Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

4xMOT driver!!!

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Shahn
Thu Mar 23 2006, 10:08AM Print
Shahn Registered Member #210 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 08:25AM
Hi All,
I have been playing a little with some MOTs I picked up. Haveput four in series so far, need more though for a huge arch. So far have got a 10cm across/15-20cm high arch. I was going to use it as a TC driver but still not sure. The pic Below is the arch I got (sorry about the quality of pic). Whats the most MOTs anyones ever had liked whithout having to put a screw driver over the fuse wire? cheesey

[Edit: Fixed oversized picture]
GimpyJoe
Thu Mar 23 2006, 01:36PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
Someone had a 12-pack that ran off 3 phase power. It could arc more than a foot!
Nik
Thu Mar 23 2006, 03:27PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
Bigest ive seen was a 10stack running on single phase.
Mike
Thu Mar 23 2006, 08:19PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Yes Mot's are quite fun but lethal !
So far I have taken 2 wired the primarys in parallel and secondarys in series and its running off 120vac unballasted
I can draw out about 1foot arcs using a voltage doubler with the microwave oven caps.
Movie here
Link2

Edit: Please Tell me that is not your hand holding the wire? Thats extremely dangerous, please use some sort of stick, preferably a white stick of PVC about 2feet long
Make sure not to use the black stuff since it has carbon and in it and it will conduct.

Mike
joshua_
Fri Mar 24 2006, 03:30AM
joshua_ Registered Member #61 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:50AM
Mike wrote ...

Edit: Please Tell me that is not your hand holding the wire? Thats extremely dangerous, please use some sort of stick, preferably a white stick of PVC about 2feet long
Make sure not to use the black stuff since it has carbon and in it and it will conduct.

And to add on to that, put those MOTs under oil NOW. Too high of a voltage across it will lead to a primary-secondary insulation failure, which can be potentially very dangerous. I would not recommend using a series configuration of more than two MOTs without extra isolation packs.
Shahn
Sat Mar 25 2006, 05:18AM
Mike wrote ...

Yes Mot's are quite fun but lethal !
So far I have taken 2 wired the primarys in parallel and secondarys in series and its running off 120vac unballasted
I can draw out about 1foot arcs using a voltage doubler with the microwave oven caps.
Movie here
Link2

Mike

Ummm well yes that is my hand.

I just tryed 5 MOTs in series with no extra insulation but quickely remover the power before it all went bang non of the MOTs were damaged. Has enyone had any luck with a stack as a TC power suply. I was planing to use a voltage X4 and see how it will run.

[Edit: Fixed double post]
Mike
Sat Mar 25 2006, 05:47AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Shahn maybe you didnt understand my last post, holding the wire with your bare hand is about the dumbest thing you can do , are you trying to kill yourself? The insulation on wires usually isnt rated for that kind of voltage/amperage.
Also, I am just going to assume here that your looking directly at the arc without any kind of eye protection? That is mostly equivelent to looking at the sun. Please don't mess around with High voltage/dangerous things unless you are going to take certain precautions to protect yourself.
vasil
Sat Mar 25 2006, 06:47AM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
i think that a 4 MOT pack, middle grounded, with +5 kV, -5 kV at the output, can ve run with any extrainsulation, without oil. For more MOTs is better to use oil. In the TC coil service it is possible to have HV transients, bigger than the output, so the best insulation is a must.
Shahn
Sat Mar 25 2006, 07:33AM
Mike wrote ...

Shahn maybe you didnt understand my last post, holding the wire with your bare hand is about the dumbest thing you can do , are you trying to kill yourself? The insulation on wires usually isnt rated for that kind of voltage/amperage.
Also, I am just going to assume here that your looking directly at the arc without any kind of eye protection? That is mostly equivelent to looking at the sun. Please don't mess around with High voltage/dangerous things unless you are going to take certain precautions to protect yourself.
Oh. Well I am very hapy not to have hurt or killed myself. Thank you for the advece, I will be more carefull fom now on.
Bjørn
Sat Mar 25 2006, 09:00AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Everyone should read this:
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Electrical_Safety

It takes less than a second for a MOT to kill you and just a small fraction of a second if you are unlucky. If you are not 100% sure about what you are doing you should stay far enough away from it that you can't reach it if you fall towards it.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: