Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Coilgun Project

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Turkey9
Sat Jan 07 2012, 07:31AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
You should create a thread in the projects section detailing all of the design. There are not very many good threads there dealing with coilguns.
Legit_bacon
Sat Jan 14 2012, 09:26PM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
"Things I need help with (marked in red on the schematic) are:"
Whole circuit highlighted lol!

Just thought I'd point that out, have no idea about the rest, way past my skill level. But good luck sounds like a sweet coilgun!
dingo27
Tue Jan 17 2012, 09:36PM
dingo27 Registered Member #890 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 10:06PM
well, about that halfbridge design - i think that controllers need half bridge to work, because when they are switching, they pump upper capacitor to open upper IGBT. simple GDT could be simpler solution.

Also, those drivers (i dont know why) hate low frequencies. I tried driving fullbridge with 2xIR2111 at 50HZ and fried them both, no idea why.

But i might be wrong.
Saz43
Fri Jan 20 2012, 01:36AM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

You should create a thread in the projects section detailing all of the design. There are not very many good threads there dealing with coilguns.
I decided not to make a project threat cus those so typically end in failure and/or lost interest. I'll write a thorough review of the design once I have something to show for it.

mattster_mac wrote ...

"Things I need help with (marked in red on the schematic) are:"
Whole circuit highlighted lol!

Just thought I'd point that out, have no idea about the rest, way past my skill level. But good luck sounds like a sweet coilgun!
We'll it's all (mostly) figured out now cheesey. The complicated looking part is the IR2110 and it's really not much more complicated than wiring up a NE555. Just a few more components and one clever arrangement of transistors to make it work automatically.

dingo27 wrote ...

well, about that halfbridge design - i think that controllers need half bridge to work, because when they are switching, they pump upper capacitor to open upper IGBT. simple GDT could be simpler solution.

Also, those drivers (i dont know why) hate low frequencies. I tried driving fullbridge with 2xIR2111 at 50HZ and fried them both, no idea why.

But i might be wrong.
You're right, the controller (IR2110) is a high side driver, which means it can drive a NPN transistor whose emitter is not at ground. It does this with a bootstrap capacitor. A GDT can also be used, and is simpler if you have a readily available AC source.
Saz43
Tue Feb 14 2012, 06:14AM
I can't resist sharing. 3 stages working so far, 4.52J muzzle energy and she fires as fast as you can feed her!

1329199891 1525 FT100083 P2130211

The other little bits are various science modules that are waiting to be fitted to the later stages. 8 total stages planned, and coming along nicely! So far, estimated efficiencies are 3.45%, 8.28%, and 9.96% on respective stages. Punches right through empty beer cans like nothing!
Turkey9
Tue Feb 14 2012, 06:52AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
DROOLLL.
That's coming along nicely! Can you give us some more specs? Muzzle velocity? How are you estimating efficiency? It's been a while since I've come across a well built half bridge coilgun.
Saz43
Tue Feb 14 2012, 04:38PM
Turkey9 wrote ...

DROOLLL.
That's coming along nicely! Can you give us some more specs? Muzzle velocity? How are you estimating efficiency? It's been a while since I've come across a well built half bridge coilgun.

I'm trying to keep a lot of this under wraps for various reasons, but the muzzle velocity is aproaching 30m/s. Efficiency is tricky because with the equipment I have, it requires some simulation and some assumptions. I'll post another update when I get all 8 stages installed, and again when it's done (God willing).
Legit_bacon
Wed Feb 15 2012, 06:51AM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
Wow Saz... WOW! you never fail to amaze me! nice work so far.
:D
Saz43
Sat Mar 10 2012, 09:03AM
After much effort, I managed to test 7 of the 8 stages- for some reason, the 8th stage comparator shorts out the power supply whenever you apply voltage to the + input... no idea why. Also, special thanks to "Quack" (Inducktion?) in the 4HV chat for helping me figure out a dV/dt triggering issue that caused explosions last week. Anyways, here are the results of tonight's science:

Th P3100271

Results

A sharpened nail with 8.6J needs a cardboard box, every page of a paperback solutions manual, and a plywood plate to stop it!

Since this is a battery powered coilgun, estimating coilgun efficiency is a little different. I define coilgun efficiency as KE/total energy delivered to coil. Here’s how I did it, would appreciate input/criticisms.

1. Measure KE with scale & speed detector
2. Assume const. acceleration in coil, determine pulse width t=2*l/(v_i+v_f), where l is length of projectile
3. Input t into LTSpice simulation of circuit to determine energy delivered to coil. Simulation depends on following assumptions (asterisk denotes weak assumption):
a. 6 mOhms battery internal series resistance*
b. 30 mOhms series leakage resistance*
c. Estimates of coil L and R from Barry’s Inductor Sim
d. Transistor V_CEsat of whatever LTSpice model has
e. Neglect voltage induced in coil by projectile (impedes actual coil current especially in later stages, makes est. conservative)
f. Neglect dynamic increase in coil inductance as projectile passes through coil (slows actual current rise time, makes est. conservative)

Th Sim

Next step is to figure out what's wrong with the stage 8 trigger, then run up the bill from McMastar Carr for the body.
Steve Conner
Sat Mar 10 2012, 11:07AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Sweet! smile Haven't seen a good coilgun on the forum in a while.

The 8th stage comparator issue sounds like the chip is latching up. Maybe you're applying a voltage outside of the supply rails, or maybe the chip is damaged from an earlier incident similar to that? I've seen CMOS op-amps do very weird things after being zapped with excessive supply voltage.
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: