All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Laser Mounting Fun

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Thu Oct 12 2006, 06:15AM Print
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well I was on ebay last week and found an opportunity to get >1kw of 808nm pump diodes (for pumping Nd:YAG for a high quality 1064nm beam, or possible a block of KTP or some other non linear optic for 532nm green)--in bare chip form.

So I managed to convince McFluffin go 30/70 hoping to sell most of them back off as bare dies (at the current going rates that would be ~$7k in profit) but we (well I) plan to mount somewhere between 1 and 20 of them and possibly pump a frankenstein ssy-1 laser for some colminated (abit not tem00) 1064nm beams.

In any case, to sell the dies individually I needed gel-paks, and since my dad works at a laser manufacture he has tons of them, with one catch---they already have 10 year old laser dies in them tongue So he brought home ~100 lasers that have power from 10-40mw at 1550-800nm (no idea where, they aren't marked with anything that makes sense) and a bunch of very high speed photo diodes.

So I decided to practice mounting some diodes to prepare for the bars...

Note--This is the things I did correctly, I resanded the copper block at least 10 times over the course of the afternoon after I screwed up. About 5 hours of work went into it, I bet I could fo it again in 30 minutes. We shall see tomorrow.

I started by smashing a to-220 fet to remove the plastic, then hacksawed the copper substrate off at the bottom of the hole. Then I filed it down to be about the right shape. Then I sanded the edges with 120grit paper (just eyeballing the shape). Then used 320->2/0->5mil lapping film on the faces.

Then I put a dab of solder on it, and soldered a piece of .030" pcb stock on it (to give me a place to put the wire to the cathode of the die).

Then the fun part, I heated the whole mess up to ~130C, touched it with my flux pen, and started tinning. After I got a good tin I wiped 90% of the solder off, leaving a thin layer.

Then on goes a die...

And then the wire to the cathode...

And then turn of the hotplate, and rinse with IPA (very well, don't want any flux on that diode)

Sorry no pics of the assembly process, but I didn't have my microscope cam set up, nor did I have my capture card in the right computer.

Add 2v/100ma and viola, 30mw of IR light :)
1160633175 56 FT0 Frontlight 1160633175 56 FT0 100ma
running at low power and high power
1160633175 56 FT0 Bright 1160633175 56 FT0 Lab1

loking strait into the diode and area where I was working angry Can anyone figure out where the laser is in the last pic?

I will be posting often as things progress. I don't think this should go in the project thread as I am expecting comments/discussion and there is not a definant end to the project (yet)
Thu Oct 19 2006, 05:32AM
Well the dies finally came shades

23 ~20w bars, and 18 ~50w ones suprised

There were also ~20 copper mounts to solder them down to, and parts of a different mount (but I have found a way to modify them to work together without looking too much like it was built by a 16 y/old)

I am now almost ready to take over the world MUHAHAHAHA

1161235864 56 FT17055 Img 1852

1161235864 56 FT17055 Img 1854 1161235864 56 FT17055 Img 1869

Oh, and a full week and no responses... What is with you guys! No more pics until someone says something...
EEYORE
Thu Oct 19 2006, 05:40AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Neato!Are these bare laser diode chips we are talking?if so, kudos to you!Not an easy thing to do...Ive always wanted to try, but prohibitive costs of laser parts and lack of steady hands kept me from doing so...

Make sure to post some pcs of it lasing!20w ought to be nice...
Matt
Electroholic
Thu Oct 19 2006, 06:03AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
i thought dies are real sensitive to air/h2o?
Steve Conner
Thu Oct 19 2006, 12:15PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
We're all too scared to post in case you burn both your eyes out and your dad sues us. wink
Thu Oct 19 2006, 02:38PM
I have the correct googles, and will be doing most of the experiments under a video camera becuase it is too small to see with the naked eye and that whole problem of it being invisable.

I should point out now that these bars won't give a 'real' laser beam, it is actually going to look like a flat line that is made up from a bunch of small spots from each of the emitters in the bar.

That is why I hope use some of them to pump a Nd:YAG rod, as that will result in a decent single mode beam that can at least be focused down to a single spot. I have most of the parts to do this, except the 99% reflectance 1064nm mirror to use as the output coupler. I will try with another ~100% mirror first to at least prove that it is lasing, but I can't get very much power out of it that way.

Ideally I would use a l-fold cavity and have a block of KTP to double for a few wats of green, but that will require acess to a mill to mount everything. frown

The dies are slightly hydroscopic, however for short term that are fine out in the air. So long as you store them with a dessicant they will be fine.

BTW, those chips are HUGE compared to what I was mounting. One of those bars is a block of ~100 of the size bars I mounted the first time.
EEYORE
Thu Oct 19 2006, 10:08PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
... wrote ...

I have the correct googles, and will be doing most of the experiments under a video camera becuase it is too small to see with the naked eye and that whole problem of it being invisable.

I should point out now that these bars won't give a 'real' laser beam, it is actually going to look like a flat line that is made up from a bunch of small spots from each of the emitters in the bar.

That is why I hope use some of them to pump a Nd:YAG rod, as that will result in a decent single mode beam that can at least be focused down to a single spot. I have most of the parts to do this, except the 99% reflectance 1064nm mirror to use as the output coupler. I will try with another ~100% mirror first to at least prove that it is lasing, but I can't get very much power out of it that way.

Ideally I would use a l-fold cavity and have a block of KTP to double for a few wats of green, but that will require acess to a mill to mount everything. frown

The dies are slightly hydroscopic, however for short term that are fine out in the air. So long as you store them with a dessicant they will be fine.

BTW, those chips are HUGE compared to what I was mounting. One of those bars is a block of ~100 of the size bars I mounted the first time.
Also those bars will need to be colimated before they become dangerous, unless you go putting your eyeball right up to one wink

Check ebay for the mirrors, also try Meredith Lasers( they sell this sorta stuff). If you can find a SSY-1 laser head, you may just need to modify it some for the diode bar pumping, but they usually run $$$, i once got one for 75$ on ebay, so keep looking...

Keep us posted,
Matt
Thu Oct 19 2006, 10:17PM
My current plan is to use a ssy-1 (I have 3 as of now), but as it is the OC has way to low of a reflectance for me to be able to get it to lase as is, so I will need to get a correct one. For testing I can replace the OC with another HR, but that won't let very much light out being like 99.99% reflectance wink

I have been watching ebay extreenly carefully, but have not found what I am looking for. The problem is that what I need is not a very common optic, as most HR's are designed for flashlamp pumping and thus have a low reflectance, while I need a moderatly high (~99%) one. I have been e-mailing many different suppliers and have yet to find a sutable optic.

I will also need to find a way to cool the rod, as with ~150w going in it will need some pretty massive coolling angry

I hope to have first light on friday
SpyrosF
Thu Oct 19 2006, 11:15PM
SpyrosF Registered Member #352 Joined: Tue Mar 28 2006, 08:39AM
CASIX has OC's up to 98%
Link2
Fri Oct 20 2006, 12:50AM
I have e-mailed casix directly with no response, however if anyone knows a distributer that will sell me a NDO0101-1064nm-98% in single unit quantities I am all ears (although I will admit that I have been swamped with homework and have not really been looking all that hard)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: