Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Small Class E PLL Coil

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
uzzors2k
Mon Jan 28 2008, 07:43PM Print
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
When I started this project I was going to use a half-bridge, but I ruled it out in favour for class E, which I have never tried before. The relatively high frequency of the coil make class E a natural choice, since it will save otherwise huge switching losses and make gate drive easier since only one small gate has to be driven.

1201548870 95 FT0 Dsc00643

The secondary coil itself is 7 cm tall of 0.15mm? windings and 5 cm in diameter. This makes for a self-fres of ~1.35 MHz. For the PLL I used Steve's DWSSTC driver and for power amplification a single BD139/40 gate driver and single IRF630 mosfet was used. I tuned the coil for class E operation yesterday, and during the next few days I will implement audio modulation and an interrupter. Tuning for class E wasn't too difficult, the only problem was the compromise between coupling and proper class E operation. I had to use very low coupling (compared to offline half-bridge SSTCs) in-order not to overdamp the primary LC waveform. Some proof of class E switching is needed of course. Drain and gate voltage are scoped, ignore the ringing, I think my scope is picking up interference from the coil.

1201548870 95 FT0 Perfect Class E Switching

Class E really rocks, I can run the coil CW for long periods of time with just a small passive heatsink on the IRF630. Cooling will now be needed for the secondary instead. Some pics of the discharge with 50V supply voltage.

1201548870 95 FT0 Dsc00640 1201548870 95 FT0 Dsc00645
ShawnLG
Mon Jan 28 2008, 11:27PM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
I love it. Is your scope display showing two traces? Have you tried secondary current feedback instead of an antenna?

In my attempt to break the smallest SSTC record. I went with class E because of it's simplicity and its ability to work with high frequencies. Getting breakout with only a 2N7000 is difficult.
Spedy
Tue Jan 29 2008, 12:05AM
Spedy Registered Member #964 Joined: Wed Aug 22 2007, 12:39AM
Wow, that's really cool. Is class E really that easy for the power output? It looks fantastic. Good job.
flannelhead
Tue Jan 29 2008, 01:22PM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
That's a real beauty!!
I'm also going to make something similar. It's gonna be powered from 12v lead acid battery. The secondary is wound on a film canister (3.1 cm diameter, winding length 4.5 cm) with 0.1mm wire. I'll be most likely using PLL. Let's see what can I get out of that!!

BTW, would a IRFP240 or IRF540 be fine with that kind of a circuit?
uzzors2k
Tue Jan 29 2008, 02:40PM
Thanks. The oscilliogram is dual trace, with both drain and gate voltage shown simultaneously. It was taken with 12V test voltage, but the waveforms don't differ much at 50V. I haven't tried base current feedback yet, but I plan to do so soon. Antenna are just trouble when boxing up SSTCs. I can't recall your class E coil, did you make a thread about it or is it "unofficial"?

Class E requires very few parts, and is quite elegant. Tuning for proper class E switching is the only critical portion, and even that is easy. (A scope is required though) With a film can secondary the fres will be pretty high, so mosfets with small delays and capacitances are needed. Those mosfets should be fast enough Spark, and their gate charge isn't very large either. Try them and see! If you need IRF630s I've found piles of them in monitors.
ragnar
Tue Jan 29 2008, 03:26PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
**shameless hijack, because my thread of the same topic was ignored months ago**
1201620391 63 FT38197 Newdrvb13

1201620391 63 FT38197 Newdrvb9
Tom540
Tue Jan 29 2008, 08:30PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Matt Bingham wrote ...

**shameless hijack, because my thread of the same topic was ignored months ago**
1201620391 63 FT38197 Newdrvb13

1201620391 63 FT38197 Newdrvbvidthumb
1201620391 63 FT38197 Newdrvb9

thats because hijackers are ignored, lol.
flannelhead
Wed Jan 30 2008, 01:39PM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
Uzzors wrote ...

Class E requires very few parts, and is quite elegant. Tuning for proper class E switching is the only critical portion, and even that is easy. (A scope is required though) With a film can secondary the fres will be pretty high, so mosfets with small delays and capacitances are needed. Those mosfets should be fast enough Spark, and their gate charge isn't very large either. Try them and see! If you need IRF630s I've found piles of them in monitors.

Yep, the frequency will be high (calculated with javatc ~2.5 MHz). And that's why I'm gonna use 74HC4046 instead of the normal CD4046. Its output current/pin is 25mA, so I'll need a 220 ohm resistor from the VCO out to the BD139/40 bases, right? (I'm going to drive the circuitry with 5V, except 12V to the BD139 collector). Or could the VCO output (pin 4) be connected straight to the bases?

EDIT: One more question, what is thet 10R resistor on top of the dwsstc II schematic for? I can't see any reason for that. I suppose it can be left out if I use 74HC4046?
uzzors2k
Thu Jan 31 2008, 05:58PM
You had your thread, Matt Link2, but if your self esteem needs a boost be my guest... Beautiful coil Matt! cheesey

I think the 10 ohm resistor might be there to improve voltage regulation for the 4046. Being a VCO the frequency will be sensitive to supply fluctuations. Other than that I'm not sure what it's for, and I don't use one myself. 25mA isn't enough to drive the BD's hard enough to drive the main mosfet with good rise/fall times. I would use a 4049 buffer chip to take the strain off the PLL and supply enough current to the BDs. At 2.5MHz I don't know how well the BDs will hold up, even with a minuscule capacitance like the IRF630 has. You might want to use a gate drive chip, a really small, fast mosfet, or some better gate drive transistors.
Steve Conner
Thu Jan 31 2008, 06:48PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I put the 10 ohm resistor there, together with a capacitor to ground, to try and keep noise out of the 4046. I don't know whether it's needed or not. I read that the 4046 is sensitive to supply voltage variations, so I took that to mean dynamically as well as statically.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: