Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SGTC finally working

Move Thread LAN_403
McFluffin
Mon Jun 05 2006, 12:37AM Print
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
Around 3 or 4 years ago, I saw Tesla coils online and thought it would be cool to build one. Although built in less than a year(this project taught me how to use tools, so I had to wait until my dad had free time to show me how to do things), my dad never wanted me to turn it on. I did some other things to keep busy. Around a month ago I finally got cleared to try and it didn't work. Tested the capacitor(it was home made), and discovered that it didn't work. So, I got some of these:
Link2
which wasn't bad for 16 bucks to at least try first. I put them in strings of 12 and put two of those in parallel to get an MMC. I turned it on, and now I am able to draw a 2 foot spark off of it(but only a couple of strikes to the rod). Now I guess I'll have to get into tuning it. Heres a pic of the coil set up:
Link2
The two black things in front is my spark gap. Behind that is my 10.5kV NST rated at 30mA.
The tank cap:
Link2
Its 14.4nF rated at 19.2kV which should keep them at a long life. It has to be tuned still, but I'm happy that things are at least making some cool sparks. Let me know what you think!
Edit:
Turned it on at night. Things went pretty well, so I added another capacitor string which seemed to make things a little better. I then added a breakout point, and that made operation a lot more stable, but I am still having problems with everything suddenly stopping. If I turn down the variac, and then put it up again, things can intermitantly work. What causes this? I added my rotary spark gap in(my avatar), and it made things pretty good. When I turned things off, I was getting 4 inch streamers. Its pretty neat, but I am sure that I could get things a lot better. Without the rotary, things were pretty stable, but after it was added things got a lot worse. Decreasing electrode distance on the safety gap seemed to help with the stability as well as adding the breakout point. Tried to take a picture, but my digital camera wasn't very happen even 6 feet or so away. suprised

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: