All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building a ZVS Flyback SGTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Fiddy
Mon Sept 26 2016, 10:33AM Print
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
G'day,

My girlfriend wants to build a tesla coil with me so ive gone about designing and ordering parts, just need a once over by someone more familiar with flyback driven coils than I.

See attached photo, am i in the ball park?

I ran JavaTC and it looks ok to me, I attached the load file to this post, it will resonate at ~500kHz is that acceptable?

Is 5-7 turns on the primary of the flyback ok or should i go higher/lower?

I have bought 10x 3kV 0.1uF caps for the tank, i think 30kV @ 10nF should be ok, 30kV is a bit high i think but can pull capacitors off to lower voltage and gain capacitance yes?

I plan on using 99.5% 3.6mm tungsten electrodes for TIG welders for the spark gap, is 3.6mm too small? should i run a few in parallel?

Anything you could tell me to benefit the output or construction would be great.

Things i have thought about but dont want to play with: I dont want to setup/build a rotary gap. I dont want to use a NST.

Cheers! Mitch.
1474886018 8817 FT0 2

]javatc_load_file.txt[/file]
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Sept 27 2016, 01:07AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
1. You're going to use a flyback to drive the primary tank at ~30KV? how do you plan to insulate the primary from arcing over all the time?
2. If you are charging at 30KV, then you have no safety margin for your capacitor for overvoltage
3. Primary tank circuits ringdown at 2X Vin, if charging at 30KV, ringdown is 60KV peak to peak, also insulation breakdown, should be an interesting fire.
4. I'm betting your gap is going to power-arc quite a bit, this will be a problem for optimal performance
5. Your gap will need an excess of 1", that is pretty lossy from an energy standpoint.
6. 10KV is probably more realistic for the gap/energy delivery/capacitor life/corona/insulation issues.
7. You will want an inductor between your charging system and the capacitor if using a typical flyback or the diode might go "poof"

Just some of my thoughts.
Fiddy
Tue Sept 27 2016, 04:03AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) wrote ...

1. You're going to use a flyback to drive the primary tank at ~30KV? how do you plan to insulate the primary from arcing over all the time?
2. If you are charging at 30KV, then you have no safety margin for your capacitor for overvoltage
3. Primary tank circuits ringdown at 2X Vin, if charging at 30KV, ringdown is 60KV peak to peak, also insulation breakdown, should be an interesting fire.
4. I'm betting your gap is going to power-arc quite a bit, this will be a problem for optimal performance
5. Your gap will need an excess of 1", that is pretty lossy from an energy standpoint.
6. 10KV is probably more realistic for the gap/energy delivery/capacitor life/corona/insulation issues.
7. You will want an inductor between your charging system and the capacitor if using a typical flyback or the diode might go "poof"

1. I didnt say i was driving the flyback at 30kV
2. I know this, again I didnt say i was driving the flyback at 30kV, thats just the MMC rating.
3. Again I didnt say i was driving the flyback at 30kV.
4. Going to power arc? what do you mean by this?
5. 1" Gap where did you derive this from?
6. Yes.
7. Why is this inductor needed? and what typical value should it be?
hen918
Tue Sept 27 2016, 06:16PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Fiddy wrote ...

When the spark gap fires, it is going to short out the charging circuit, also there will be large current spikes and high voltage with a horrible looking waveform happening in your primary tank. The rectifying diode will see a lot of that, and it won't like it! an inductor helps smooth out the current spikes that the primary tank produces.

The value will have to be guessed at but I should think you should start with something quite high, maybe in the range 1-10mH +. the only problems with high voltage inductors happen when either they don't do good enough job (the higher the better), or the turn to turn insulation breaks down, when it ends up with lots of voltage across it. To mitigate this, many smaller inductors can be put in series.
The only upside to high voltage inductors is that they don't generally have to have very high current ratings, so a few cheap little ones should do the job.

Disclaimer: I have never built this circuit, so others with more experience with TCs might want to comment :)
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Sept 28 2016, 01:24AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
I was thinking closer to 10H, but that's like an impossibility.

1" gap comes from 30kv per inch roughly.

You have to have the gap wide enough that it is not constantly "on", the system has to charge then breakdown causes it to fire when the capacitor is sufficiently charged, hence a wide gap for high voltages. If it is constantly on and not "quenching", just a bbbbzzzzaatttttt and not bang bang bang bang.. then it is power arcing.

Rotary gaps get around this problem because they close and open the gap mechanically, but as you stated, you already know all of this stuff.

You asked for input without specifying enough criteria.

You have not mentioned the arc goal either, so don't fault others when you ask for input.

Tesla coils have some 60 or more variables, so getting your design to fit what you want off of your short list is going to have a lot of input/suggestions and mismatch.
Fiddy
Wed Sept 28 2016, 02:04AM
hen918 wrote ...

Fiddy wrote ...

When the spark gap fires, it is going to short out the charging circuit, also there will be large current spikes and high voltage with a horrible looking waveform happening in your primary tank. The rectifying diode will see a lot of that, and it won't like it! an inductor helps smooth out the current spikes that the primary tank produces.

The value will have to be guessed at but I should think you should start with something quite high, maybe in the range 1-10mH +. the only problems with high voltage inductors happen when either they don't do good enough job (the higher the better), or the turn to turn insulation breaks down, when it ends up with lots of voltage across it. To mitigate this, many smaller inductors can be put in series.
The only upside to high voltage inductors is that they don't generally have to have very high current ratings, so a few cheap little ones should do the job.

Disclaimer: I have never built this circuit, so others with more experience with TCs might want to comment :)

I see, ive been looking at richieburnett's website on resonant charging, he has a formula for the calculating the charging inductor value for specified power at specified maximum BPS.

LP = 2xVDC^2 / (pi^2 x Power x BPS)

I get astronomical numbers when i use 240W, 200BPS and 10kV.

Ill have to make some inductors and try, also should i use a De-quing diode aswell?
Sulaiman
Wed Sept 28 2016, 08:36AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Fiddy,

Assuming that this girlfriend is a 'keeper',
Have you considered a small 'slayer' type of TC ?
A USB power pack is a sufficient power source

I think that Hazmat was refering to the use of an inductor to isolate the flyback diode from the spark gap / primary resonant circuit transients and oscillations.

richieburnett's website on resonant charging is good,
a good choice for a flyback powered RSGTC
the peak voltage on the primary cap reaches almost 2x the dc eht supply voltage,
so the strain on your flyback/inverter is much less as it provides lower, constant voltage
the dc eht capacitor(s) do not need to be rated for the same current as the primary capacitor,
mylar/pet/MKT/MMKT or any 'poly-' will do.

Yes you should use a de-Q-ing diode for resonant charging

Yes, the required charging inductnce is high.
Fiddy
Wed Sept 28 2016, 11:34AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Fiddy,

Assuming that this girlfriend is a 'keeper',
Have you considered a small 'slayer' type of TC ?
A USB power pack is a sufficient power source

I think that Hazmat was refering to the use of an inductor to isolate the flyback diode from the spark gap / primary resonant circuit transients and oscillations.

richieburnett's website on resonant charging is good,
a good choice for a flyback powered RSGTC
the peak voltage on the primary cap reaches almost 2x the dc eht supply voltage,
so the strain on your flyback/inverter is much less as it provides lower, constant voltage
the dc eht capacitor(s) do not need to be rated for the same current as the primary capacitor,
mylar/pet/MKT/MMKT or any 'poly-' will do.

Yes you should use a de-Q-ing diode for resonant charging

Yes, the required charging inductnce is high.

Yeah id rather not waste my time with slayer or USB units, they dont have enough power for the wow factor. Also girlfriend has studied electronics.
can i use the resonant charging inductor for a static gap coil?

I ordered some 15kV 550mA diodes for the de-Q-ing diode.

I will use a similar sized inductor to that of my secondary, seems to be about 10mH.
Sulaiman
Wed Sept 28 2016, 12:40PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
A static gap will work using dc resonant charging
but usually will not self-start without help (screwdriver across gap :)

Do not forget to provide airflow in the gap
a fuzzy spark is bad, a thin bright loud spark is required for performance.

Also, the zvs topology makes poor use of ferrite
(because of the resonant current which MUST be much more than the (transformed) output current for true zvs operation)
I would go for flyback mode myself,
preferably using the original primary winding and about 100 to 150 Vdc supply.

For the spark gap I use 3 kV/mm as a rough guide.
Fiddy
Wed Sept 28 2016, 12:53PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

A static gap will work using dc resonant charging
but usually will not self-start without help (screwdriver across gap :)

Do not forget to provide airflow in the gap
a fuzzy spark is bad, a thin bright loud spark is required for performance.

Also, the zvs topology makes poor use of ferrite
(because of the resonant current which MUST be much more than the (transformed) output current for true zvs operation)
I would go for flyback mode myself,
preferably using the original primary winding and about 100 to 150 Vdc supply.

For the spark gap I use 3 kV/mm as a rough guide.

hmmm why wouldnt it self start?
Hmmm ill see how i go in continuous mode then maybe goto flyback mode.

sweet thanks for your input!
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: