Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SK065K SCR/Coilgun

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
wpk5008
Tue Dec 28 2010, 10:22PM Print
wpk5008 Registered Member #3546 Joined: Tue Dec 28 2010, 08:24AM
This SCR is rated at 1000V, 41A steady, and 950A pulse. This sounds great for a coil gun design, but it is a three pin through hole mounting type. It just doesn't seem as robust at the hockey puck or bolt type SCRs that your usually see with those ratings. The price is fantastic though, but I'm just concerned for my own safety when discharging under a kJ through it. Not to mention I don't want to spend 6 dollars to vaporize it and anything around it.

Here is a link to additional specs... http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?lang=en&site=US&WT.z_homepage_link=hp_go_button&KeyWords=SK065K&x=0&y=0

On a similar note I am planning on building a coil gun, I have already purchased come caps, 4 450V 2400uF electrolytic caps to be exact. I am hopefully going to get a .25 inner diameter .375 outer diameter carbon fiber tube, once the company gets back to me. I just sent them an email asking if they sand the inside as well as the outside of their smooth carbon fiber tubes. If they say yes that the inside is sanded then I have already ran barry's simulators for my single stage coil, using only three capacitors charged to 400V.

The parameters from barry's simulations are as follows 400V, 170mohm, 7.75mF, 257uH. This gives me a 1238A forward surge, that ends after 5.00ms and reaches <-320A negative emf surge. Sorry I am new and not familiar with how to post the pictures yet. The coil is as follows 16AWG, 10mmID, 29mmOD, 40mmL, 210 turns, 7 layers, for 170mohm, and 257uH.

I am just not sure right now how to chose my SCR from this data. Reading the datasheet it typically lists the peak forward current surge, which would be the initial current, however reading some of the posts on this forum I am under the impression that perhaps it is the emf (negative spike on barry's simulator) that the peak forward current surge needs to be rated to. I hope it is the latter because that would reduce my costs greatly.

Thank you for any help.
Saz43
Wed Dec 29 2010, 06:42PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
I think it's worth a try. If you're worried about explosions, you could always charge your capacitors to a lower voltage and steadily increase the energy of your discharges.
wpk5008
Wed Dec 29 2010, 09:56PM
Yeah worth a shot I guess. Next time I put an order in I will have to get one or two of those SCRs.

I just thought of something last night/this morning(what do you call 5am?). Carbon is conductive to some extent, so a carbon fiber tube would generate eddy currents too? While the eddy currents of a metal would be of concern, do you think carbon would generate enough eddy currents to effect the performance of a coilgun?
Saz43
Thu Dec 30 2010, 08:38PM
Probably not- carbon has a very high resistivity compared to most metals. Carbon is usually the material inside a resistor to impede current.
Sir Fixalot
Thu Dec 30 2010, 09:37PM
Sir Fixalot Registered Member #2810 Joined: Sat Apr 17 2010, 07:17PM
Hmm...I agree-I wouldn't want to use a little SCR Like that for a coilgun Like you're building. I would look on ebay, as you can find some cheap scr's for <$100. Here, try this, it's probably exactly the sort of thing you were looking for, and its not too expensive either:
Link2

It's the one on the bottom-left of the page.
Sir Fixalot
Thu Dec 30 2010, 09:38PM
Sir Fixalot Registered Member #2810 Joined: Sat Apr 17 2010, 07:17PM
Oh, I almost forgot-this one too:

Link2
Arcstarter
Fri Dec 31 2010, 02:30AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
I have been using these very SCRs for some of my cap bank stuff. They are great. I paralleled 5 of them and with 1.5v on the gate they have withstood 100's of dead shorts with a 1950uf 800v 624 joule cap bank. Never had a failure.
wpk5008
Fri Dec 31 2010, 07:52AM
I got emails back from two companies today and a physics professor. Both companies said they make their tubing on steel cylinders and in order to remove the tubes it has to be free of imperfections. The one company offers an extruded version for $8 and the other offers a fabric version for $30. I think I will go with the $8 one just in case carbon does induce strong enough eddy current to effect efficiency. As far as the physics professor... he was about as useless as his class was, he just told me one of his students built a coilgun recently and he would forward my eddy current email to him. Maybe this student will be a good local help for me though?

As far as the SCRs go, I was unaware that you could wire them in parallel and that they would equally share the load. I might have to give that a try at first to see if I can save some money. I actually think it was one of your posts Arcstarter, that made me aware of that particular SCR, and it just looked to good to be true.

I have one more question though. I'm rather new to dealing with high voltage. For my charging circuit I was thinking of building a boost converter. But I do not have the materials right now to build and test one. So I was wondering how dangerous it is to charge caps with a voltage doubler or tripler straight from the wall? Should I run the wall through a ballast first to limit the current? But I am curious if this would drop the voltage too much to make my voltage multiplier useful because all the ballasts I can think of that I could find around my house are resistive...
Sulaiman
Fri Dec 31 2010, 03:34PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Put a filament lamp (e.g. 100W) in series with the ac line
and it will be safer than a fully charged capacitor bank,
rectifier/doubler/tripler/transformer/ whatever load.
Saz43
Fri Dec 31 2010, 06:57PM
wpk5008 wrote ...

I have one more question though. I'm rather new to dealing with high voltage. For my charging circuit I was thinking of building a boost converter. But I do not have the materials right now to build and test one. So I was wondering how dangerous it is to charge caps with a voltage doubler or tripler straight from the wall? Should I run the wall through a ballast first to limit the current? But I am curious if this would drop the voltage too much to make my voltage multiplier useful because all the ballasts I can think of that I could find around my house are resistive...

Uzzor's boost converter costs like $7 if you buy your parts from Mouser
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: