Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Micro ISSTC1

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Mon May 29 2006, 08:27PM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
yeah Time for a new Teslacoil project.

This time i want to build a interrupted solid state teslacoil. the most important thing, it has to be reliable, sparklenght is not important (okay some 7" streamers or so is a must).
i already made a nice pcb with everything together, halfbridge of irfp460s, driver etc. okay, at the moment the driver has a simple 555 oscillator but i want to go secondary base or primary feedback if its possible with an isstc(i think so) to prevent frequency trash due to the interrupter i made a nice circuit with an D flipflop to synchronise hf and interrupter signal, that works just fine.(74hc00,74hc14,74ls109) Driver ics are Icl 7667 (only 2A Driver ics)

within the next days i´ll build everything in a nice 17x15x6cm case (secondary and primary on top)
the secondary is 7,5cm in diameter and 20cm high, wound with 0,17mm wire , 10cm stainless steel sphere on top, resonant frequency, exactly 300khz.

so, someone can tell me whats useful for a reliable isstc, primary or secondary feedback? the isstc is for a physics week at school so it has to run several minutes and longer with a teacher at the interrupter amazed you know what i mean? cheesey

heres a pic of the nearly finished prototype pcb Link2

Update 4.06.06

i almost finished the new primary which fits fine on the top of this nice small case. just have to screw it all together. i thought about making it drsstc and i think i will give it a go after i tested it isstc. a nice small drsstc just a bit larger than my drsstc5 which is one of the worlds smallest drsstcs. cheesey

okay, heres the new finished primary Link2
the primary is 8cm high to give you idea of the size , 9 turns of 6mm² copperwire,, yeh with strikerail i need it when i run it drsstc tongue
Marko
Mon May 29 2006, 08:44PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I like the small cute board.
Sync circuit was probably unnecessary for hard-switching ISSTC, unless you want to turn it into a DRSSTC later cheesey

I had my ClassE SSTC running CW for several hours at display, and it set it's topload on fire when I brought it and ran it at home angry
But it was much, much smaller than yours, with only 2,5cm secondary and ping-pong ball topload.
Gave some 1,5cm sparks at 20V, but it's job was anyway to power a resonator and motor few meters away.

With 'teacher on interrupter' I think you should make it totaly reliable in CW first, and then put an interrupter for less heating, etc.. smile
Reaching
Tue May 30 2006, 09:38PM
my case arrived today and now i can show you how it should look like when its finished.
tommorow: Primary and secondary

heres a pic Link2
Marko
Sun Jun 04 2006, 06:37PM
Where did you get the sphere?
Reaching
Sun Jun 04 2006, 07:37PM
i got the sphere from my local "baumarkt" dont know the right word, building market
i found it between candlelights etc cheesey ,never thought that they have something like this in this store, . really cheap though only about 2$ for this one 10cm in diameter,. they have several sizes from small to the really big ones (about 60cm in diameter for around 120$) they sell identical spheres on ebay too.
Marko
Sun Jun 04 2006, 07:58PM
$2 is dirt cheap, and it looks very nice!
Just compare it to something like Information unlimited amazed

primary feedback if its possible

And yes, you can't make primary feedback without primary cap.
Only if you want to tun it into a DRSSTC later.
Philcogrump
Mon Jun 05 2006, 03:59AM
Philcogrump Registered Member #212 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:42PM
You probably could get a sphere like that from a garden store or something, they are usually painted for decorations. My mom bought several and put some in the pond. After several months, the paint began to strip off so I pulled one out of the pond and stripped the rest of the paint off using paint thinner, then the result was a nice steel sphere. I used it for one of my tesla coils, works very interestingly as opposed to the toroids because of the smooth surfaces. The sparks move around smoothly, I assume this is called the Banjo effect?

Anyway, looks like a nice ISSTC, Reaching. Looking forward to seeing photos of it in operation.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: