Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

UD-2.5 - Documentation and help needed

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Vitalii
Mon Sept 08 2014, 01:03AM Print
Vitalii Registered Member #46012 Joined: Thu May 01 2014, 12:54AM
Hi!
I finished build UD 2.5B board two days ago. But have no idea how to start use it. I feel lack of documentations for people like me (I spent only one day to build it but it's my first experience wirh DRSSTC and with UD 2.x drivers).
already have expirience with sstc and tube coils.
I have 2ch oscilloscope, multimeter and regulated power adapter 5-35V and fixed voltage 60 and 120 V (500W) power supply.
Also I have gate from this schema DRSSTC3.

Can you kindly assist me to start as safe as possible (don't damage components of UD 2.5) and give advice (or maybe there's a checklist) how to check that UD 2.5 assembled fine?

And. Really. How to connect all this stuff together?
I have no idea how and where all ports on UD 2.5 should be connected?
Cade Brinkley
Mon Sept 08 2014, 01:47AM
Cade Brinkley Registered Member #40731 Joined: Wed Nov 20 2013, 01:02AM
So, here's a response from a brand new drsstc-er:

I am sure that there are more experienced out there, but here's my experience as a newbie with the UD 2.5b.

My test setup is a function generator (sine) set to my resonate frequency going into the feedback leads and my scope on the GDT1 leads. I use an 18v transformer connected to a powerstrip for easy on/off.

You could probably use a 555 circuit in place of a function generator if need be.

I flip on the power, then the interrupter, then the simulated feedback. When I first flip it on, the overcurrent and power lights both come on, then when the interrupter is flipped on, the signal light comes on and the overcurrent goes off.

I check to make sure that there is a square wave coming out and that the interrupter is limiting those pulses well.

I have gotten sparks from my system using a board that passed these tests.

And here's the blunders and learning experiences:

First off, it took me a bit to figure out the phase and sv1 pins, there are jumpers that go across those. Pictures of that configuration can be found on the UD 2.5b 4hv post. Also, if you short the gdt leads with an oscilloscope probe, the 24v reg will fly across the room.

I hope I've explained this well, hopefully you can learn from my mistakes and save some component cost:)

Anyone who's more experienced than me (most of you) feel free to correct anything if I'm wrong, I'll learn too:)

Vitalii
Mon Sept 08 2014, 11:45AM
You could probably use a 555 circuit in place of a function generator if need be.
>> already made interrupter with 3 ne555 elements. so I can use it as OSD

ok. so as I understand i should:
1. connect square wave henerator running on smth like 700kHz (like my tesla coil) to OCD-CT
2. connect 1ch of oscilloscope to GDT1 and 2ch of oscilloscope to GDT2 (should I connect outputs to GDT on this step?)
3. connect interrupter: - here's a problem because I installed only RX2 (IFD50 optic input) but I have no optical cable and optical TX on my interrupter (which model I should install?). How can I connect interrupter with wires?
4. connect power.
5. the overcurrent and power lights both come on, then when the interrupter is flipped on, the signal light comes on and the overcurrent goes off

What should I see on oscilloscope?

here's a list of additional questions:
1. how shuld I set SV jumper (I didn't install L1)?
2. how many volts it wait on FB-CT (overcurrent protection)?
3. how many volts it wait on OCD-CT?
4. in wich position should I set PHASE jumpers (I use half bridge from Steve's DRSSTC-3)
5. how should I wire GDT? Do I need only GDT1 output? (btw, what is the purpose of GDT2 output? usually people connect one driver output to GDT and 4 output windings from GDT go to the full bridge)
6. what should I see on oscilloscope?
7. Can I use half dridge from Steve's DRSSTC-3 for this setup?

Can I draw document or schema (or maybe it exists somewhere) that explains how to wire UD driver with other Tesla hardware?
I know electronics well, but it's my first DRSSTC and I may make mistake in basic things. thanks for help!!!
Vitalii
Wed Sept 10 2014, 02:32PM
It's alive!!!
IMG 20140910 035010
IMG 20140910 035028
IMG 20140910 035001

Fidback triggered with functional generator.
Interrupter triggered with marker lamp (planed to use fiber channel in future, but RF-receiver work with any red light, ha-ha).

So it works!

Most of questions from my previous post now solved.
except one:

Can I use a halfbridge from DRSSTC3????
Steve Conner
Wed Sept 10 2014, 03:06PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
You can use the UD with any sort of bridge, full or half.
Vitalii
Mon Sept 15 2014, 02:30PM
Ok. I build transformers for OCD-CT and FB-CT.

How many volts shoud they receive in normal mode (ad how many volts trigger the protection??)
loneoceans
Mon Sept 15 2014, 04:50PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
>here's a list of additional questions:
>1. how shuld I set SV jumper (I didn't install L1)?
With no L1 installed, jumper pins 1 and 2 (top two).

>2. how many volts it wait on FB-CT (overcurrent protection)?
About 1A is fine. Feedback doesn't provide overcurrent, the OCD feedback does. If you expect 1000A, a 1000:1 current transformer will be fine.

>3. how many volts it wait on OCD-CT?
People usually make another transformer same as the FB-CT for OCD.

>4. in wich position should I set PHASE jumpers (I use half bridge from Steve's DRSSTC-3)
If your coil doesn't oscillate, switch the phase.

>5. how should I wire GDT? Do I need only GDT1 output? (btw, what is the purpose of GDT2 output? usually people connect one driver output to GDT and 4 output windings from GDT go to the full bridge)
You only need one GDT output. The purpose of the second output is for increased power capability (can be wired in parallel), or driving a second half of the bridge in a full bridge. You can ignore the other output if you're not using it.

>6. what should I see on oscilloscope?
Depends on what you measure.

>7. Can I use half dridge from Steve's DRSSTC-3 for this setup?
Yes you can use any sort of bridge, half, full, double, etc.

>Can I draw document or schema (or maybe it exists somewhere) that explains how to wire UD driver with other Tesla hardware?
>I know electronics well, but it's my first DRSSTC and I may make mistake in basic things. thanks for help!!!
I'm working on documentation for the UD so I'll be sure to post it when I'm done. However, I urge you to study the schematic a bit more. Building a DRSSTC is not a trivial task, and if you're using a UD2 you should be familiar enough with the basic workings of solid state coils to debug it yourself effectively. A good way to start is to build a normal SSTC first with basic antenna or secondary feedback. Good luck!
Vitalii
Wed Sept 17 2014, 09:07AM
IMG 20140916 235020
Yelow - UD2.5 output
Blue - half bridge output.

>>>2. how many volts it wait on FB-CT (overcurrent protection)?
>About 1A is fine. Feedback doesn't provide overcurrent, the OCD feedback does. If you expect 1000A, a 1000:1 current transformer will be fine.

What's the purpose of FB-CT??

Ok. Now I use half-dridge from this schema (2x IRFP260):
miniSSTC

How should I wind my FB and OCD transformers?
chris_inkubate
Wed Sept 17 2014, 06:42PM
chris_inkubate Registered Member #46007 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:02PM
Vitalii wrote ...

[
Blue - half bridge output.

>>>2. how many volts it wait on FB-CT (overcurrent protection)?
>About 1A is fine. Feedback doesn't provide overcurrent, the OCD feedback does. If you expect 1000A, a 1000:1 current transformer will be fine.

What's the purpose of FB-CT??

Ok. Now I use half-dridge from this schema (2x IRFP260):
miniSSTC

How should I wind my FB and OCD transformers?

Hi there,
Your FB-CT provides the feedback signal which will drive your coil at the resonant frequency of your primary circuit. http://www.stevehv.4hv.org/drsstc_design.htm This link is a slightly different circuit but the basics of operation are similar certainly in terms of the feedback mechanism and OCD. Here is a good video on winding your CT's : http://youtu.be/HFVR12E2Mek

Also are you building a DRSSTC? That half bridge you linked to is for an SSTC. You may already know but a DRSSTC has a tank capacitor and operates in interrupted mode so only a low duty cycle because the primary tank cap and coil is resonant. An SSTC doesn't have a resonant primary so can operate continuously and has to derive feedback from an antenna or secondary feedback. I wouldn't use MOSFET's for a DRSSTC unless its very low powered (not sure if anyone uses them?) IGBT's are better and TO247 IGBT's are cheap.

Chris
Vitalii
Sun Sept 21 2014, 08:55PM
Hi!
I made 1:1000 transformer exactly as it was described on Link2

But my cerquit doesn't oscilate with it. I tryed to change phase. but no.

In the same cerquit with 1:48 transformer it works fine.

Can it be caused by low power voltage (I make all tests with 16V power supply on my mosfet half-bridge)?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: