Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Railgun Switch Idea

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
steve516
Sat May 14 2011, 09:28PM Print
steve516 Registered Member #3832 Joined: Thu Apr 14 2011, 11:57PM
I'm currently in a group building a 2.5kJ railgun for our AP Physics final. (I found awesome caps on eBay- 450V 8,000uF for only $7 a piece) Well, one of the issues we realized we have is the lack of an adequate triggering system. It seems fairly obvious that with the 10kA+ surge any normal switch would explode, and we even considered modifying or trying a circuit breaker, but I'm not even sure how those work or if it is plausible.

So today I was looking around my basement and noticed one of those wooden spring loaded Victor mouse traps. I played with it for a while and then started wondering- if I pulled out all the triggering crap and just had the spring w/ arm, and then welded/ mounted two copper plates, each about 2x2, one on the swinging arm and the other where it hits, I may have a damn good switch!

Google turns up results that show these things close in under 1/60th of a second, which means the time from no to full contact should be perfect with almost no bounce because of the spring being there.

Does this sound plausible? a 2"x2" copper plate could take a lot of current I believe!

Steve
Turkey9
Sat May 14 2011, 11:17PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I would go with a railgun design that uses an injector. This way, the projectile is the switch.

Have your two rails connected directly to the caps and then use a spring or compressed air to shoot the projectile into the rails closing the circuit and firing the gun.
Inducktion
Sat May 14 2011, 11:44PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Why not try a two phase system? Make one branch charged up to 400 volts relative to ground, then the other branch charge up to -400 volts to ground. Put the two together over a coil, using two separate switches and basically halving the power requirements.

Just my two cents. :D
rp181
Sun May 15 2011, 12:04AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I would go with an injector. Take a look at Quick Exhaust Valves (QEV's, common in the spudding world) a 1/4" QEV with a air tank will work well. With my 1/2" bore, I used a 3/4" qev:
Link2
Electroholic
Wed May 25 2011, 03:29AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
How about the sacrificial SCR idea?

Before triggering, SCR will block off the voltage, at trigger, junctions fuse together to form a conduction path. This way you only have to rate your scr to the standoff voltage. and to be structurally strong enough to hold together long enough for the pulse.
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed May 25 2011, 09:52AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Puck SCRs have surge ratings of 30kA+; I'm sure one would work for your application.
They're also not terribly expensive new, and even less so on Ebay.
klugesmith
Thu May 26 2011, 01:35PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Let's say you want to start with a stationary armature between the rails, as opposed to shooting it in with an injector mechanism.

Your idea of a mechanical closing switch, with terminals slammed together by a rat or mouse trap bail, should be fine. Contacts can be much smaller (and lighter) than 2" square. Barry presents many details here: Link2 You may also want extra series inductance to shape the current pulse, but I'm no railgun expert.

For voltages of at least 1000 V, I believe most can-crusher / coin-shrinker hobbyists have abandoned electronically triggered switches in favor of mechanically triggered spark gaps (in which the electrodes don't actually touch, and may be closed slowly). This can-crusher switch has just one moving part, not counting lanyard and return spring, and can handle 25 kA peaks (as can AWG10 wire, for short enough pulses).
1306415793 2099 FT115536 Dscn0438
The electrodes are from a drawer-knob and a water faucet handle.
steve516
Thu May 26 2011, 05:39PM
steve516 Registered Member #3832 Joined: Thu Apr 14 2011, 11:57PM
thanks for the advice guys! let you know how it turns out!
big5824
Thu May 26 2011, 07:15PM
big5824 Registered Member #1687 Joined: Tue Sept 09 2008, 08:47PM
Going from what iv learnt from the past 3 years of browsing, id say that amount of energy with a stationary projectile is going to cause too much heating at the area where it meets the rails, I can see it just turning into a glorified arc welder. An injector would spread the heat out more evenly, and it could probably get the projectile into tighter fitting rails than by hand (just a guess)
Inducktion
Thu May 26 2011, 08:36PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Is my idea not any good then? No one's said anything about it...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: