Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Railgun Switch Idea

Move Thread LAN_403
Forty
Thu May 26 2011, 10:31PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
no that's a great idea inducktion. but if you halved the power for each rail, with the goal of having the power be combined through the projectile, then you'll still have the same spot welding problems with the stationary projectile.
Electroholic
Fri May 27 2011, 09:49AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Inducktion wrote ...

Is my idea not any good then? No one's said anything about it...

IMHO, it is a complete waste of time.
The two switch solution you proposed will have the two switches in a series connection. Increasing the number of high current connections and complexity, not to mention the effects on total ESR and ESL.
And then there is the problem with precisely synchronizing the turnon.
All in all, I think if you already have a switch suitable for railgun use, it would be much easier to double its voltage rating than to use two in series, and try to get the whole mess to work.
Fraggle
Fri May 27 2011, 02:09PM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
big5824 wrote ...

Going from what iv learnt from the past 3 years of browsing, id say that amount of energy with a stationary projectile is going to cause too much heating at the area where it meets the rails, I can see it just turning into a glorified arc welder. An injector would spread the heat out more evenly, and it could probably get the projectile into tighter fitting rails than by hand (just a guess)

If you think carefully about it you`ll see that it`s really the other way round - if you inject the projectile then only a small fracton of the contact area will conduct a lot of the energy, increasing the chance of welding etc...
klugesmith
Fri May 27 2011, 03:41PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Fraggle wrote ...
If you think carefully about it you`ll see that it`s really the other way round - if you inject the projectile then only a small fracton of the contact area will conduct a lot of the energy, increasing the chance of welding etc...
I respectfully disagree. The ideal railgun circuit is not a RC network but a RLC (with time-varying rail-loop RLC and electric motor back-EMF).
The current begins to ramp up when the circuit is closed. In a good design, the energy delivery should be spread out over the entire time the projectile is between the rails. Like propellant "powder" grains in a gun, sized for a burn rate that matches the projectile time in barrel.
Electroholic
Sat May 28 2011, 03:03AM
I think the injector system started as a solution to the railgun switching problem. it is nothing but an air actuated mechanical switch, which has its own drawbacks. Namely the amount of contact area available at switch on. Which is usually solved by increasing injection velocity, and increasing ESL to slow the dA/dt.

Also the welding problem is nothing but a myth. Most amateur railguns I've seen have too small a capacitor bank to work properly, not to mention sloppy construction.
Fraggle
Mon May 30 2011, 12:32AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
Klugesmith wrote ...

I respectfully disagree. The ideal railgun circuit is not a RC network but a RLC (with time-varying rail-loop RLC and electric motor back-EMF).
The current begins to ramp up when the circuit is closed. In a good design, the energy delivery should be spread out over the entire time the projectile is between the rails. Like propellant "powder" grains in a gun, sized for a burn rate that matches the projectile time in barrel.

I can`t argue with that but the inductance is very low right? I`m betting an injector is more trouble than it`s worth to get right. I`ve never actually made a railgun though!
Navrit Bal
Mon May 30 2011, 01:11PM
Navrit Bal Registered Member #3323 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:19PM
With my pretty pathetic attempt at making a railgun a while ago now, I didn't have an injection system, the projectile was stationary and it DID weld itself to the rails multiple times, although the plasma generated by that was propelled in the direction expected. So, Electroholic I respectfully disagree that the welding in railguns is a myth... unless I have misunderstood something of course :D
Electroholic
Tue May 31 2011, 03:02AM
I admit, "myth" might not have been the best word to describe it. In fact it happens a lot in amateur built guns.

I guess what i meant was that, the statement "welding will occur unless you have injector" is a myth.

I'm just going to leave this old thread here.
Link2
rp181
Tue May 31 2011, 04:15AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Welding only means you do not have enough current. It takes a lot to achieve the diamagnetic affect.
It is more efficient to start the projectiles in the rail, but is simply not economical for hobbyist.

The myth of an injector preventing welding is simply due to powerlabs. If this is the case, why doesn't the CO2 shielding gas in MIG welding prevent welding? The magnitude of energy is very different.
If you keep resistance and inductance low, the current would actually be done flowing before the projectile was fully in the rails, but it is not an ideal world. The projectile loses contact (more likley as you have to make it looser to allow the injector to work), hence the plasma:
Link2
Now you can do this outside of the bore through a switch, or inside. The bore is already built to withstand the forces; you just make the most of the plasma to propel your projectile. This also becomes useful with the winged design, to prevent further vaporization. You can't do this outside.
After my railgun shots, it was clear the wings had done their job. It was also clear there was large palsma production in front of the projectile, but what are you gonna do.
The link posted above me is very good. Coincidently his bore design is similar to mine, though he used GP03 and i used G11. I did stress analysis of this design:
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
This was designed to withstand 120,000 pounds of repulsive force between the rails and 60,000psi of bore pressure.

Kluge: You should not intentionally lengthen the pulse time, it simply wastes energy. Rather, the system should be designed around this.

Sorry for deviating a bit...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: