Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCR rating

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Fri Mar 11 2011, 03:29AM Print
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Sorry for this over asked question but I really don’t want to mess this up, I am building my new 356 joule coil gun and have been testing it. I am using two nails for a switch which is not very efficient, very dangerous and defiantly not portable (which is what I plan on). I found this SCR on mouser Link2 will this with stand a 450v 3600uf capacitor bank?.Also I have read that I need a diode to protect the caps from reverse voltage, but I also heard that this causes suck back to happen. Could you please help me find the Diode and SCR rating I need. Thank you

here is a video of the coilgun in action Link2
Turkey9
Fri Mar 11 2011, 04:33AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I don't think a single one of those SCRs would hold up. You really need to simulate your coil using Barry's sims and find the estimated peak current.

The reverse diode is really to protect everything. The back emf will blow your scr before the caps get damaged. Put it in parallel with your coil with orientation so that the current during discharge won't flow through it. It won't cause suckback at all. It simply absorbs all the left over energy that wasn't put into the projectile.
ZakWolf
Fri Mar 11 2011, 05:22AM
would mouser carry an SCR capable of handling that amount of power. what would i be looking for?
Turkey9
Fri Mar 11 2011, 06:51AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
You can hook them in parallel for added current handling capabilities. Add the surge currents of each and down rate by 80%.
ZakWolf
Fri Mar 11 2011, 05:02PM
I was looking at higher rated SCR's would this work or do i need to put them in parallel Link2 . If i put them in parallel i just face them in the same direction so that the Gate, Anode, Cathode are together correct? Could i also turn on the SCR with 3v or would that kill it?
Saz43
Fri Mar 11 2011, 07:50PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
It all depends. Here's what you have to do in order to answer your questions:

1. Go here Link2 and simulate your coil. This is easy to do if you have a ruler.

2. Ho here Link2 and simulate your RLC circuit. Also easy to do provided you have completed step 1.

3. Check the data sheet for your SCR to see if it can handle the peak current estimated in step 2. Take the average forward current rating of the SCR and multiply by 10 for an estimate of peak current handeling.

4. Will 3V fry your SCR? Check the data sheet for V_gate and I_gate to know how to trigger your SCR.

I'd also reccomend eBay for SCRs. I got the monster SCR (800V, 3500A) for my coilgun for only $25.
Nice coilgun by the way. It seems to be working very well for a preliminary design. Keep it up!
ZakWolf
Sat Mar 12 2011, 12:40AM
thanks for checking it out. i will look over the scr data sheet and try out those simulators
Inducktion
Wed Mar 16 2011, 08:07PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Just a quick question, when putting SCR's in parallel, generally what needs to be done? And also, I believe I have two types of SCR's, ones 1200 volts and the other is 600 volts, but they can both handle 610 amps of peak current. Would it be unwise to parallel them due to their voltage differences, or will they be fine? They're the same series so I don't believe it would be an issue. h

Here's a link to their datasheets.
Link2

thanks
Shrad
Wed Mar 16 2011, 08:19PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
if anyone is interested, I have BIG thyristors varying from 400A pulse to 1000A pulse, brick models with dual series thyristor

EDIT:

confirmed for 6 AEG 1200V 200Amps (3600 amps max pulse discharge), if you're interested please tell me so we can work something (I need wire... mucho wire...)
James
Mon Apr 11 2011, 09:16PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
The sort of SCR you're looking for are the big stud mount things of the sort used in early generation industrial motor controls, electric forklifts and diesel electric locomotives.

In my capacitive discharge spot welder I used a 100A 1200V SCR because it's what I found for a good deal on ebay. I've measured the peak discharge current out of the 1F capacitor bank at just under 10kA and the SCR has held up so far.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: