Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction heater: hybrid drivers strange behaviour

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ramonn
Sun Nov 29 2015, 08:43PM Print
Ramonn Registered Member #54436 Joined: Sun Feb 08 2015, 10:33PM
Hello IH family: Trying to follow the Campbell project, I built the hybrid drivers for the IGBT’s, (M57962L driver and VLA106-15242 DC-DC converter) but I’ve found a strange behaviour in them: the output signals they delivery to the gates is wider than the input ones. It seems those drivers delivery the signals referenced to the negative cycle of the input pulse… which is always under the theory 50%, so both channels of igbts are shorted for a time, see pictures. I’m scared to feed the bricks under that short-circuit… I’ve tried with different oscillators: the mindchallenger PLL, another one based on a IC3525, other on the pwm494, also a 555 timer, all with and without gate transformers, etc. Problem persists… Even using the 494 as pwm, I’ve seen the narrower is the input, the wider the output. Datasheets don’t clarify anything… I’ve tried to contact to Mr. Campbell, but, unfortunately it seems he is no longer active in IH world… and what is worse, will never finish his wonderful ReactorForge project. So, I come here hopping someone else has worked or somehow involved to those hybrid drivers, for any help if ever found the same problem. Thank you in advance..
1448829710 54436 FT0 Oscillators
Ramonn
Sun Nov 29 2015, 08:47PM

1448829991 54436 FT174126 Logic Input

1448830012 54436 FT174126 Overlap Output Signals

Frequency is about 70Khz
parasole
Fri Dec 04 2015, 05:59PM
parasole Registered Member #54647 Joined: Wed Mar 18 2015, 02:52PM
Hi Ramon,

did you follow Powerex AN?
Link2

I am going to use similar product (VLA567-01R), already in my hands but did not come yet to any testing...
Ramonn
Sun Dec 06 2015, 11:04PM
Hello Parasole;
Yes I read that datasheet, and above all I stuffed that hybrid drivers following strictly Campbell's BOM and pcb layout... What I find hard to believe is, as I said, the out pulses provided by this drivers are WIDER than the input ones, the signal from an oscillator. So it always will be a shortcircuit time. Maybe it works as a kind of "oposite", taking the negative cicle of the wave to drive the gate signals. In this case, I dont't know how to generate a wave with wider negative pulses... Yours is some different to mine; test it in a breadboard and tell me the result... Thank you.
parasole
Mon Dec 07 2015, 08:35PM
Ramonn wrote ...

What I find hard to believe is, as I said, the out pulses provided by this drivers are WIDER than the input ones

hm, looked once again to your signals, did you try to change the duty cycle for your signal? Try for example 30/70 instead of 50%... Then you may adjust your input signal duty cycle to the desired dead time interval, I believe this is the way...
From data sheet it looks like the rise time and propagation time could be different within their limits, then no surprise that there might be differences in output signal:
“L-H” Propagation Time tPLH VI = 0 to 4V, Tj ± 85°C — 1.0 1.5 µs
“L-H” Rise Time tr VI = 0 to 4V, Tj ± 85°C — 0.6 1.0 µs
“H-L” Propagation Time tPHL VI = 0 to 4V, Tj ± 85°C — 1.0 1.5 µs
“H-L” Rise Time tr VI = 0 to 4V, Tj ± 85°C — 0.4 1.0 µs
Ramonn
Tue Dec 08 2015, 11:05AM
Hello; having another look to the paper, I've noticed that the built-in optocoupler seems really working referenced to negative cycle, see picture... pin 14 is constant 5V supply, and pin 13 is driver signal, so the opto only will be 'on' during negative cycle. I've tried a pwm pulse, it confirms that: decreasing the duty increases the output!! I'm thinking to change polarity; 5V to pin 13 and signal to pin 14. Let's see what happens...

parasole
Tue Dec 08 2015, 05:36PM
Ramonn wrote ...

Hello; having another look to the paper, I've noticed that the built-in optocoupler seems really working referenced to negative cycle, see picture... pin 14 is constant 5V supply, and pin 13 is driver signal, so the opto only will be 'on' during negative cycle.
Now I got what do you mean by negative cycle smile Actually it is not negative, at the input it is logical level and there is high (Vcc) and low level (ground). Than yes, while having feeding positive voltage supply, signal side active level is low, and this is all you need to know, just provide low active with requited duration. Obviously, you may ground pin 13 than feeding high active level to pin 14 will do the job, just make sure you will provide enough current, usually active high is having lower load capability than active low, just due of the way output stage is done on ICs...
Ramonn
Fri Dec 11 2015, 07:12PM
Yes, I said it wrongly!, both my english and electronics knowledge are small, :( meant "low level".... I changed pins as I said, but as I start from the simple oscillator output from the PLL 4046 chip, I have to "duplicate" it, with a transformer, obtaining two signals to feed the two pairs of IGBT gates (180 degrees de-phased), what leads me to the original problem: overlapping open-times for the igbt's. But I've discovered that decreasing de voltage of the pcb, decreases the overlapping, or putting a resistor in one input of the transformer. But doing this the signal is weak and jitters... I'm going to get mad!!.
-Have you tested yours?
parasole
Sun Dec 13 2015, 07:02PM
Since you use 4046, I would add an comparator for duty cycle adjustment, then one more invertor for having 180 degree bridge signals...
Another option would be wiring few logic elements and introduce dead time... Do some google search, there are plenty of examples how to do this...

I don't know when I will test my drivers, still to busy... From other side I would not have this issue since I am intending to use controller and will have full control over my driving signals...
Ramonn
Wed Dec 16 2015, 12:40PM
Ok, thanks for advises, and good luck in your project. If you get succes in that controller, will share it? As I understand, the 4046 PLL never has a good or total apliance for our DIY induction heaters, just getting bigger our boxes of blown transistors sad
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: