All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

flaming mini TC with single IRFP450

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Sun Nov 04 2007, 05:16AM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Whilst this is by no means my first SSTC, it's the first one I've ever put into a box and called "finished"! I feel sad for not taking more photos of this whilst I was building it.

Most of the bits (including the IXDD414 driver) are surface-mount. I'll never again attempt to solder down a TO-263 device with just a soldering iron; it was a pain in the arse, the copper on the board didn't have enough area to heatsink it properly, and was too thin to transmit much heat well, anyway. I'll have to buy some solder-paste and try my luck at toaster-oven reflow someday.

You just pop up to 40V in the side and that goes straight through the single IXDD414 into the primary. There's an 8-SOIC regulator for the oscillator and the cliched blue LED ^_^

I didn't have the guts to commit to fixed-value resistors, but I guess I can always do it now since I'm not going to change the secondary in a hurry :)

The aluminium box itself is connected to the base of the secondary and one end of the primary, so only one feedthrough needed for the hot wire after the DC-blocking capacitor. The aluminium box is 50mm x 50mm x 30mm.

A while ago I called for people to show some interest in smaller coils, but there wasn't much response. This coil didn't take long! Will someone else try their luck?

1194153417 63 FT0 Ixddcoil1

1194153417 63 FT0 Ixddcoil2 1194153417 63 FT0 Ixddcoil3

CT2
Sun Nov 04 2007, 05:38AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Man that thing looks sweet, I love the small coils. Takes alot of ingenuity and skill to make something like that. Great work. I tried to build a small coil but it wasn't especially small when all was said and done.
Sun Nov 04 2007, 06:10AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Proof that coils and girls can coexist wink

Amazing work, I have a hard time getting tube coils work at over a MHz. And that is a pretty decent sized discharge considering that the switch has no heatsink and you are running at 4mhz more or less CW amazed

Keep up the good work!
ragnar
Sun Nov 04 2007, 06:23AM
Cheers! I'm pleased enough with the result. Initially, I did want to cram a proper class-E coil into the box, but then I started to realise the difficulty of fitting the magnetics and caps in, so I compromised my principles to satisfy the plasma cravings.

The best part about this is that I know I won't be tempted to cannibalise the coil for parts; and because the primary is tight-fitting and held in place by the secondary which is screwed down, quick and easy plasma is as easy as plugging the coil in! No messing around with alligator leads, but just power supplies... :-/

Eek, the IXDD414 is starting to melt itself off the copper cladding. Next time I'll have to go with a TO-220 properly screwed to the inside of the case.

What do you think? Any suggestions?
uzzors2k
Sun Nov 04 2007, 08:52AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
That's a great display piece. A class E version would be nice.
Marko
Sun Nov 04 2007, 10:28AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hey Matt, beautiful coil wink
But you didn't care much how your board looks did you cheesey

Why did you need that much pots in there?

TO220 IC on large heat spreader might be a good idea... Do you use Schottky diodes across outputs in case of hard switching? I wouldn't really trust mos diodes in this application...

BTW, I think that it wouldn't be hard to use some kind of feedback, like a CT directly into IC's input? ,)

A class E version would be nice.

Class E coils are much more difficult than they may first look - and they work best in all-around-the-table mode with fixed oscillator. They want very fine and constant loading and frequency - and really hate to be moved around, held and hugged.

By using secondary feedback PLL I just made things worse than they would be with open loop. After I boxed it up I never really managed to tune the coil properly and with small heatsink I had inside I couldn't achieve even like half of CW arc size at 1Mhz which Richie Burnett did at 4.

And I also think it would be great hassle to put all the required components in a small box like this.

Marko

ragnar
Sun Nov 04 2007, 01:47PM
I'm tying to work out which looks better, the coil or the girlfriend! Naw, even though it's boxed up, it really doesn't look that good... it just looks like every other SSTC out there, except crammed into an aluminium box.

Some day I'd like to really play around with tapered coils with different secondary winding colours (black, blue), and design something ornamental to go over it that A) keeps fingers out, B) reduces the RF emissions, and C) looks good.

Perhaps next time there's a rainy day here, I'll pull it apart and fix some things up... including going with TO-220 drivers. But, the coil itself isn't new or unique (see Roffesoft and Jimmy's IXDD-based coils), isn't all that small in comparison, and the Fres isn't that high...

wrote ...
...But you didn't care much how your board looks did you...
Aw, I cared whilst I was designing it, but it quickly became apparent when I was trying to cut it out with a hacksaw, and when I had to mount all the extra stuff in the box that it wasn't going to be pretty. It looked great with just the surface-mount stuff on it! :P

wrote ...
Do you use Schottky diodes across outputs in case of hard switching?
Yep, I've got surface-mount 1N5819 Schottky diodes clamping the output to the v+/gnd rails. I'm not sure how hot they get, since I can't fit my fingers down there to touch them.

wrote ...
Why did you need that much pots in there?
They're involved in various parts of the driver like fine-tuning the RC, and varying the duty cycle that the IXDD414 sees. In due course, I could replace each pot with a fixed-value resistor... assuming the tolerances were good enough... maybe.

The main thing that worried me about fitting a class-E coil in the box is that there'd be little space between the flywheel/network components and the edges of the box... and the inductors' Q would turn to crap because they're surrounded on six sides by masses of ground.

I suppose a real challenge next could involve fitting two boards in there; one with a better driver, and the other with a TL494 and MOSFETs to drive a little ferrite transformer to provide proper audio modulation... that would probably take at least two rainy days, however. =P
Tom540
Sun Nov 04 2007, 10:42PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Haha, thats cool! I was wondering when you'd get one finished enough to box it up.
ragnar
Mon Nov 05 2007, 05:32AM
Wee, salty water. I think having finished projects makes me more prone to distraction!
1194240733 63 FT33735 Microps4
Firnagzen
Mon Nov 05 2007, 09:03AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
Ooh, nice coil! How many turns are there on it? (Approx, of course)

Also, I have a question- Will this circuit: Link2 run a tiny tesla coil? If it does, I'm going to try one really tiny one someday. I wonder if I can beat the size.

Though of course, the smallest is that 3cm one I saw some time back. Nanotess or something, I think!
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: