Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

homemade hv xmfr driven by PLL-Neato!

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Thu Mar 23 2006, 04:14AM Print
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello all,
i got bored with the tesla coil today so i wound a single layer transformer on a large flyback core...Hooked it up to the 4046PLL and drove it at 120khz.Results were outstandng!I melted my screwdrivers after just seconds!Arcs strike around 3/4in and draw out about 3inches at 80 volts in...

I turned up the voltage to 120volts and the winding flashed to the core instantly melting the turns ill

It looks like a MOT going...

Its fixed now, so will take pics once girlfriend comes over smile

Some notes...About 150turns of essex 30awg heavy build wire.4 turns on the primary with 22awg hookup.

Power in via voltage doubler(10,000uF 400volt caps driven by 10amp variac)Half bridge of 40n60s barely get warm smile

PLL is basically steve conners circuit with some convience features(input select and such)I will try to audio-mod this bad boy. Interruptor is neato!I need to string up some high value resistors as current is just too high...

Matt
GimpyJoe
Thu Mar 23 2006, 01:45PM
GimpyJoe Registered Member #316 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:30PM
Cool! You could try rectifying it and then driving a sgtc with it. PLL SGTC!
Marko
Thu Mar 23 2006, 02:16PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
PLL is basically steve conners circuit with some convience features(input select and such)I will try to audio-mod this bad boy. Interruptor is neato!I need to string up some high value resistors as current is just too high...

hm, it uses antenan for feedback confused ?
EEYORE
Thu Mar 23 2006, 05:48PM
The board has a secondary base feedback xfmr for feedback, not a pesky antenna wink But i am not using feedback while driving the home-made xfmr, just letting it run without(does fine)Today i am winding a new secondary that will be more resistant to arcng to the core. I may go for 2 layers for more voltage, but i am unsure if plain clear tape will work well enough for insulation.

Matt
Marko
Thu Mar 23 2006, 07:21PM
You actually dont need PLL if you dont want to acheive some kind of resonance.
Secondary of your transformer also has the frequency it rings at (but it is probably too high with one layer) and it is best driven at it.

One NE555 could do the same with right driving, using just VCO doesnt mean it is PLL system.
Maybe you could use secondary base feedback as in schematic and see how it responds rolleyes

You are probably getting very high current at lower voltage, so you are getting 'mot-like' arcs.
Increasing numvber of turns will increase volage but lower the current and you get something lke ordinary flyback.

i have small bunch of telephone wire i wanted to wind my HV transformer but it is waiting for appropriate core for now.

cheers..
EEYORE
Thu Mar 23 2006, 08:29PM
Firkragg wrote ...

You actually dont need PLL if you dont want to acheive some kind of resonance.
Secondary of your transformer also has the frequency it rings at (but it is probably too high with one layer) and it is best driven at it.

One NE555 could do the same with right driving, using just VCO doesnt mean it is PLL system.
Maybe you could use secondary base feedback as in schematic and see how it responds rolleyes

You are probably getting very high current at lower voltage, so you are getting 'mot-like' arcs.
Increasing numvber of turns will increase volage but lower the current and you get something lke ordinary flyback.

i have small bunch of telephone wire i wanted to wind my HV transformer but it is waiting for appropriate core for now.

cheers..
Done...I hooked the xmfr up to the feedback xmfr and got alot more voltage...It broke down the tube it was wound on and completely destroyed it...Oh well...I have a new one on its way...Im hoping for higher voltage, much lower current.
pics coming soon...
Matt
Marko
Sat Mar 25 2006, 03:22PM
Nice work, I hope to see pictures soon.

I wonder if anyone before tried to use base current feedback (for PLL) on flyback confused ?
Steve Conner
Sun Mar 26 2006, 12:31AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Whee, nice work mattrg, thanks for helping my PLL to take over the world wink I seem to remember that I tried driving a ferrite transformer from an electronic NST with it. I just let it run with no feedback and tuned the frequency by hand. As I got near the resonant frequency of the secondary, the whole epoxy potted secondary winding started to crawl with brush discharges so I quit doing that before I wrecked the transformer.
EEYORE
Sun Mar 26 2006, 03:10AM
Firkragg wrote ...

Nice work, I hope to see pictures soon.

I wonder if anyone before tried to use base current feedback (for PLL) on flyback confused ?

Thats what im using, id say a flyback wont be much more different than what i wound....Just like in a tesla coil...Seems it is best w/o feedback though as it survives longer cheesey

Ive also made this thing drive an induction heater...Works really good at that too.
Versatile driver...
Matt

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: