Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
05/09 AmonRa (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Outsourcing PCB production

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Tue May 19 2015, 03:05AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I'm at a point where I'm considering having a company make my circuit board and populate it with components. I would make the housing for it. I know some have done this here. Does anyone have a company they can recommend so I can call and get prices/info?

Thanks
Alex Yuan
Wed May 20 2015, 04:03AM
Alex  Yuan Registered Member #9614 Joined: Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:00PM
If you don't mind the wait then go for Seeedstudio. I ordered 10 UD2.5 boards and I got 13 at ~$3.30 each. Takes about 30 days?
Link2

If you can't wait then OshPark does 2 layer boards at $5 per square inch and you get 3 boards.
Link2
mister_rf
Wed May 20 2015, 07:39AM
mister_rf Registered Member #4465 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:37AM
My personal experience is related to the ELECROW
Link2

I have placed there few orders for the PCB prototype production. Good communication and very good quality IMO.

They promote also different type of services, including PCB Assembly services, to get the full service from components sourcing, soldering and testing, but I have never tested that service for my own small experiments. shades
Dr. Slack
Wed May 20 2015, 09:50AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
If you just want a few bare test PCBs to assemble yourself, prior to outsourcing the complete assembly, then dirtypcbs.com has an interesting business model. You get 'approximately 10' 4x4 DS PTH boards for $25. if you want exactly 10 it costs twice as much, as they leech capacity from the edges of big jobs run by other PCB manufacturers.
Wolfram
Wed May 20 2015, 12:56PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

If you just want a few bare test PCBs to assemble yourself, prior to outsourcing the complete assembly, then dirtypcs.com has an interesting business model. You get 'approximately 10' 4x4 DS PTH boards for $25. if you want exactly 10 it costs twice as much, as they leech capacity from the edges of big jobs run by other PCB manufacturers.

I've just started using these guys, and the quality is on the same level as my previous supplier, Iteadstudio, surprisingly good considering the price. I've attached a picture showing what a board from dirtypcbs.com looks like. The slightly small via annular ring is my fault, as I managed to send them gerbers without a drill file. They somehow still managed to drill it, so I won't criticise them for using a slightly large drill for the vias. The board is marked as electrically tested, so it should be fine even if it looks a bit tight.

mikeselectricstuff
Thu May 21 2015, 06:51PM
mikeselectricstuff Registered Member #311 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:28PM
You need to provide a bit more info - volumes, your location, type of board (SM/TH), complexity etc. to get a meaningful answer
Carbon_Rod
Fri May 22 2015, 05:53AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Oshpark is around 30 days sometimes.
The boards are fine for 0.5mm pitch parts, but they simply fail to mill out areas too small for the route-out bit. Thus, I'd recommend someone else if you have surface mount parts mixed with mechanical though-hole tabbed components.
frown
IamSmooth
Sun May 24 2015, 02:09AM
mikeselectricstuff wrote ...

You need to provide a bit more info - volumes, your location, type of board (SM/TH), complexity etc. to get a meaningful answer

I would try a run of 25 boards
Two-sided with vias
A mix of surface mount (resistors and caps) and IC sockets and a few other thru-hole components.
Each board is about 1" x 3"
IamSmooth
Tue May 26 2015, 02:20AM
Looks like my PCB Wizard program does not do Gerber files. I'll need that with any of these production facilities. How good is Eagle? It seems pricey for my limited use. I went to the company site and it looks like I have to pay a subscription fee. Is that correct?

Any other programs for PCB design?
Tue May 26 2015, 04:12AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would recomend KiCad Link2

Make sure you are using one of the more recent releases, it has seen rapid growth over the last few years and the most recent version is really a decent piece of software which IMHO surpasses the paid version of eagle.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: