Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building a linux cluster

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Thu Jan 20 2011, 03:34AM Print
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Since we don't have money for a real computer in my lab, I get to build a small cluster to do our data analysis on. With a budged of roughly 5k and an emphasis on number crunching, my idea is to build 4 computing nodes with Intel's new Sandy Bridge 2600K processors and 16GB of memory. For storage I would build an extra node with a cheap CPU and and an 8-way RAID array of 2TB disks.

Most of our jobs can be parallelized manually so I'm not really worrying about linking the computer together Beowulf style at the moment.

I don't really expect that anyone has build a similar system here, but I'm surely not the only one pondering putting together a Sandy Bridge rig in the near future. Since it's been a while I last build a computer (I switched to Mac nearly 10 years ago) it would be really useful if somebody could look over my choice of components and point out any stupidities and incompatibilities. Here it goes:

Compute nodes:
Intel i7 2600k Link2
Gigabyte H67A-UD3H Link2 (with the DVI port so I don't need graphics cards)
Gskill Ripjaw 4x4 GB DDR3 1600 Link2
Antec Three Hundred case Link2
Antec Earthwatts EA380 PSU Link2
Caviar Blue 500GB HDD Link2

Storage node:
Pentium E6500
Asus p5g41c
Patriot 2x2GB DDR3 1333
case, PSU and HDD as above
areca ARC 1220 RAID controller Link2
8x Caviar Green 2TB HDDs Link2

On newegg the compute nodes come to about $900 each, the storage node excluding disks is even less. It's amazing how cheap computers have gotten. smile Short of porting all the code to run on GPUs, do you guys agree this is the cheapest way to get a lot of computing horse power?
Carbon_Rod
Thu Jan 20 2011, 05:48AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Depends what types of problems you are trying to solve....

Sometimes two $300 graphics cards running CUDA can outrun a partition with 16 cluster nodes.

Cluster nodes work just fine off a PXE booted OS, and workstations can be set to "dual" boot in this way during the weekends. Also, a node costs under $250 for the bare bones hardware: motherboard, 2 cpu, power supply, expensive fiber NIC, and maximum ram.

For $5k, you may want to look into Amazon cloud nodes with GPUs.

Cheers,
Conundrum
Thu Jan 20 2011, 07:44AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
cluster made of YLoD PS3's? smile

some university made one as a black hole simulator IIRC.

the fix is really easy but takes a while, if you do them in parallel it should take you about a day of work to do 8 or so.

Alternate idea (if you can't get ps3's), build a cluster using netbook motherboards overclocked to 40% faster than stock, with liquid cooling.
Easy to do if you have access to a 3-D prototyping jig to make the cooling blocks...
(plus they run windows and with minimal hackery will boot "native" with no hdd's required!)

-A
Sulaiman
Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:25AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I've no idea what kinds of programmes you wish to run but
I used to maintain mainframe/mini/unix/pc systems
and I think that the two best approaches are
- A single large multi-processor unix system, shared O.S./memory/disk etc.
- use every spare computing cycle of every PC on the network
(cloud-computing, co-operative computing, NFS-like systems etc.)

Irrespective of the above, I would expect to gain more overall performance improvement by spending $900 on a training course for the software than an extra server. Mastering the software tools and programming wisely based on a good understanding of the data and rules can give >10x performance compared to a poorly (average) thought out system.
Carbon_Rod
Thu Jan 20 2011, 08:48AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Or... try this:
Link2

cheers,
Steve Conner
Thu Jan 20 2011, 10:04AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Carbon_Rod wrote ...

Sometimes two $300 graphics cards running CUDA can outrun a partition with 16 cluster nodes.

Well, why not fit each compute node with two of those too?

NVidia actually sell the "Tesla" GPU-based "supercomputers". Link2
Pinky's Brain
Thu Jan 20 2011, 02:10PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
With Sandy Bridge you won't have ECC.

Infiniband is an option, even on this budget.

Why not use rackmount?
Nicko
Thu Jan 20 2011, 02:46PM
Nicko Registered Member #1334 Joined: Tue Feb 19 2008, 04:37PM
Dr. Shark wrote ...

Intel i7 2600k Link2
Gigabyte H67A-UD3H Link2 (with the DVI port so I don't need graphics cards)
Hmmm. Don't think the i7 has on-chip graphics. The Gigabyte board supports the i5 chips that do have graphics, but nothing else. You'll need a cheapo PCIe graphics card.

I may be wrong - I often am...

Edit: It seems the 2700k does have graphics when using the H67 chipset - I'd still double check with the supplier...
Bjørn
Thu Jan 20 2011, 03:10PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM

Most comparisons you find compare a single threaded badly written C program with a fully optimized GPU program.

If the comparison shows 100x improvement on the GPU:
Running 8 threads on an i7 gives 6x improvement so we are down to 16x
Spending the same amount of time on the C code as the CUDA code, 8x
Changing over to use SSE, 4x

The GPU is still faster but it is not always so fast that it is worth the extra effort.
Dr. Shark
Thu Jan 20 2011, 06:05PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Lot's of good suggestions, especially on spending the money on training - I'll forward that to my colleagues smile Seriously though, they are biologists and neuroscientists and would rather throw money at the problem than changing any of the code. We have a huge repository of old MatLab that we are using and trying to change any of that would probably set our research back about 5 years.

In principle I like the CUDA approach, but I know a lot more about computers than anyone else in my lab combined and I pretty much gave up when I tried it a couple of months ago. It seems it should be so easy for what we are doing, filtering data, training neural networks etc, but all the easy toolboxes like PyCuda only get you so far. A real example, matrix multiplication is cheap and fast, but as soon as you need to slice an array in a weird way or access it element-wise you need to write your own kernels. And once you have to write low level code you have to know about optimal block size, what sits in cache vs. main memory, it really becomes so complex that it takes less time in total to just run the code on a slow (CPU) machine. Maybe this is starting to change as the lastest MatLab release has CUDA support, but for know I think Bjørn is right on.

Same applies to PS3's btw, we want an x86 environment so nobody has to write low level code. We briefly discussed using Amazon cloud services but the machines will be under full load pretty much 24/7 so it would not be economical.

My take on buying "big" machines with say a quad socket server board so we could have all 16 cores and storage in one machine was that it's a lot more expensive than spreading over a number of smaller nodes. Even a 12 core Mac Pro or equivalent Dell are more expensive than what I sketched out, and that is with a lot less storage and memory. Overall it seems to cost roughly twice as much as building your own. Future expandability is another big plus for the cluster.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: