Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Charging problems (too fast)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
yoyoweb
Sat Mar 05 2011, 01:42PM Print
yoyoweb Registered Member #3744 Joined: Sat Mar 05 2011, 12:40PM
Hello everybody ! i apologise if my english is not very good.

For my coilgun, i try to chage the caps bank (4x470µF = 1880µF and 450) as fast as possible !

For this i use a 9.6 V Ni-Cd battery who power an ocsillator, then a transformer and a voltage multiplier and here is my problem :

I have too much voltage ! the caps bank raise to 450V in around 8s but they are only charged at 50%

I think it must seems like this :
http://img846.imageshack.us/i/elev4.png/
And if i reduce the output voltage around 500 V, it take 45 to 60 s to charge the capacitors (really too long for me).
So, how can i reduce the charging time by charging near full capacity ? maybe by raising the current ?

Thanks and sorry if this question was already post, it didn't find it.

[Edit: Fixed link]
Marko
Sat Mar 05 2011, 02:06PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi,

just curious, what kind of oscillator are you using?

If it's a royer driving an ATX PSU transformer in reverse or something similar, you can use a comparator with hysteresis to turn it's gate drive on and off (via series PNP transistor) by feedback from the output.

Marko
yoyoweb
Sat Mar 05 2011, 02:17PM
Here is my circuit !!

[http://img225.imageshack.us/i/grapho.png/
Marko
Sat Mar 05 2011, 02:35PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi,

you could still apply the same for your circuit... just use a LM311 or similar to compare divided output voltage to a reference and pull the base of your bjt down when it reaches a limit. Add some positive feedback to keep the system stable.

Marko
yoyoweb
Sat Mar 05 2011, 02:55PM
Thanks for your answer ! can you explain me how does it work please ? what will be the effects ?
genious 7
Sat Mar 05 2011, 09:07PM
genious 7 Registered Member #2887 Joined: Sat May 29 2010, 11:10PM
He means having an operational amplifier (Such as LM311) to compare your actual voltage with a reference voltage. When the actual cap voltage reaches your reference voltage, it turns off the supply. When it discharges below the reference voltage, the supply turns on again.

Oviously inputing 450 V into any operational amplifier will kill it, so you will need a voltage divider (made of resistors). Don't forget to scale down your reference voltage accordingly. You could have the reference voltage from a zener.

Hysterisis means, lets say, the supply turns off as soon as it passes 450 V. It should not turn on again when it goes below 450V, but instead, something lower, like (Guessing a number), 400V. This avoids repetitive on off cycles.

To Illustrate the concept, see this Link2

Bear in mind this is just to illustrate the concept, as it has several practical and technical flaws. Do not replicate.
If you need help for a good design, I could try, altough more experienced members will have a better solution.
yoyoweb
Sun Mar 06 2011, 11:48AM
Ok i understood ! i may just remove the voltage doubler and add a 12 V battery with more current (and another npn transistor) instead of my litte Ni-Cd 9.6 V.
What do you think about it ?
genious 7
Mon Mar 07 2011, 03:15AM
Remember you would still need to rectify it to be able to charge the cap.

The 12v battery should work, but I haven't done any math about it. Maybe you would need to change the resistors values or wattages as well. Anyways, the move to the 12V battery will help.

Is portability (batteries) a requirement? There might be easier ways to make it work if it isn't.
yoyoweb
Mon Mar 07 2011, 12:24PM
Yes it must be portable!
I have 2 questions :
Is it better toincrease the voltage with a voltage doubleur or put a battery with more voltage ?
And if i put 2 caps in parallel + 2 in parallel the all in série, it skould be 470 uF and 800 v. So in that way it should be easier to charge isn't it ?
genious 7
Mon Mar 07 2011, 10:49PM
Is it better toincrease the voltage with a voltage doubleur or put a battery with more voltage ?

As the application is charging capacitors, I'd say they are just two different ways to do it. Eliminating the multiplier would certainly make the circuit simpler, although you would need to recalculate resistors and transistors.

And if i put 2 caps in parallel + 2 in parallel the all in série, it skould be 470 uF and 800 v. So in that way it should be easier to charge isn't it ?

Well, due to the greater voltage tolerance, it is certainly more difficult to over volt, a more resistant solution. Nevertheless, you will need to recalculate the coil gun's coil parameters. You should really check Barry's Coil Gun Page. I personally haven't built any, so don't take my comments as finals.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: