Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

It lives! WOOT!

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Wed May 31 2006, 02:12AM Print
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
My DRSSTC is alive after many weeks of waiting! My dad told me I had to clean up all my crap before I could do anything else. I've been working on that for about 2 mo. Sheesh, but it looks great. I'm glad it did it.

The saturday before memorial day, I was back into action. I spent the afternoon of memorial day building a new primary and running scantesla stuff. Scantesla suggested a coupling of .185 and primary at 10.5 turns. 10.5 seemed a little high to me, but oh well. I tried it anyway.

After doing all that, I tried it out. To my chagrin, it performed no better than it did before. After poking about some more, I realized that I had soldered the primary tank capacitors improperly making the primary resonate MUCH lower than the secondary... Too late, time for bed.

Next morning (this morning). Fixed the capacitors and right away got longer sparks. My OCD is still acting up! Cutting out at 50A and not allowing adjustment. One of the pins on a 555 in the circuit had a cold weld on the ground. When you pushed on it with the meter, it tested fine, but when you let off, it disconnected itself. What a booger it was to find! Then after fixing that, I

The FGA cheapos suck, the International Rectifier's GRP-somethings are great. So are these obscure Fairchild ones that I'm using right now. I'll post part #'s on my site soon.

FGA's croak, and like a moron, I had forgotten to add a fuse and my variac craters confused Not good, but it repairs. 5 min later, I realize the fuse blew in my 'scope at the same time and I don't have another. Worries me why the fuse blew...?

I've still got problems with my OCD, it won't fire at all now, even after checking all components and replacing chips. Hmm. Any ideas? The output of the comparator stays high the whole time. I was going to scope it, but see above.

BTW, I got 22" and the groundstrike with the screwed up OCD killed my IGBTs.

Since I lost my scope about 2:00, I've been slowly increasing the power and recording data on the safe side. The new Fairchilds are holding up great. I'm getting 12" streamers with 360W. I should be getting lots better, but I'm working on it. Then I dropped my interrupter and knocked the ground wire loose. After repairing it, I ran it with the case open. Doing so I touched the back of the interrupter board, and...

HOLY SMOKES! *Jumps back in terror*

Apparently, I touched off a really long pulse. Then, I did it over and over for fun! tongue Boy I wish I could see this on the 'scope. It must not be too hard on my IGBTs as I can do it for long(ish) periods of time.

Enjoy the videos, the first one's great! Looks like Steve's "long pulse" thread. Note, I'm not running the coil properly here...

EDIT=> Hmm. No vids. Hang on...
Part Scavenger
Wed May 31 2006, 02:22AM
Re-posting of video

Crap. That didn't work either.
I'll upload them to my site.
Wed May 31 2006, 02:45AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
if they are under 10mb then they are probably not a supported format, so just zip them up (I think windows does that nativley now) then upload wink

Sounds fun, are you using an isolation transformer? If not the reason you blew the fuse in your scope is that you were trying to ground every half wave of the incoming AC through the ground clip of the scope...

Patiently awaiting videos...
Part Scavenger
Wed May 31 2006, 02:56AM
Link2

Link2
Desmogod
Wed May 31 2006, 04:13AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
That first video looks very SSTC like....
What PW are you running?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed May 31 2006, 08:02AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Wow I gotta get me one!
Marko
Wed May 31 2006, 09:10AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
W007. I think DRSSTC will inhreit the world...

It looks nice, only thing I see is that you had pretty high primary-secondary coupling, this probably limits the peak current but it may easily arc over. (if you didn't change the primary in meantime confused ).

Good luck (and long sparks) smile

Part Scavenger
Wed May 31 2006, 01:19PM
Sounds fun, are you using an isolation transformer?

Yeah, I was using a CT to scope the primary current waveform. That's why I don't know why the fuse blew.

I really like the big arcs, they've got a deep throaty sound not captured well by the video. I think I might build this mode into an interrupter. The IGBTs are doing fine, today I'll go to rat shack on my lunch hour to fix my scope. Then I'll check out the waveforms and post.
Avalanche
Wed May 31 2006, 01:29PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I love that first video, sounds good too. I take it the OCD just keeps tripping to get the low BPS?

I think coils look more impressive running like that, but that's just me cheesey
Part Scavenger
Wed May 31 2006, 07:03PM
Avalanche wrote ...

I love that first video, sounds good too. I take it the OCD just keeps tripping to get the low BPS?

I think coils look more impressive running like that, but that's just me cheesey

No, that's me jabbing my thumb into the bottom of the interrupter. tongue It only works with in about 4' of the coil though... confused The OCD is not even triggering

I really wonder why nothing blew up doing this.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: