All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Synchronous rotary spark gap motor help.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Arcstarter
Tue Mar 10 2009, 05:47PM Print
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
I got a rotary vane pump a year or two back, and i took the pump part off, to use the motor as a rsg.

Now i want to make a synchronous rotary spark gap with it. I know that you can make an induction motor synchronous by grinding 2 flats in the rotor (i have a 3450rpm motor). The problem is that i have no sophisticated tools and nothing to measure weight or size with. A caliper would be great though.

The motor model number is 1521-107B-G288X. Link2 It is 1/10 HP, and 3450 RPM with 60hz.

The tools i have are very basic. Angle grinder, jigsaw, drill. I have sandpaper and a belt sander, and access to a bench grinder.

I basically want to know how i should make the flats. How 'deep' they should be is basically all that i need to know.

Herr Zapp
Tue Mar 10 2009, 11:49PM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Arcstarter -

Six seconds searching the web yielded:

Link2

Regards,
Herr Zapp
Timo
Wed Mar 11 2009, 12:41AM
Timo Registered Member #1538 Joined: Thu Jun 12 2008, 07:28PM
Hi Arcstarter

I will try to help you out by adding some pics showing my SRSG in a disassembled condition. I build it using a motor taken from a laundry / tumble dryer. It was used to power its fan. Maybe it’s something like 1/4 hp, but I don’t know. Now 1500 RPM (50 Hz). The motor turns the wooden disk (diameter 20 cm) easily and never looses synchronisation. It takes about one second to spin up, than all of a sudden the noise generated changes and the motor "locks" to the line frequency. However, it is always possible to slow the disk by touching it with your hand (carefully!) to ad some additional torch.
I noted that the heating of the coils increased a little, and can get uncomfortable to touch if the motor is left running for hours spinning the disk. But a 30min run is no problem at all.

1236729956 1538 FT65361 Img 4160

The rotor: As you see it has 4 flats (of course, 1500RPM!)

1236730449 1538 FT65361 Img 6864

1236730711 1538 FT65361 Img 6865

1236730711 1538 FT65361 Img 6868

All the Parts:

1236730749 1538 FT65361 Img 6874

And, finally, a picture of the large number of tools required:

1236730881 1538 FT65361 Img 6875
Arcstarter
Wed Mar 11 2009, 01:30AM
@ Herr Zapp:
I actually visited that site. I suppose i am not remembering what i read. I basically want to know how much i should take off. From what i read previously on that site, it states that some of the 'shorts' in the rotor should be taken out. I just need to know how much would be necessary for my motor.

@ Timo:
Thanks alot! That sure does help. I do have a file, but not a rasp >.<. I am sure i can find something abrasive enough though, i could either use the angle grinder, or maybe even my hands (seriously, my calluses are very rough!!)

UPDATE: I just noticed, there are two places in the rotor where the color changes (it is grey, when the majority is an iron color). You can see it in the photo on the first post, it was right in the middle of the rotor. It is the last or second to last picture. Should i avoid putting a flat in that part? It would make really no sense to have to, seeing as it looks to be a discontinuity already :P.

Herr Zapp
Wed Mar 11 2009, 03:40AM
Herr Zapp Registered Member #480 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:08PM
Arcstarter -

Go back to the evolve site, and take a second look at the procedure that's presented. The instructions are pretty explicit.

There are no "standard" dimensions for the rotor flats; every different motor type and model will have its own unique flat dimensions, based on the motor's rotor and stator dimensions and winding configuration.

The critical dimension for the rotor flats is the width. Examine your stator assembly, and determine the distance between the "dead" poles. You will want the width of your rotor flats to match the distance between the dead poles on your stator.

If at all possible, find someone with a milling machine and have the flats milled precisely, rather then try to use a file, belt sander, etc. Any machine shop could do this simple machining in 15 - 20 minutes.

The flats CAN be created at home via crude methods, but the rotor balance will never be as satisfactory as on a rotor that has been precisely machined. Because of its higher speed (3600 RPM vs 1800 RPM), your motor will be particularly sensitive to unbalance caused by makeshift machining.

If you don't make the flats large enough, the motor won't achieve synchronism with the AC line when loaded with the RSG disk. If you take off too much material, the motor will run very hot, and still may not have enough torque to synch up.

In any case, after modification the motor will have less torque (= less horsepower) than it originally did. Try to minimize the mass of the RSG wheel and electrodes, while maintaining adequate strength to prevent self-destruction due to centrifugal force.

Regards,
Herr Zapp
GeordieBoy
Wed Mar 11 2009, 01:41PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Timo, that motor is just like the one I used for my first Synchronous RSG. It also came from a clothes dryer and had the same mounting cradle and clips that let you rotate the motor in the cradle. Very important for finding the best firing angle of the spark gap.

I'd say that the amount of material you took off with the hand file is just about right or maybe slightly on the cautious side. A good way to test the salient pole synchronous motors locking ability is to mount the RSG disc and electrodes, spin it up to speed and check it locks. Then slowly decrease the supply voltage to the motor using a variac. You want to be able to get well below the worst case low mains voltage before the motor starts to pole slip (accompanied by that strange "weeeoooouuuw... weeeoooouuuw,,, weeeoooouuuw..." noise!) If the motor pole slips with only a slight reduction in mains voltage, or with slight mechanical loading you need to take off more metal to increase the synchronous locking torque.

The important thing is that if you take off too little metal the motor will only barely lock synchronously with the line. Then when you fire up your high power tesla coil the extra current draw from the line will might make the motor loose synchronicity or will at least shift the firing phase significantly. On the other side, taking off too much metal will cause the motor to run hot because you are increasing the air gap in the magnetic path. For a marginally rated motor it can also reduce the low-speed torque making the motor unable to actually get a large rotary disc up to synchronous speed!

-Richie,
Arcstarter
Wed Mar 11 2009, 09:35PM
I have now ground some flats now, but it is still not sync i dont think. When i slow it down enough, i can hear the sound change just like i expected, but this means nothing. I put a dot on the shaft with a sharpie, and put it near a regular 60hz light (the only source of light). I could not even see the dot, no matter where i looked. also, the is a hole from side to side on the shaft, and no matter how i looked through it i could see through it, but with some blur.

1236807324 1225 FT65361 Arsg Motor 001

1236807324 1225 FT65361 Arsg Motor 002

Update: Now i tried under a florescent light, and it was no better.
Timo
Thu Mar 12 2009, 01:22AM
Timo Registered Member #1538 Joined: Thu Jun 12 2008, 07:28PM
Richie, that’s funny. The same motors all across Europe. Btw, I actually tried its ability to lock to the mains frequency exactly as you said. I had to disassemble the motor twice, because I filed down to little in the first try. Now the motor locks at about 180V input with the disk installed and stays locked until the voltage is lowered significantly .
To avoid problems with an unbalanced rotor, I filed as flat and strait as possible (no curvature) and measured the width of the flats (pic 4 in my previous post). Same width gives roughly the same mass. Trivial statement, at least easier than filing straight. But, however, it is a lot less critical with a motor that 1) runs slower, 2) is bigger (12mm shaft, tough bearing), and 3) has a rotor that is heavy compared to the material you need to file away. After all, I think that my wooden disk is a lot worse balanced that the rotor smile

@ Arcstarter: Maybe your motor runs synchronous already. I was never able to see any sign of synchronous rotation with light bulbs or florescent light tubes. To check for proper operation I used a bright LED driven by a short puls (~ 100-500us) coming from a monoflop (monostable multivibrator? translation problem >.< ). This was triggered by the output voltage of a small transformer once per mains period. A sharp picture of something spinning with the motor can only be seen with very small duty cycles (100us << 20ms).
The easy method would be to run it from a variac and listen to the sound. It will become steady if the motor has locked, and changes with a relatively low frequency if it dose not lock. But on the other hand a motor without flats produces a steady sound, too. So? I guess you have to know what it should sound like, to be able to identify synchronous rotation just by hearing its noise.
If you like to I could try to get a record of my motor running “locked” and “not locked”, so you can get a feeling for the sound, but I will not be able to do that before Thursday evening.
lbenson
Sat Mar 14 2009, 03:35AM
lbenson Registered Member #1756 Joined: Tue Oct 14 2008, 07:12AM
What happens if you use a non synchronous motor on a rotary spark gap? Or perhaps what does not happen?
Gunboat
Sat Mar 14 2009, 11:57AM
Gunboat Registered Member #338 Joined: Thu Mar 23 2006, 12:28PM
lbenson wrote ...

What happens if you use a non synchronous motor on a rotary spark gap? Or perhaps what does not happen?
you won't get sync and your bps will be off. Meaning,that you will probably suffer spark loss
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: