All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SiC Tesla Coil

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Tue Jun 07 2016, 05:40AM Print
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Hello Coilers,

I've built several coils of different sizes ranging from small systems to some rather large ones. Large coils are typically impressive when running at high power, but they pose several logistical challenges in terms of building them, storing them, running them and setting them up (and not to mention, they're pretty expensive!). Because of this this, I've been working on building smaller coils, and it has been quite a lot of fun! Turns out, building physically small coils has its own set of challenges associated with them as well.

As some of you might have seen earlier, one of my recent small builds was my tinyQCW coil (see: Link2 This was my first real attempt to make a really small yet high performance Tesla Coil. This ended up to be quite successful, with the coil producing sparks ~13x its secondary length (of 2.4 inches), and it convinced me that small coils can also be pretty cool shades.

There are two main problems with small coils: (1) they typically make small sparks and (2) due to their physically small geometry, and while keeping the coil still reasonably easy to construct by hand, their resonant frequencies have to be higher. This makes the power electronics more challenging to construct! This project aims to take a look at these two problems. smile

Though I have been quite busy with other things, I've put some thought in this project for a while so I thought I'll create a thread to share the progress as it goes along.

There has been talk about what will be the next new thing in coiling, and one of them is the advent of some new transistor technology - in this case, Silicon Carbide FETs. These have been in the market for a while now but they have pretty expensive... until recently. So despite them already laying the foundation for next-gen power inverters in the industry, as far as I am aware, SiC hasn't made its way yet into a SSTC yet.

SiC provides some very appealing characteristics for high frequency coils, specifically their extremely fast operation, higher operating temperature, very low Rds, and extremely low (but more complex) gate drive, among other nuanced things such as the rather poor intrinsic diode performance in the SiC transistor (this will require some more complex drive schemes like synchronous rectification but more on that to come later). So I decided to make a SiC based Tesla Coil.

27480640886 3c4e27b2b1 O
Note: for size comparison, the fan is a 60mm fan.

Above shows my attempt at this new SiC Tesla Coil. The board is fully integrated allowing mains operation 240VAC in. It is possible to make an even smaller design by making it more modular and removing the bus caps (and driving say via a LiPo battery pack which has been executed brilliantly by Steve and forms much of the basis of inspiration of this project), simplifying the gate drive (I probably have an over-kill gate drive!) and also going to a 4 layer board, but the result is still quite small and about the size of a scientific calculator. The board features fully isolated discrete +15 -3V gate drive for all FETs with programmable dead time, integrated power supplies, on-board CT and a full bridge of 900V 35A (90Apk) SiC FETs each with its own live heat-sink.

27442817721 Ffe4749bb6 O

The main board contains the power section, gate drive and supplies, but it needs a driver. Control is provided via a very tiny driver daughter-board running a PSoC, and provides a bunch of different IO, gate drive signals, and CT feedback. The modular design allows for future more advanced controllers to be simply plugged in. Despite it's small size (1/3 the size of a UD2! or so!), it is in fact a fully-featured driver and even has 4 feedback LEDs and RS422 / Fiber communication as well as temperature sensing, UVLO, and fan power control plus a few other GPIO for future expansion. This was adopted from the very fine work done by Steve and Philip so big credit to them.

27515029055 7abc1555d5 O

Putting it all together, it looks like this (the header pins on the driver board are flipped, they should be pointing downwards). Despite its small size, it should be capable of similar power operation to my QCW 2 coil, yet being able to completely fit inside a small box, including the toroid, with a designed operating frequency of around 800kHz or so. Hopefully, making a high frequency QCW will also yield valuable insights!

More to come soon once I get the coil constructed and the boards soldered up. Hopefully, this will achieve the goal of a really small table-top coil, yet producing pretty big sparks, hopefully something like 2 feet or more. We'll see what happens!
nzoomed
Tue Jun 07 2016, 06:45AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Looks awesome Loneoceans!

I might have a go at a smaller coil once ive finished mine.
Graham Armitage
Tue Jun 07 2016, 11:56AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
This is very cool. Was thinking about doing a small desk-top coil for my next project. maybe SiC is the way to go. Thanks for sharing - look forward to seeing how this works out.
hen918
Tue Jun 07 2016, 05:14PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
loneoceans wrote ...

the rather poor intrinsic diode performance in the SiC transistor (this will require some more complex drive schemes like synchronous rectification but more on that to come later)

Or you could just put a SiC diode in anti-parallel with them...

Oh, and brilliant work by the way!
loneoceans
Tue Jun 07 2016, 06:55PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
hen918 wrote ...

Or you could just put a SiC diode in anti-parallel with them...

Oh, and brilliant work by the way!

That's right, but it was an active decision to leave them out to maintain the small size, to ease layout on a 2 layer board (would have been so much easier on a 4!) and also forces me to come up with more advanced and fun drive techniques, which is a lot easier with discrete gate drive smile
Netzpfuscher
Wed Jun 08 2016, 06:25AM
Netzpfuscher Registered Member #1131 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 01:36PM
Is the code on the psoc5 open source? I have a psoc5LP dev-board at home, perhaps i can use this board to pimp my old drsstc.
Uspring
Wed Jun 08 2016, 09:46AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Very nice build, Guangyan smile
Moreover new territory, AFAIK now one ever has built a 800kHz QCW coil. I expect thick arcs, possibly you can grow them faster and still keep them straight.

Mads Barnkob
Tue Jun 14 2016, 09:04PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Looking forward to see the results of this project, it is already high class from just the 3D :)

I do however already feel left many years behind with my love for DIP components.
nzoomed
Thu Jun 16 2016, 01:57AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Looking forward to see the results of this project, it is already high class from just the 3D :)

I do however already feel left many years behind with my love for DIP components.

Long live DIP!

SMD is OK, but i hate soldering the stuff.

I dont want to face the assembly of my next UD board! It took many hours and evenings doing a little bit at a time! lol
Hydron
Thu Jun 16 2016, 08:34PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Once you learn to work with SMD you'll never look back!
(OK, 0402 and smaller gets painful, but anything larger is _FASTER_ to solder than through hole, no pissing about bending leads and clipping them to length).
Even the leadless stuff isn't normally a big deal if you have hot air and some sort of magnification.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: