Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun showcase and help required

Move Thread LAN_403
guitarlord66
Wed Feb 09 2011, 01:24AM Print
guitarlord66 Registered Member #1805 Joined: Sat Nov 08 2008, 06:29AM
Hello :)

I had dropped out of the electronics scene for over a year, but I've been back for around 6 months, dwelling these forums and reading all the latests posts just as I used to. I had a lot of coil gun stuff uncompleted when I gave up, so I had a head start when I came back.

Now I realize I'm going to be flamed for this but at the moment, I am using disposable camera charger circuits to charge my coil guns...

I pretty much completed my latest coil gun, that I called "EMPA-III-NV" (Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerator 3 Night Vision)

This gun featured the following:
10 paralleled Camera Circuits
14 330V 80uf Capacitors
Relay Switching
Laser
30mm 8 layers 20 gauge enameled wire coil
Battery was 4.8v NIMH battery pack, but I fired the gun around 15 times and it overheated and cooked... So the guns out of operation at the moment...
an Analog meter that displays charge level
A very old Digital Camera from around 2000, that I converted to see IR light
A bank of IR LED's for the camera
Custom hand made plexiglass case
various switches, LED's, etc....

Heres some pictures, sorry for the low quality...

Image003
Image004
Image002
Image001

So its pretty much just a simple coil gun, that features a night vision camera and has the power to shoot through 3 empty soda cans. But as I said out of operation until I get a new battery source...

So, onto my next project that I'm having troubles with and wanted to ask for help...

I'm building a coil gun, that features a cylinder, from a toy cap gun, that will be able to hold 8 shots.
Now this coil gun will be even more unique because it features 2 banks of chargers and capacitors rather than 1.
My idea is to have 2 momentary switches on the back of the gun, along with 2 LED's above them.
The only way to fire the gun is to hold down one of the switches, that connects the capacitors of one of the banks to the coil.
The reason for having 2 charging circuits is so I can monitor the banks separately because they wont be discharged together.
This way I can fire twice before a recharge.

I originally intended to have 3 banks but after I wired it all up, I tried to discharge bank 1 and all the charging circuits overloaded and bursts with sparks of blue and smoke...
I have now made 2 more charging units but they are the last of the camera circuits that I have... I don't want them to meet the same fate as their predecessors...

I tried drawing a schematic but it looks more confusing then anything...
Circuit
I warned you its horrible...
If anyone can make sense of that... Any idea why my chargers got destroyed when i tried to discharge a bank? I assume I need diodes but I don't know where...

Any help or comments would be very much appreciated :) :)
GhostNull
Wed Feb 09 2011, 07:09AM
GhostNull Registered Member #2648 Joined: Sun Jan 24 2010, 12:45PM
Oversized pics DX

A boost converter or proper charge will probably be worth reliability and efficiency. The crappy disposable camera circuits could likely be a cause of your Ni-Mh pack dying, no offence. It's a shame to see such an awesome coilgun charged by DCC (disposable camera circuits). I like the night vision :D

Your new coilgun should work fine, just make sure those relays can handle the current. Flyback diodes on the relay coils would be beneficial for helping the switches and battery last longer but that's long long term; it will be completely fine without.

A schematic of the circuit would be beneficial in determining what went wrong. If it was a DCC it could be very likely due to the cheap, weak components. Diodes on the output of the charger circuits would prevent charge from the capacitors going back into the charging circuit but there should be a diode there already.
guitarlord66
Wed Feb 09 2011, 07:22AM
Yeah this new one is the last disposable camera driven one I'm going to make, I just want to try this concept before I move on to boost or flyback charging.

I've never had to use diodes before, the ones in the circuits have always done the job for me. I have never had chargers burn out when I discharged the capacitors before, I've burnt out heaps trying to use higher inputs then they were made for but thats it...
Its just I already tried the schematic I posted and the chargers burnt out. I dont know why though, I think it has to do with the fact I had the (positive or negative I forget...) leads from both banks connected together at one end of the coil, I cant think of any other reason... well apart from the fact the banks are connected at the battery inputs... Maybe the capacitors and battery inputs are linked and thats what fried them... Any idea?
guitarlord66
Thu Feb 10 2011, 03:10AM
Does anyone have experience with making a magazine for a coil gun? I thought using a revolver cylinder would be easier but I'm not so sure anymore...
aarpcard
Thu Feb 10 2011, 03:45AM
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
My guess as to why your circuits fried is because when the projectile went through the coil after being accelerated, it induced a current back into the wire which then flowed back into your circuit which fried the chargers. I forget the technical terms for all of this. It's also quite bad for the capacitors hence the need for diodes.

Back when I was first starting my coil gun projects I used DCC circuits too and I had the same problem as you did for the reason I stated above. The best way to solve the problem was with diodes, or like I ended up doing, every time I fired the gun, I'd flip a switch which disconnected the charging circuits from the capacitor bank.
guitarlord66
Tue Feb 15 2011, 06:10AM
I just thought I'd say, I found a rechargeable engraver that didn't work too well so I took the batteries out and put them in the coil gun shown above. The batteries charged for an hour, I think they were done because the voltage didn't go up any higher than 4.31 volts. I don't know what kind of batteries they are because they are unlabeled but I know they have 3 "cells" if thats what you call them. Anyway the gun charges in 10 seconds! with the old NIMH it charged in 15 to 20 seconds and there were 4 "cells" in the NIMH pack, but the batteries get hot, so I'm thinking I'll shoot it 3 times and let it cool? I really need some help with why batteries get hot and how to prevent them from cooking to death... I assume that its either too much power is getting wasted and converting to heat? or the batteries are not made to discharge as fast as I want them to? Any help is very much appreciated with this problem :)
guitarlord66
Thu Feb 17 2011, 05:31AM
Would this be any good for a coilgun discharge or in a cap charger?
Link2
I found it in an old tv :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: