Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Another plasma speaker [edit: photo]

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
tobias
Thu May 21 2009, 11:52AM Print
tobias Registered Member #1956 Joined: Wed Feb 04 2009, 01:22PM
Inspired by Richard's project a few months ago I decided to build a Plasma Speaker. After a few attempts I did a nice Frequency Modulated circuit with the TL494, a 'voltage follower' opamp for a high impedance audio in and a mic4429 as a mosfet driver:
Plasmaarctobias

The sound is amazing besides the low power output.

I'm running it at 30 V @ 2,4 A (see video), 95 kHz base frequency, 12 turns external primary on the flyback.
The main problem I have is the kickback of the flyback when it's turned off. I found on the net a few flyblack snubber circuits and tried everyone. Some did nothing. Others just killed the arc. And one of them (see schematic) seems to work well. But the 390 ohm resistor is getting very hot. Mosfet heating at this power is OK.
Trying to put a 0,22 uF 400 V cap in parallel with the primary seems to make the arc hotter, but did not change the input power nor heating.

Schematic
Video
Next step is a DIY woodbox for it, and paint it black.
Any help would be appreciated.
GeordieBoy
Thu May 21 2009, 12:01PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Snubber design is a complicated subject, so it is hard to advise on individual cases without knowing all of the numbers.

Bare in mind that snubbers generally shift dissipation from silicon to resistors. So, for example, a turn-off snubber that catches what you call the "kickback" from the flyback transformer will prevent avalanching of the MOSFET (reducing it's heating) but will disipate this energy in the clamp circuit resistor instead.

The best type of snubber to use is a lossless (or quasi-resonant) snubber like that used inside the TV set that the flyback was pulled from. This typically uses a capacitor and fast diode across the switch. The basic circuit is shown here:

Link2

You have to mess about with the capacitor value, operating frequency and off-time of the gate-drive to get the correct waveforms. Once everything is right, there are virtually no switching losses in the circuit, and the peak flyback voltage is ideally just under the Vmax of the switch.

-Richie,
tobias
Thu May 21 2009, 12:11PM
Nice Richie!

I will try it!
I have a few MUR820 here. It should make it.
Can you just give me a 'start' value for the cap? I'm running it at 30 V 2,7 A..

And another important question: I did not tried to use the scope at the primary (showing gate on the video). There is a risk to do so?? Can I blow the scope up?

Best regards,
Tobias
tobias
Sat May 23 2009, 02:57PM
Yesterday I spent 2 hours on the lab messing with capacitor values for the snubber.

I've got the desired waveform with a 0,01 uF 400 V cap, running at 135 kHz, 30 V. With just 0,90 A a nice and smooth arc played crystal sound. The mosfet was unbelievable cold. But the distance between electrodes has to be less than 15 mm to form the arc. Too bad, I want at least 30 mm.

Trying to get the correct waveform with more power I blew up a mosfet and two 0,22 uF 400 V caps that overheated while I was changing frequency (on the 60 to 150 kHz range).

Any suggestions about values to try? Should I have to try bigger or smaller capacitances to get the correct snubber setup for a longer arc?
GeordieBoy
Sat May 23 2009, 03:42PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
In short the primary of the flyback transformer should be resonant at a frequency that is at least half that who's period is equal to the off-time of the switch. i.e. You must allow sufficient off-time for the primary and snubber cap to undergo a half-cycle of resonant operation before the MOSFET switches on again.

Just play with the cap value, the operating frequency and the duty ratio until you see the right drain voltage waveform. You really do need to be able to see the drain voltage waveform though to do this optimisation. There isn't any other way of getting it right as far as I know. A x10 probe should suffice provided you're not expecting to see more than a few hundred volts there. If you are using a TV HOT for the switch and expect a thousand volts or more, then you will need a x100 HV probe for the scope to measure it safely.

-Richie,
Dr. Dark Current
Sun May 24 2009, 10:47AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
GeordieBoy wrote ...

The best type of snubber to use is a lossless (or quasi-resonant) snubber like that used inside the TV set that the flyback was pulled from. This typically uses a capacitor and fast diode across the switch. The basic circuit is shown here:

Link2

Remember that if you use this kind of driver, you must make sure the transistor turns on with zero (or near-zero) voltage across it, otherwise it may get damaged. This is impossible with dynamic loads such as arcs. Here's my latest effort of protecting the transistor if it turns on with non-zero volts, with some crude description. Remember that it's just an experimental schematic and component values are given for the supply voltage (55V). Link2

tobias
Sun May 24 2009, 01:52PM
Dr. Kilovolt

May I ask why 21 kHz driving frequency? It's right after the audible range but I think you are not using that for audio modulation, right?

Tomorrow I will go to the lab trying to get both circuits working and see what they do on the scope. I'll bring back some pictures of the waveforms on the scope for the thread.
Killa-X
Sun May 24 2009, 02:51PM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I think with me, My snubber resulted using 2 capacitors, 1 diode+resistor in parallel, and a varistor accross the + - of the whole thing. My issue is the resistor getting hot evne though its rated 10W but its fine in the heatsink i made. Else it resulted (due to the primary capacitor) in a MUCH thicker arc, and made very loud music :) for a 555, it sounded good :D

Tobias, At least you used a case for your plasma speaker, I forgot cheesey

Maybe it's my heatsink, but even with no snubber, just flyback, my mosfet never got warm. I know its rated 500V 20A however, but seriously, it never gets warm. The heatsink is like rated 80W is more I think, as the base is 4mm thick, and it was a 30 dollar sink. Even my 75V doesn't heat that thing, But i'll admit theirs a slight change of my room lights at that power.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun May 24 2009, 03:30PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
tobias wrote ...

Dr. Kilovolt

May I ask why 21 kHz driving frequency? It's right after the audible range but I think you are not using that for audio modulation, right?

Tomorrow I will go to the lab trying to get both circuits working and see what they do on the scope. I'll bring back some pictures of the waveforms on the scope for the thread.

Sorry, that frequency is for efficient transformer driving. Of course you should use more for audio, and accordingly smaller cap. (maybe double the frequency - 4x smaller cap, but I'm not sure about this now)

tobias
Sun May 24 2009, 06:06PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote...

Sorry, that frequency is for efficient transformer driving. Of course you should use more for audio, and accordingly smaller cap. (maybe double the frequency - 4x smaller cap, but I'm not sure about this now)

I'm using ~100 kHz. And your snubber notes says that if I lower the voltage 2x then the cap must be 4x bigger. So I will start trying the range from 0,05 to 0,1 uF. I only have 400 V rated caps but my supply voltage is only 30 V.

Killa-X wrote...

I think with me, My snubber resulted using 2 capacitors, 1 diode+resistor in parallel, and a varistor accross the + - of the whole thing. My issue is the resistor getting hot evne though its rated 10W but its fine in the heatsink i made. Else it resulted (due to the primary capacitor) in a MUCH thicker arc, and made very loud music :) for a 555, it sounded good :D

Tobias, At least you used a case for your plasma speaker, I forgot

I noticed that the arc gets hotter with a parallel cap on the primary without any changes on the power consumption or mosfet heating. But I dont know if that's a good thing because my tungsten electrode gets really hot then.

The tube is painted black now. I want to polish the aluminium and the copper electrode before finishing this project =)
36 L
mod edit: oversized pix, site rules say 400 pixels max plz!

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: