Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

TV remote hacking

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun Sept 14 2014, 05:38PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all.
Has anyone managed to hack together a remote for their TV or digibox so that the existing R/C for the TV can turn on the digibox and the channel up/down buttons also change the digibox channels?

Seems simple enough, a simple infrared receiver with a retransmitter containing the correct stored codes.

Its a Teknique T181 and apparently the Synergy V remotes work on these with the code 576..

-A
hen918
Sun Sept 14 2014, 08:05PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Sounds like a bit of a faff; wouldn't it be better to make (or buy) a new remote to do both?

Henry
Conundrum
Tue Sept 16 2014, 06:33AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Would be but I have lots of them :)
Also have two TVOnics MDR-240
Hon1nbo
Sun Sept 28 2014, 05:30PM
Hon1nbo Registered Member #902 Joined: Sun Jul 15 2007, 08:17PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Would be but I have lots of them :)
Also have two TVOnics MDR-240

when you say you have lots of them, do you mean lots of them as in devices to control with the one TV remote?

I guess it is possible to build an Infrared Man in the Middle device, but the question becomes is it worth while as compared to a traditional learning universal remote that can be had for a decent price?
In my opinion, I think this is an awesome idea if you could build a system that could handle a lot of devices without requiring the universal remote (even if it is just for the hell of it rather than economics).

My thought would be to have a central board to do the conversions for all the devices, maybe something like a Raspberry Pi or a Beaglebone, heck an arduino might do it but might be harder to update (and the Pi could even have a network remote option :)
And using the central device's GPIO pins, accept an incoming IR signal from the desired remote(s), and use an IR blaster with a blocking filter on the oposing side to make sure the original remote commands do not interfere.
I'm a bit fuzzy on my remote code programming at the Infrared level, but you might need to drive the GPIO pins of such as device at a faster rate than the magic filesystem bit flipping can tolerate, and either use assembly with GPIO controller's memory address, or use a Beaglebone where there is a library for programming the onboard Real Time Processors. An Arduino acts as an excellent real time gpio device if you can optimize it.

OF course, you would also have to learn all the IR codes. I know that manuals for universal remotes have the "codes" for various manufacturer's devices in the back, but I never knew if this was some kind of standard or proprietary format. If you really want to have fun, build the device to purely store the codes first then reverse engineer them to see if there is any underlying operation rather than just a dumb code :)

Cheers,

-Jim
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 28 2014, 06:41PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
HDMI CEC is intended to do exactly this. Not sure how well it works between different manufacturers' devices though.

I just finished programming my Raspberry Pi audio player to accept commands from my TV remote over CEC. The TV only seems to pass through about half of the buttons. The channel and volume buttons still act on the TV by default. Might be an option to change this somewhere though.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: