Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My first 'real 'coilgun

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hanzie
Sat Dec 08 2012, 04:38PM Print
Hanzie Registered Member #6534 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2012, 12:22PM
Hey all!
I've been doing some things with electronics for a while , and have been in the RC hobby for a few years now, but now I decided to step things up a bit and build a 'simple' single staged coilgun. The plan is to make a build log along the way and ask a LOT of questions. xD

So anyways, I'm thinking of running on 300-400 volts and using a 6-9 mm projectile. Not entirely sure about the projectile size yet, but that'll come along the way I guess. As many have used Uzzors 50W capacitor charger with great success, I decided to give it a go. I went to the dump and got me an old monitor from which I salvages a flyback transformer, but now I've got some questions about some components on the circuit.

First of all, what are these components (In the red circle)? They look somewhat diode-ish, but I can't find a detailed description of the parts. Also, Should I get eight of the same diodes for both sides of the transformer (Driver and rectifier), the RGP10J? Furthermore, I never wound a transformer before, only brushless motors, so I'm not sure how to make the primary coil. Bifilar? Centertapped? Google wasn't particularly helpful on this one... xP

So yeah, that's a lot of questions. Thanks in advance. ^^
Hanzie
1354984604 6534 FT0 Cfpr Capacitor Charger Part
Legit_bacon
Sat Dec 08 2012, 08:47PM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
Firstly those diodey things are called zenar diodes, and no you don't need to put them on the other side of the transformer (its called a bridge rectifier)

Could I suggest you start with something simplier as you don't seem to have much experience, perhaps try Uzzors 15w boost converter? Much simpilier and comes with some tried and tested pbc designs.
sorry for all the mistakes I'm sure this is from my phone.
Ash Small
Sat Dec 08 2012, 09:08PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Hanzie wrote ...

I'm not sure how to make the primary coil. Bifilar? Centertapped? Google wasn't particularly helpful on this one... xP

It's centre tapped. 14 turns, all in the same direction, with the tap in the middle (There is a note on the schematic saying 'centre tapped, 7+7')
Hanzie
Sat Dec 08 2012, 09:28PM
Ah, they're zener diodes! I know about those, but the books I have here give them a different icon. Same goes for resistors for some reason, probably has something to do with European vs American icons. xD
I also know about the rectifier, those are the four RGP10J diodes. On the primary side however, the diodes used are only called 1A fast diodes so I'm wondering if they're of the same type (I would think that they are).
I made something similar to that boost converter once and it worked fine, but now I'm looking for a little more speed/efficiency on the charging process.
Right, so now the main problem would be winding the transformer itself. I should be able to figure that out. ^^
Thanks for the input!
Hanzie
Sat Dec 08 2012, 09:38PM
Thanks Ash. The bifilar part got me a bit confused, but it seems to make sense now.
Thanks again!
Steve Conner
Sun Dec 09 2012, 11:35AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, you can use the same diode everywhere. The UF4007 is another possibility.

The best way to wind the 7+7 turn primary is 7 turns bifilar, connect the end of wire 1 to the start of wire 2 to form the centre tap. It's not hugely important though. Two separate 7 turn windings would probably work fine.

When I built this circuit, I used the ferrite transformer from an ATX power supply. No rewinding was needed, the old 5V output winding became the primary, and the old primary became the secondary. The only issue was that the output voltage was a bit low, so I had to use a doubler instead of a bridge rectifier to charge 400V caps.

I was very pleased with the performance, it drew about 8A at 12V and charged caps pretty quick. smile
Hanzie
Fri Dec 14 2012, 08:13AM
Right, someone at my RC-club said he should have some high voltage caps laying around. As far as I know him, it could be anything between 200 to a coupe of thousands of volts rated caps, so yeah, let's hope they're around the 300-400 V range... xD
I'll be at the club this evening, so we'll see what he comes up with.
Hanzie
Sun Dec 23 2012, 09:20PM
Well, the big capacitor bank will probably have to wait at least another week as my fellow club-member hadn't been to his storage shed yet. He said he would go there somewhere this week though, so we'll see. ^^
In the meantime I've made a charging-circuit. As mouser's shipping costs were higher than the actual prize of the parts, I decided to make another circuit with parts I could salvage from the mountains of old electronics I have laying around. Another guy at my club helped designing a circuit, and this is what he came up with. It powers a flyback transformer with 14 on the primary and 240 on the secondary side, like the one in Uzzors project. I did a quick test running on a very empty lead-acid battery (about 9 volts, I know, I should recharge it xD) and I could get some +/- 1.5mm sparks from the secondary leads. Once I tried it with a fresh 12V lead battery the mosfet died, so I'll have to go look for a stronger one. Shouldn't be too hard, as I have like a ton already laying around here. I will measure and post its performance once I get it up and running again.
Hanzie
1356297628 6534 FT147660 Circuit

1356297628 6534 FT147660 Gedc0211
Hanzie
Fri Jan 25 2013, 04:40PM
Still working on it. Charging circuit works fine, and I found some capacitors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000uF-450V-PCB-Caps-Dip-Componnt-Radial-Electrolytic-Capacitors-KMH-1PC-New-/281037415517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416f22a45d
Turns out he didn't have any after all, so I'm gonna go for these instead. What do you guys think?
(That's one big link btw...)
PSCG
Fri Jan 25 2013, 05:34PM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
I have bought 2 of these capacitors and they are good enough to power a simple coilgun with a projectile close to yours (7 mm diameter) and punch a hole to a aluminum can (using only 1 capacitor). Also, i believe MrFlatox uses the same capacitors to power his ETC accelerator so they are fine to use for a coilgun.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: