Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil Gun

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
earth3
Sun Feb 27 2011, 07:48AM Print
earth3 Registered Member #3721 Joined: Sun Feb 27 2011, 04:43AM
Hi guys im making a coil gun. any advice is welcome. i really need some advice on salvaging parts like capacitors and SCRs. I will upload my progress if i make any :D. And if any one has any ideas on making a better capacitor charger pls post back.(it shouldn't be much expensive also i'm a poor guy:-D)
Sulaiman
Sun Feb 27 2011, 09:28AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Using the words 'Lethal' and 'Gun' together gives a bad impression !

Look around this forum for sources of materials; it's a well covered topic.
Barry
Sun Feb 27 2011, 03:09PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
It's relatively easy to make a coilgun that works. It's rather difficult to build a coilgun that works really, really well.

Your first coilgun should be smaller to figure things out and get the hang of it. Don't invest much time in styling and compactness until you know that what you build will work.

Compare and buy capacitors by "price per joule." Get a calculator and compute this figure for any capacitor that you're considering to buy. Their energy storage depends on both voltage and capacitance: Energy (joules) = 1/2 C V^2

The capacitor voltage level isn't critical so look for capacitors with a voltage rating in the range of 100 to 500 volts. You can always connect them in various series or parallel arrangements to get whatever total voltage you want to use.

Check this for a few words about the energy budget.

The total stored energy (joules) must be at least 10j to get a small projectile to move at all. A nice total stored energy for your first coilgun should be about 100j to get some really fun results. A truly impressive coilgun with wildly dangerous behavior (in more ways than one!) will have 1,000j or more.

Does anyone know what's up with SCR prices on eBay lately? Five years ago I could get big stud SCRs for $5 each but now they're listed at $20 to $50 or more. Search eBay for "stud SCR" and you'll see what I mean. This is a disappointing turn of events.

Cheers, Barry
In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people rather angry and is generally considered to have been a bad move.

ZakWolf
Sun Feb 27 2011, 08:22PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
How do you calculate what kind of SCR you need power wise, it's my understanding they can be well over there rated voltage/amps for a short burst.
aarpcard
Mon Feb 28 2011, 02:15AM
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
A gauss gun is not a coil gun. A gauss gun operates on a completely different principal and uses permanent magnets instead of a magnetic field produced by an electric field.

Look at these examples for a gauss gun.

Link2

Link2

Link2
guitarlord66
Mon Feb 28 2011, 02:45AM
guitarlord66 Registered Member #1805 Joined: Sat Nov 08 2008, 06:29AM
By stating you got the idea from Cysis, the gun in that game resembles a portable rail gun more than a coil gun.
Zero
Mon Feb 28 2011, 04:13PM
Zero Registered Member #3588 Joined: Sat Jan 08 2011, 11:19AM
Dude....please...dont say a Gauss Gun is made of magnets...youre making an ass of yourself.

I believe every Coil oder Railgun is a Gauss Weapon. Not sure why, because Gauss had nothing to do with weapons. Lorentz Gun would fit...
aarpcard
Tue Mar 01 2011, 01:21AM
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
If I don't know what I'm talking about, then you definitely don't know what you're talking about. 'I believe every Coil oder Railgun is a Gauss Weapon.' And then you say you don't know why you think that.

Lunacy.

A Gauss gun/rifle does NOT operate on the same principles of a coil gun or a rail gun. Since you apparently know very little about how they DO work, take a look at the videos I posted to familiarize yourself with the concept.

A gauss gun uses a magnetic chain reaction to launch a ferromagnetic projectile at a high rate of speed. The most common ones use very powerful permanent neodymium magnets to produce the chain reaction. Look at the simple gauss gun made in the the following link.

Link2

Coil Guns and Rail Guns use like you obviously must know use huge electric currents which induce a magnetic field onto a projectile accelerating it. BIG difference.

The Gauss gun used in Crysis operates on the same principals used in the guns I linked to. Before you continue to embarrass yourself, you should do some proper research when commenting on things you obviously don't know much about.
StridAst
Tue Mar 01 2011, 05:03AM
StridAst Registered Member #3623 Joined: Sun Jan 16 2011, 10:13PM
I am pretty certain ANY gun that operates using magnetic force to accelerate the projectile can be called a gauss gun. regardless of electromagnets or permanent magnets. If you google the term "gauss gun" you find plenty of coilguns and plenty of your permanent magnet style accelerators. (wikipedia redirects straight to coilgun") Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss (whom the concept is named after) worked out the math for magnetic acceleration, however the mathematician hardly built magnetic weapons. People simply use his name to apply to a wide range of magnetic systems. This includes coilguns, and or magnetic chain reactions like you are showing. I am quite certain you could refer to any magnetic gun as a gauss gun with equal legitimacy. However, don't take my word for it, do your own research yourself.
klugesmith
Fri Mar 04 2011, 01:05AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Yeah, what Strid said.
Reminds me of a recent article in newspaper Cars section, where the writer used "Hybrid" to refer to what we might call a crossover physical configuration, for example intermediate between a sedan and a SUV.
A narrow-minded person wrote in protest, saying the word "hybrid" meant a vehicle with a gasoline/electric propulsion system. Since when does an emerging popular interpretation invalidate the traditional and broad meaning of a word?

[edit] aarp's link Link2 claims to show a Gauss Rifle, though it has no rifling.

[edit again] My Google search for Gauss Gun just returned, at the top of the list, a Wikipedia page about coilguns. Not that that implies validity of the link!
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: