Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Coilgun Project

Move Thread LAN_403
jnbrex
Sat Mar 10 2012, 08:02PM
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
Why do you think you are getting better efficiency with increased projectile velocity? Are you actually measuring the velocity after each stage with photogates?
Turkey9
Sat Mar 10 2012, 08:16PM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Wow, nice job! It's cool to see a really well built coilgun at that low voltage.

To figure out energy input, I'd try to measure it. If your entire circuit could stand to have slightly more resistance, say, .01 ohms, you could add in a current sense resistor. Scope the voltage and current (according to the sense resistor) and multiply then together to get power over time. Then integrate to get total energy. You should even be able to see the pulses from each coil and thus be able to determine individual stage energy. But don't forget to account for the power lost in the sense resistor. This would be a much better method than running simulation and making assumptions. The measurements could even be done with a simple sound card oscilloscope if care is taken to get the right voltage levels; the pulses of current into your coils shouldn't have too high of a frequency.
Saz43
Sat Mar 10 2012, 08:48PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
jnbrex wrote ...

Why do you think you are getting better efficiency with increased projectile velocity? Are you actually measuring the velocity after each stage with photogates?
As the projectile speeds up, it induces a stronger voltage (E=B*length*velocity) in the coils as it passes through. This induced voltage in the coil is the power stolen by the projectile, so the faster it goes the better it takes energy from the coil. Also, the same induced voltage impedes current flow through the coil, which reduces I^2*R losses further improving efficiency.

I add stages one by one, taking three measurements with the speed trap each time and using the average. It's pretty consistent so it gives a measure of the energy added by each stage.

Turkey9 wrote ...

Wow, nice job! It's cool to see a really well built coilgun at that low voltage.

To figure out energy input, I'd try to measure it. If your entire circuit could stand to have slightly more resistance, say, .01 ohms, you could add in a current sense resistor. Scope the voltage and current (according to the sense resistor) and multiply then together to get power over time. Then integrate to get total energy. You should even be able to see the pulses from each coil and thus be able to determine individual stage energy. But don't forget to account for the power lost in the sense resistor. This would be a much better method than running simulation and making assumptions. The measurements could even be done with a simple sound card oscilloscope if care is taken to get the right voltage levels; the pulses of current into your coils shouldn't have too high of a frequency.
Thanks! That would be the best method. But I don't have an oscilloscope, and this will be my last project (at least for a while) so buying one isn't a good move for me right now. The simulation should be fairly close and if anything my efficiency guesses are conservative so it's kind of an "at least it's doing this good" ballpark sort of thing.
jnbrex
Sun Mar 11 2012, 02:20AM
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
I've been doing a research project recently, and adding a current sense resistor was very beneficial. This resistor only has a resistance of 0.005 ohms and can easily withstand 2000 amp + peak currents. Putting in a current sense resistor on every stage should let you calculate the energy that goes into the coil and the length of the pulse.
The manufacturer part number for the resistor is PWR4412-2SCR005F. I got some from newark.com. If you do decide to buy some get extra because they are fragile!
IamSmooth
Mon May 14 2012, 08:37PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I probably missed this, but how are you determining the proper timing for each stage?
Ben Solon
Mon May 14 2012, 09:28PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
this may be what you are doing, but i cant tell. are you using the solenoid to knock the slug into place? because what if you just positioned the solenoid so that it's center is the distance required from the main coil for shooting. that way if you put enough current through the solenoid, you could hold the slug in place until the very last millisecond. this way you could potentially hold the gun vertical without any changes in slug positioning.
Saz43
Tue May 15 2012, 06:30AM
IamSmooth wrote ...

I probably missed this, but how are you determining the proper timing for each stage?

Simplpe IR LED and IR transistor. The projectile and the coil are the same length so the timing is close to perfect for each shot.

ben123324 wrote ...

this may be what you are doing, but i cant tell. are you using the solenoid to knock the slug into place? because what if you just positioned the solenoid so that it's center is the distance required from the main coil for shooting. that way if you put enough current through the solenoid, you could hold the slug in place until the very last millisecond. this way you could potentially hold the gun vertical without any changes in slug positioning.

I'm not sure what you're describing... But the solenoid pushes the ammo out of the magazine, and into the path of the first stage IR trigger. It will work no matter how you hold the gun.
Pinky's Brain
Tue May 15 2012, 03:11PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Oops, didn't realise this thread was olllllld ... one remark about the original never build design, that mosfet would have been fried because of inrush current if it was switched on at the wrong time.
Pinkamena
Tue May 15 2012, 10:47PM
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Well, since this thread got Necro'd, I might as well make a comment:
I love your coilgun! Really sleek design. I love the power rails on the side of the barrel, I might incorporate those into my design. I might have missed it, but how many joules is your cap bank on? I also have a few other questions:
Can we see a picture of the projectile? Have you done simulations to see on which interval of the individual coils you get the most "bang for your bucks" in therms of force per current?

I'm getting really inspired by this, and I can't wait to get building on my 9-stage this summer. I've planned, done FEMM simulations, written simulators, and it's finally time to get building...
EDIT: Also, how do you secure the coils to the barrel, and the barrel to the main plate? I'm having some trouble coming up with a secure way to do that.
Saz43
Wed May 16 2012, 06:36AM
Pinkamena wrote ...

Well, since this thread got Necro'd, I might as well make a comment:
I love your coilgun! Really sleek design. I love the power rails on the side of the barrel, I might incorporate those into my design. I might have missed it, but how many joules is your cap bank on?
Thanks I'm glad you like it!! There's no capacitors.

wrote ...

I also have a few other questions:
Can we see a picture of the projectile? Have you done simulations to see on which interval of the individual coils you get the most "bang for your bucks" in therms of force per current?
1337149750 1525 FT100083 423817 10150593834096637 688956636 9613934 126517216 N

I haven't done any FEMM simulations, just RL circuit simulations and the basic kinematics equations for projectile speed.

wrote ...

I'm getting really inspired by this, and I can't wait to get building on my 9-stage this summer. I've planned, done FEMM simulations, written simulators, and it's finally time to get building...
EDIT: Also, how do you secure the coils to the barrel, and the barrel to the main plate? I'm having some trouble coming up with a secure way to do that.
Sweet! If I've helped inspired you then that's awesome, I hope your project goes well and you learn a lot. The coils are just wound around the barrel tight enough to stay put, and kinda held in-place by the inter-coil spacers that hold the sensors. They do slip a bit if you twist them. I've got some nails hammered into the board that the barrel fits neatly inbetween. It's tight enough that the friction holds it all in. Right now I'm in the difficult phase of building the ammo-magazine and fitting the whole thing into a gun.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: