Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mini SGTC

Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Mon May 29 2006, 02:37PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Thanks, I calaculated it to be only 0.27nF, that doesn't seem right somehow. I think I need about 6nF for this coil, I will probably just make an MMC cheesey
Marko
Mon May 29 2006, 06:49PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Homemade rolled cap is still ging to be HUGE, for 6nF you need a pretty big tube to fit it in. Look at TDU's site.

You need some nice LDPE sheets and mineral oil to make it work reliably.
But you won't get that cap easily to be in size parameters of the small secondary.

For that bottles, I have two big ones here that measure 0,7nf each, so let's say your smaller ones are 0,5 and bigger are like mine. (I guess glass thickness doesn't diffeer much).
That would be 3*0,5 + 2*0.7 = 2,9nF.

Probably the MMC would be a neat thing to do but you'l be quite limited in voltage.

You can try to find some small, highest-possible voltage caps, I think you need some pretty high voltage (30kV+) for that ZVS.

Again this is pain if biggest you have are let's say 1-2kV and you need to series a huge bunch of them.

Avalanche
Mon May 29 2006, 07:05PM
30kv suprised I always thought that if my gap fired at, say 5kv, I wouldn't need to make a cap with a voltage rating the same as the flyback... I'll have to take that into account.

I'll probably buy a bunch of those yellow poly caps soon, I can get 10nF or 22nF caps rated 1500v each.

I've blown up a number of caps already trying to make an MMC cheesey

1148936879 103 FT1630 Av Sgtc Built
Marko
Mon May 29 2006, 11:06PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
You should make MMC quite a bit higher than input voltage for long and prosper life.
Theoreticaly you can use it at somewhat-higher-than sparkgap voltage, but it is enough that gap misses one firing and it will die.

You can maybe fight this with safety gap, that must be well adjusted.
And equalising resistors are apsolutely necessary.

I once easily blew my big 20kV MMC with rotary gap and 15kV transformer that way!

Coil looks good, and you could even put much bigger secondary on it smile

Wtth some 200W of power you could perfectly use that 40mm PVC pipe, maybe 20cm long or so.

You have much more power there that this small secondary can give off.

It seems that you have plenty of space left in that case, so you can try to make a stacked capacitor or a nice big MMC. I tought that you were about to make the box much smaller...
Plasmaniac
Tue May 30 2006, 12:44PM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
I've put my 3. nanoSGTC(ugly setup) in a plastic tube and filled it with wax after racing sparks and top-to-bottom streamers killed version 1 and 2. The coil is 2x4 ( tongue ) cm, the tubing 2.5x5cm big and there are still some top-to-bottom streamers if I open the gap >0.5mm (the MMC is rated for 16kV DC... kind of wasteful...). At least the streamers dont set the coil on fire anymore. shades
Avalanche
Tue May 30 2006, 04:26PM
Thanks for the comments

I've decided I'm definitely going for an MMC now, and this coil has turned into quite a large unplanned project!

As for the case, I already had the wooden supports so it was just to save time. It turned out neater than I had planned, and I even sanded down and stained the wood to try and get it all looking similar (it is built with oak, beech, and plywood). Anyway the flyback can stand upright in the case as it is, and I have room for the MMC.

I will probably leave the secondary for now, but depending on performance with the new MMC I will either wind a new secondary, or start a new coil altogether tongue

New sparkgap is a 4-spark multigap made from brass nuts, spaced .5mm apart.
1149006390 103 FT10264 Av Sgtc Built2
vasil
Tue May 30 2006, 08:48PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Turn to MMC Avalanche, you waste a lot of power with those loosy homemade caps. Experiment with the gap and the input voltage for the driver. For a specific voltage input the gap will work just fine. Apply full voltage and then crank down the variac until the BPS go low and the streamers are eratic then turn up a bit. You will see that the spark gap noise has some good tone when everything is right.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: