All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTCs around the World

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Wed May 06 2015, 06:41AM Print
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Hello everyone! Here's graphic I made for fun not too long ago with some of the more well-known coils around this forum, along with some I built.
I was just curious to see how different coils compared to each other and this turned out to be a pretty fun exercise to draw.

I'm focusing on big DRSSTCs only since there are a LOT of big Spark Gaps, but by popular demand I've also added some of the most famous spark gap coils. Since there are a lot of smaller DR coils, all the coils here achieve at least a 2m spark length.

*Update* - More coils added! Let me know if you have a big DRSSTC and would like to me added!

DRSSTCs around the World
Tcworld3
(.. ongoing updates!)

Background Light Blue - The venerable TTR 13M Magnifier
Background Grey - Largest coil in the world today - Electrum

I wanted to add Wardenclyff but it is.. an order of magnitude larger, standing at 57m tall and would completely not fit! The dotted line is 2m height.

Notably, Steve Ward's / Arc Attack's Titan DRSSTCs are now the largest DRSSTCs in the world. In Russia, it seems like Zilipoper's 'mushroom' DRSSTC magnifier Link2 stands as the largest at 4m tall. I think this really puts into perspective how large the 13M is. Some of the coils I've made myself include the left-most one (DRSSTC 3 Link2 ), followed by my Model 82 coil (Red) Link2 and then my Model 81 coil (burgundy).

I tried as best as I could to make these to-scale, so they might be a bit off, but I tried to get the main dimensions as right as I could based on published data as far as possible :)

Thought that you all might be interested to see these coils all together. The person pictured is sized to be 175cm tall. The coils are arranged by total height, not secondary size nor spark length ;).

Any guesses who made each of the coils? amazed
Finn Hammer
Wed May 06 2015, 01:28PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Not Me. Thumper, the mother of all phase lead controllers, seems to be missing frown
1275858866 205 FT6000 Thumper
Cheers, Finn Hammer
zrg
Wed May 06 2015, 03:22PM
zrg Registered Member #4762 Joined: Sun May 06 2012, 05:59PM
Silantor's topload doesn't look what it really is like smile

Mazuoki0
loneoceans
Wed May 06 2015, 03:57PM
Ha thanks guys. Can't promise to include all the coils but I'll continue updating this to try to cover most of the big and famous coils :)

Finn - this one I need to apologize for; I knew I was missing something big and wonderful. :P
Did you ever post photos or videos of it in action?

Zrg - yep when I first made this infographic you had not yet finished the spiral toroid:
1406899376 4762 FT165062 Img 1026
so the one in the picture is your original ducting one. shades I'll change it.

Keep them coming!
zrg
Wed May 06 2015, 08:19PM
zrg Registered Member #4762 Joined: Sun May 06 2012, 05:59PM
Another small correction (which will make our coil look even bigger than shown there, yes I'm quite conceived with that wink): topload is lifted ~50 cm above the secondary top to make streamers bigger:
Ly9kEq9

It would be even cooler to include noticeable SGTCs there too (like Project 13, Electrum and oh yeah Wandercliff)
nzoomed
Thu May 07 2015, 12:02AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
When i have my coil finished i will add it here!
All the way from New Zealand, i dont believe there are many DRSSTC's in NZ currently.
Mads Barnkob
Thu May 07 2015, 06:02AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
loneoceans, Finn and zrg

I have resized your pictures to the allowed maximum 600px width. Please refer to the site rules for posting: Link2

If you are linking to remote hosted pictures, it is nescesary to use the following addition to the img tag.

[img width=600]

If the pictures are attached through the upload form when posting, this is not a problem, the forum will automatically show a thumbnail with link to full sized picture.
loneoceans
Thu May 07 2015, 08:16PM
[quote]
loneoceans, Finn and zrg

I have resized your pictures to the allowed maximum 600px width. Please refer to the site rules for posting: Link2

If you are linking to remote hosted pictures, it is nescesary to use the following addition to the img tag.

[img width=600]

If the pictures are attached through the upload form when posting, this is not a problem, the forum will automatically show a thumbnail with link to full sized picture.
[/quote1431029652]

Thanks for the reminder, will keep this in mind :)

Meanwhile, more coils added. As of now the biggest known spark record for a DRSSTC is 26 feet at 37kW, narrowly beating out Gigantor, but will the new big twins break the record again? To Zrg, actually I had done one with the big spark gap coils but it was difficult for me to decide which to include. I think I'll make a new list and post them later this week. :)
Goodchild
Fri May 08 2015, 06:33AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
I want to say mine is in there in the middle in blue and Dr. Spark's FatBoy in light green, thumper in orange, Steve's wards massive coil on the far right.
loneoceans
Fri May 08 2015, 04:19PM
Goodchild wrote ...

I want to say mine is in there in the middle in blue and Dr. Spark's FatBoy in light green, thumper in orange, Steve's wards massive coil on the far right.

That's correct! Your nice 7 foot coils is the dark blue one.

I recently (only just completed!) made a pair of coils which I thought felt quite substantial, but putting them in perspective with all the coils out there really makes it look really small. angry This coil is the small red one on the left.

17199691548 0d00c2f612
(see the build thread here: Link2
Anyone wants to guess the rest of the coils? :)

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: