011)

Completed the projectile accelerator module (barrel, firing coil, projectile loader, energy storage capacitor, etc). Added an optical projectile sensor (infrared LED + maching photodiode from an optoisolator) for sensing the projectile existance in the barrel (if no projectile exists, SCR cannot triggered - protection against dryfire EMF and wasted energy).

Completed the Li - ion battery charger design. Awaiting components.

Completed a Rogowski coil current sensor - probe. Calibration required.

Started building a new SCR module (to include the optical projectile sensor) .

=============================================== ==============

Update (27/09/2011):

Completed the Li - ion battery charger and protection board. Tests will follow.

Still working on the SCR trigger board. Trigger input PFN (pulse forming network) from the fire switch to be designed and implemented.

Started building a Mazzili ZVS topology capacitor charger (by Uzzor2k). Ferrite core windings are on the way. This will replace the boost DC - DC converter (that never worked as expected). Hopefully, next week i'll have the first test results.

======================================== ====================

Update (28/09/2011):

Minor update. Mazzili ZVS topology capacitor charger current progress:

Dc Converter

The 10K resistors and the 15V zener diodes are under the board.

========================================== ===================

Update (24/10/2011):

It has been a long time since last update. Work continues, although due to school i have not enough time to work on it.

SCR trigger module is complete (not tested yet).

A serious "space" problem arose: Li - ion battery charger and Mazzili ZVS capacitor charger does not fit into place. I need to redo the battery charger or the capacitor charger and this will cost a lot of time.

I made some tests again with the boost topology capacitor charger. I changed the coil with a bigger salvaged from an ATX PSU (no idea what value of inductance has). This time i had better results (but not what i hoped to): It charged a 1000 uF/450 V capacitor till 400 V. This indicates that i need to find the correct duty cycle in order to get higher voltage output.

========================================= ====================

Update (21/11/2011):

After reading about the V - Switch and it's operation, i came up with an idea. The schematic diagram follows (just for presentation purpose - it is not operational). It works exactly like the original V -Switch (i only changed the voltage rating of C2):

1321904273 3792 FT116007 V Switch

C1: Main storage capacitor.
C2: Quench capacitor.
L1: Acceleration coil.
D1 - R1: BEMF quench components.
SCR1: Main switching thyristors.
SCR2: Quench switching thyristor.

D1 and R1 can be omitted if an unpolarized capacitor for C2 is used.

The idea is to turn off the SCR1 not at the time when the current peaks. Instead, we switch it off when the voltage of C1 has reached a certain voltage (here, 100 VDC).

1321905658 3792 FT116007 Pscg 410 A Quench

A is the SCR1 turn off point (and SCR2 turn on point). The current drops to 0 (at t = 2 ms) and the voltage of C1 remains at ~100 VDC. That means we have reduced the pulse width time from Toff = 2.7 to Toff = 2 ms, with further reduction of the suckback effect and an increase of the projectile speed.

Small Update:

There was an error of the point A position as drawn (placed on the current graph instead of the voltage graph). The correct simulation is below:

1321965064 3792 FT123895 Pscg 410 A Quench
Fnord
Sun May 22 2011, 07:07PM
Fnord Registered Member #2004 Joined: Sat Feb 28 2009, 11:43PM
I can answer your question regarding projectile length...

The reason most people use a projectile the same length as the coil is because it allows the most interaction between the field and the projectile. The efficiency will be higher, but the projectile speed will probably be quite a bit lower. If you want a trade-off you can use a piece of 1/2" steel tubing (think brakeline) and add an iron slug in the frontmost portion. This will increase overall field interaction while reducing weight, and will also stabilize the projectile in flight.
PSCG
Mon Jun 13 2011, 10:17AM
Thanks for the reply Fnord. I tried your suggestion with a smaller coilgun i built (just 150 J - 5.56mm projectile diameter).... instant and successful results!!!!

For the coil - projectile problem i have also thought about the inductive projectiles. That's it, a second coil instead of a ferromagnetic projectile. No magnetic saturation, no projectile slotting, no eddy current losses.... It seems that they must be the perfect coilgun projectiles.
Artikbot
Thu Jun 16 2011, 10:04AM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
Hi PSCG,

That's one impressive body you have there!! That must be, together with Saz43's massive nuke coilgun, the most impressive body I've seen!

Concerning the charger, why not using uzzors2k's boost converter design? It has a proven reliability and a decent power.

To adaptate it to Lithium batteries I suggest changing the non inverting input of the LM311 with either a 5V zener or a 7805 regulator, and adjusting the inverting input accordingly; or either get an LM317T and adjust it to output 6V, that's what Uzzors designed his divider for. I will deduce you're using 2S batteries (7.4V nominal), but if you step up to 3S you'll see higher powers and a notch higher efficiencies.

If you still want to use your charger (which I understand, I've ran across similar issues), to start with, why don't you check that your diode can recover fast enough? Sometimes it is simply slow and blocks the current.

At what voltage does it get stuck?
PSCG
Fri Jun 17 2011, 09:34AM
This one year was dedicated building the body of the coilgun. 12 months of carefull design, obtaining pieces, cutting, milling, drilling, checking for corrections.... I am planning to post it to World's Coilgun Arsenal page and so, i tried to make it as good as i could (P.S. : i still have many to do before the body is completed).

For the charger problem, i use Uzzor's2k boost converter, but i changed the inductor with the one of the ACG booster charger. The value of the inductor i constructed is unknown, so there is a chance that the problem is the inductor. The diode i use is an HFA08TB60, specifically designed for such applications (diode was taken from an ATX power supply and has been fully tested).

The voltage that the charger stopped was about 200V. I should also check the duty cycle of the 555 osc. I've read that the Voutmax of a booster charger is found using the equation Voutmax < Vin/(1-max duty) and maybe the problem is the duty cycle (but i don't believe it). Uzzors2k booster charger FAQ has an answer for that problem, but it's referred to battery power, not the inductor value.

For the Lithium battery charger i've followed instructions from many lithium battery charger IC's and i found that the LM317T solution might be the only cheap and easy and i'll stick with it. I doubt if i can make it work efficient but it's the only way.
PSCG
Wed Jul 13 2011, 04:56PM
After a long time i finally had some results. Below is the test bench for the energy storage, projectile loading, switching, EMF dampening sub - assemblies and also power management and thyristor triggering sub - assemblies.

From left to right:

3900uF/450V capacitor
Projectile loader
Coil with thyristor trigger assembly
Dampening switch (Q-switch)

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Test Bench

Li - Ion battery pack *
Power management module
Li - Ion battery charger *
Thyristor triggring module

(*: subject to change)

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Sub Assem

Projectiles:

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Proj

Current appearance:

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Now

Scope view smile :

1310576153 3792 FT116007 Pscg Scope

UPDATE : The Li - ion battery pack was finally changed, to be able to monitor the charging - discharging sequence. This is neccessery to prevent battery pack from being charged or discharged not equal, leading to battery pack explosion. Still to built the battery pack monitor (shunt type equilizer).

UPDATE 07/09/2011 : Added RLC and full system simulations.

RLC simulation (by Barry of course smile):

1315385536 3792 FT0 Pscg 410 A Rlc Sim

Full system simulation (Coil Gun Simulator by William Harriss):

1315385536 3792 FT0 Pscg 410 A System Sim

UPDATE 16/09/2011

Completed the projectile accelerator module (barrel, firing coil, projectile loader, energy storage capacitor, etc). Added an optical projectile sensor (infrared LED + maching photodiode from an optoisolator) for sensing the projectile existance in the barrel (if no projectile exists, SCR cannot triggered - protection against dryfire EMF and wasted energy).

Completed the Li - ion battery charger design. Awaiting components.

Completed a Rogowski coil current sensor - probe. Calibration required.

Started building a new SCR module (to include the optical projectile sensor).
Capacitor energy dump trigger topology.

UPDATE 27/09/2011 :

Completed the Li - ion battery charger and protection board. Tests will follow.

Still working on the SCR trigger board. Trigger input PFN (pulse forming network) from the fire switch to be designed and implemented.

Started building a Mazzili ZVS topology capacitor charger (by Uzzor2k). Ferrite core windings are on the way. This will replace the boost DC - DC converter (that never worked as expected). Hopefully, next week i'll have the first test results.

UPDATE 28/09/2011:

Minor update. Mazzili ZVS topology capacitor charger current progress:

Dc Converter

The 10K resistors and the 15V zener diodes are under the board.

UPDATE 24/10/2011:

It has been a long time since last update. Work continues, although due to school i have not enough time to work on it.

SCR trigger module is complete (not tested yet).

A serious "space" problem arose: Li - ion battery charger and Mazzili ZVS capacitor charger does not fit into place. I need to redo the battery charger or the capacitor charger and this will cost a lot of time.

I made some trials again with the boost topology capacitor charger. I changed the coil with a bigger salvaged from an ATX PSU (no idea what value of inductance has). This time i had better results (but not what i hoped to). The results indicate that it is necessary to find the correct duty cycle in order to get higher voltage output.
PSCG
Wed Sept 07 2011, 09:10AM
Updated the thread with simulations.
Forty
Wed Sept 07 2011, 11:43AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I peak doesn't match up between the two simulators.
PSCG
Thu Sept 08 2011, 08:09AM
Yes, that's why i'm posting the simulations.

I trust Barry's RLC simulator, so it must be a bug with the Coilgun Simulator. Does anyone know why is this happening?

Also yesterday i made the first test fires with very good results (even without any adjustment for the projectile - coil position and with only the half energy - 200 J). Results are very promising, and i may reached or passed the 2.5% efficiency.
Adrenaline
Thu Sept 08 2011, 12:39PM
Adrenaline Registered Member #235 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 04:59PM
Barry's has an R of 215mOhm.
The Coilgun Simulator calculated 185mOhm for the coil and looks like 215mOhm was added to it (that was entered)?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: