Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Projectile Magazine plus Power Source?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Turkey9
Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:05AM Print
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
It seems that one of the most limiting factors preventing medium to large power coilguns going from bench top experiments to hand carried recreation oriented devices is battery power. I was thinking, could the power be incorporated into the projectiles similar to cartridges in normal guns? Say, each projectile had a small battery in it that could charge the caps for each shot. That would be cool but would create a big challenge in the size of the projectile and complexity of design. Instead, how about a battery in the cartridge with enough power to charge the caps until the magazine is empty.

The idea is to have a boost converter to take the battery voltage and output a constant voltage to the charging circuit. This way, the charge time won't drop as the battery drains. If rechargeable batteries are used, the cartridge gets plugged into a charger and can be reloaded!

If the battery is going to be rechargeable, it can't drop below about 1V or the cell will be damaged if NiMH are used. That gives a total energy available of 3520J with two cells (2450 mAh) dropping in voltage from 1.2V to 1V. And with 70% efficiency in the charging circuitry, enough power to have 8 300J shots. I imagine if Lithium Ions were used even more shots could be had.

What do you think? Good idea? Worth perusing? How can the most energy be extracted from these batteries?

Thanks!
rp181
Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:29AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
how would it react to the magnetic pulses?
Turkey9
Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:36AM
Are you thinking if the battery is attached to the projectile and gets fired also? I think it should be fine as it is chemical. The magnetic field shouldn't affect the battery.

It might be easier of the batteries are part of the magazine and stay with the mechanical assembly once all the projectiles are gone. That way there will be no interaction with the magnetic field.

Sorry if what I said doesn't make sense, I'll clarify anything that's unclear!
Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:40AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The batteries would probably be fine, if worse comes to worst just put the batteries at the bottom of the magazine so they they are a long ways away from the coil.

Also, I am not sure how you got 3520J, but a 2.45A/hr NiMH cell stores almost exactly 10KJ of energy, assuming you are drawing the rated current (higher discharge rates will reduce the energy available).

I am curious, where do you see people having problems with the batteries dying? Unless you need hundreds of shots, a decent sized NiMh pack (or LiPo if you can afford it) should last plenty long.
Turkey9
Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:53AM
It's also something of size and weight. Big battery packs are heavy and bulky. This is also something of a thought experiment where 100s of shots would happen. With my coilguns, it seemed like I was always replacing batteries and in my opinion it would be cool to just plug a magazine in and keep experimenting.

I got the energy because NiMH get permanently damaged if discharged below about 1V. If alkaline batteries are used, they can be discharged to zero and performance over many charge cycles is not an issue.
Saz43
Sun Dec 19 2010, 05:08AM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Why not use LiPoly? You'll get an even better energy density than NiMH. And with a smaller battery it would be easier to fit it into a magazine.

I think the idea to store the battery in the magazine is a great idea for a portable coilgun. My portable gun (1.25kJ) ran out of battery power after about 10 to 15 shots. If I wanted to boost the charging power and go for semi-auto operation, it would have been quite lame to have to replace the battery before the ammo ran out. One thing to keep in mind though, is that charging circuits (boost converter, ZVS) actually stop functioning as soon as the input voltage dips below a certain point, not once the battery cells are exhausted. My booster quit giving a full charge at ~10V in and my ZVS quit oscillating around 10-11 volts.

Are you going to build something like this? You should-there aren't enough good portable coilgun designs IMO.
Turkey9
Mon Dec 20 2010, 06:23AM
Saz43, I think I will go with LiPoly for the reasons you stated.

The charger stopping at a certain voltage is a problem I'd like to fix. That's why I'm thinking I'll have a boost converter or something that will regulate the batter charge to something like 15V. That will then be used for the main cap charger. I know that circuits like the Joule Thief thing work with very small input voltage. Does anyone know if this is possible? Say, using an input of 8.46 (2 LiPo cells in series) to 6V and regulating that up to a constant voltage? I think I would want a cap charge voltage input of around 50V.
Mon Dec 20 2010, 06:50AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

I got the energy because NiMH get permanently damaged if discharged below about 1V. If alkaline batteries are used, they can be discharged to zero and performance over many charge cycles is not an issue.

Not to nitpick, but I think you misunderstand how rechargeable batteries work. The A/hr rating for a battery is the usable life in the battery, generally specified down to 1V for a NiMH cell. There is almost no energy stored in the 0v-1v range, due the battery chemistry, but for a 2.5 A/hr cell, you get 9000A/s of juice, so for an average 1.1V output voltage you get just under 10KJ of usable energy.

Of course manufactures often exaggerate these values, and they are often quoted at a 1C discharge rate (who uses NiMH cells at a 1C charcarge rate wink), so you might not get every last joule that you should have.

It should work just fine in any case, I may have to suggest this to my coil-cannon building friend just for the coolness factor smile
Turkey9
Mon Dec 20 2010, 08:31AM
Wow thanks for the corrections; I was way off. This also means that there can be way more shots than I though for a single magazine.

I believe that normal lithium batteries have a very constant discharge voltage and a sharp drop when they're dead, is this the same for LiPoly cells?
Steve Conner
Mon Dec 20 2010, 11:22AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes. Li-Ion and Li-Poly are the same chemistry, just in a metal can or a plastic bag respectively. They are nominally about 3.6V per cell: 4.2V when completely full and 3.0V when empty. An undervoltage lockout is required because discharging below 3.0V can shorten the battery's life. I've designed battery management systems that accept either.

Li-Poly come in normal (for MP3 players etc) and high discharge (for R/C toys). You'll certainly want the high discharge kind for a coilgun power supply. I only have experience with the normal kind, the high discharge ones might be different. I know that the higher the discharge rate, the less sharp the "knee" at the end.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: