Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Class E? Class E...

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Tue Feb 16 2016, 07:46AM Print
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Alright, I have been here a long time and can say I have had hit and miss posts on here. I like 4hv and only come here and support this site and if i ask stupid questions im sorry.

To celebrate the purchase of my new oscilloscope I want to build a tiny, cool running, beautiful HFSSTC Class E coil.

Other then Link2 and Link2 and Link2 What else is there for resources? Do I need to just read about RF amp. designs ?

Goals:

Higher the Mhz the better

Provide information for people like me

Fixed frequency

cool heatsinks ( happy fets)

I see mostly IRFP460's used... tell me is this a way better replacement ? Link2 1/8 of the Rds!! 3x current !!!

Is Erik T, Using rectified mains ? Link2 150v in?

Power Input? I have this Link2 Or would mains work like Erik's 150v input (170v Smoothed)***

So What I gather is I need a fixed ossilation via crystal and I need to clean up the signal/ make it able to switch my Link2 on and off, tune coil via L and C? Bring (force) switching to ZVS of course wink

Additionally, interrupters... Staccato? Class E sword streamers?

Dr. Slack
Tue Feb 16 2016, 10:49AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Your Mouser link with 1/8th rds, just goes to the main site and not the component. I would have thought that rDS was relatively unimportant compared to switching energy if you want MOAR MHz.
ZakWolf
Tue Feb 16 2016, 04:19PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Your Mouser link with 1/8th rds, just goes to the main site and not the component. I would have thought that rDS was relatively unimportant compared to switching energy if you want MOAR MHz.

Original post updated/fixed
Inducktion
Tue Feb 16 2016, 07:01PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
I don't know much about class E, but I do know that switching times and gate capacitance are the biggest factors in determining how fast a fet can switch on and off. At the speeds you're switching the fets RDSon becomes the lesser of the two evils, and switching losses will dominate how much power you dissipate.

Hell even the driver and just discharging and recharging the gate capacitance can dissipate a decent amount of RF power alone.
jdub1581hv
Tue Feb 16 2016, 09:30PM
jdub1581hv Registered Member #55219 Joined: Tue Jun 09 2015, 11:21PM
I too am diving into the class E and E/F(added harmonic filters, 2fo, 3fo, 5fo).
You forgot about Steve Wards class E S. Wards cESSTC

I was about to post the same topic, Mind if I piggyback?

For me however, I am looking into the lower F(res) 300khz - 600khz.

So here's what I found as the basic amp schematic:
E Schematic

I did find this online Class E Calculator Class E Calculator ..
More for Radio work, so should help you with the high(er) MHZ

However there are a few things that I am unsure about as many I see only use L1 and C1 in regards to TC's.
(Forgive my ignorance if this sounds dumb, still tons I have no Idea about..)

Are C2-L2 the switches values or actual components? Or the combination/reduction of both?

ZakWolf
Wed Feb 17 2016, 04:51AM
jdub1581hv wrote ...

I too am diving into the class E and E/F(added harmonic filters, 2fo, 3fo, 5fo).
You forgot about Steve Wards class E S. Wards cESSTC

I was about to post the same topic, Mind if I piggyback?

For me however, I am looking into the lower F(res) 300khz - 600khz.

So here's what I found as the basic amp schematic:
E Schematic

I did find this online Class E Calculator Class E Calculator ..
More for Radio work, so should help you with the high(er) MHZ

However there are a few things that I am unsure about as many I see only use L1 and C1 in regards to TC's.
(Forgive my ignorance if this sounds dumb, still tons I have no Idea about..)

Are C2-L2 the switches values or actual components? Or the combination/reduction of both?

You may Piggy Back. More the merry.

I was also looking for RF Amps schematics around the 4Mhz area and have very little

Edit: Give this a read Link2 !!
jdub1581hv
Wed Feb 17 2016, 08:59PM
So I fixed the calculator link (forgot to put the http in) .. Sorry bout that.

Also here is another good read.. helped me out at least though it is geared more to class F
Class F and Inverse class F
Covers it all as far as getting the design down, switching behavior, filtering etc..
I'm leaning more to the E/F hybrid myself, as to be both efficient and powerful (F is less efficient, yet more power out from what I read.. but can reach 100% as well with precision parts and design).

And also, I think the impedance matching and component reduction finally started making sense last night. For me only being able to read online and not converse with live people (aside from here) has made this quite the adventure...

I have a couple Cree SiC Mosfets 900v 36a I want to use for this, but for now I'm too timid and don't enjoy $10 smoke rings.

So for now I have 3 CEFF630 mfets, 10a, 650v, low Ciss 800pf / Coss 150pf , and rds of .27 - .4ohms
I'm a little worried about the dissipation only being 35W...

There also seems to be a lot of different ways to deal with drive signal, but I'm debating Res. Feedback vs Xtal .. I don't think the 4046 pll would have any problems, but I've read it has its own intrinsic flaws...

Still curious if anyone could give some design guidelines as far as where to start.. Start with resonator, fets, frequency? I've got about 15 resonators to choose from, starting: 1/2"dia x 3"
-> 6"dia x 24" , with a rough F range of 6mhz down to 150khz ...
jdub1581hv
Wed Feb 17 2016, 11:33PM
Another good read..
]hfe0111_firas.pdf[/file]
ZakWolf
Thu Feb 18 2016, 12:08AM
jdub1581hv wrote ...

So I fixed the calculator link (forgot to put the http in) .. Sorry bout that.

Also here is another good read.. helped me out at least though it is geared more to class F
Class F and Inverse class F
Covers it all as far as getting the design down, switching behavior, filtering etc..
I'm leaning more to the E/F hybrid myself, as to be both efficient and powerful (F is less efficient, yet more power out from what I read.. but can reach 100% as well with precision parts and design).

And also, I think the impedance matching and component reduction finally started making sense last night. For me only being able to read online and not converse with live people (aside from here) has made this quite the adventure...

I have a couple Cree SiC Mosfets 900v 36a I want to use for this, but for now I'm too timid and don't enjoy $10 smoke rings.

So for now I have 3 CEFF630 mfets, 10a, 650v, low Ciss 800pf / Coss 150pf , and rds of .27 - .4ohms
I'm a little worried about the dissipation only being 35W...

There also seems to be a lot of different ways to deal with drive signal, but I'm debating Res. Feedback vs Xtal .. I don't think the 4046 pll would have any problems, but I've read it has its own intrinsic flaws...

Still curious if anyone could give some design guidelines as far as where to start.. Start with resonator, fets, frequency? I've got about 15 resonators to choose from, starting: 1/2"dia x 3"
-> 6"dia x 24" , with a rough F range of 6mhz down to 150khz ...

jdub1581hv wrote ...

Another good read..

Thanks I have been working so I havent had time to read till now. I found this its extensive and seems really organized [quote]
Another good read.. Link2 its also Class E/F design
Inducktion
Thu Feb 18 2016, 01:41AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
jdub1581hv, you have to be careful with SiC Fet's.

Pay heavy attention to the voltage they can handle on their gates.... They do not tolerate negative swings more than like, -5 volts before they start to have issues/break down.

1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: