Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Etching Tank, H2O2 + HCl, (Ant Farm Type).

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Sat Aug 23 2014, 01:26AM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
my etching tank... For my prototypes, and rapid fabs which arnt worth sending out, id like to make these in my home. ive done this for many years with HCl+H2O2 or Ferric chloride, since about 1997. ive abandoned ferric chloride in the past few years without regret, as its so temperature and solution sensitive.

1408757186 2431 FT0 Antfarmtank
my tank, 40 cubic inches, acrylic. Ill be putting a aquarium thermometer sticky on the side.

1408757631 2431 FT1630 Ant2
I should be able to etch a 5 by 9 inch board easy.

1408806917 2431 FT1630 A
this is about the hiehgt i want for a "tilt and slosh" safety factor.

1408806917 2431 FT1630 B
leak catching safety tote.

1408806917 2431 FT1630 C
I may investigate the use of hair salon H2O2 at 30% instead of common 3%.

Signification
Sun Feb 08 2015, 03:28AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I *LOVE* this idea...a clear vertical etching tank! I wish I had known about this years ago. I -homemade- PC boards for all my prototypes and used a darkroom tray and that radio shack ferric chloride. Please give more details about your HCL+H2O2 mixture and where to get it all.
Patrick
Sun Feb 08 2015, 04:07AM
its peroxide with HCl, but really 3% isnt good enough. I think 30% is too strong. And id make sure you had .75 inch wide, my at .3 was to narrow, and it stuck to the walls.
Signification
Sun Feb 08 2015, 04:54AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Is the chemical you are referring to ( 3%, 30% ) the H2O2?
Patrick
Mon Feb 09 2015, 03:47AM
3% Hydrogen peroxide from drug store.
30% from Hair salon.

Dont kill your self, and look up this reaction several places online for details.

Its better but more dangerous than ferric chloride. but watch the mythbuster "pig in bath tub' episode for getting rid of bodies mafia style. (h2so4 + h2o2)
Hydron
Mon Feb 09 2015, 01:21PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
I've used ammonium persulfate in the past with good results. Must be heated though, otherwise it takes forever. It's also clear, unlike ferric chloride (turns transparent blue with use - I think it forms copper sulfate).
Mads Barnkob
Mon Feb 09 2015, 02:13PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I have for a while been looking for a tank for vertical etching, I just want to be able to buy one that was made for a entirely different purpose, maybe IKEA got something.

I will continue to only use FeCl, since I only have to watch out for discoloring, I would however add a air bubbler, does that bring little value when using those more potent acids?
Shrad
Mon Feb 09 2015, 02:28PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
30Mol H2O2 is perfect but your etch-fu has to be good

I use 50/50 HCl and H202 both 30Mol (secret arangement with my local pharmacy which agreed to act as an intermediate for buying a couple chemicals)

50/50 because the water percentage in both completes the mix adequately for a good reactivity (for my taste)

wear gloves especially designed for organic chemistry if you handle it like I do : grab the board with pliers and agitate till it is etched

I do it in a pyrex jar (very exothermic) and have a NaOH solution handy for any accident (usually my developing solution which sits near the rest)

once a couple boards have been done the solution becomes greener and greener and will lose efficiency due to lack of oxygen available for the oxidizing reaction, but usually agitating a board keeps the solution oxygenated and it is sufficient to keep the reaction catalyzed...

you can keep the used product and rejuvenate it with a small quantity of H2O2 which will reactivate the solution with your physical agitation
Dédé!
Mon Feb 09 2015, 06:02PM
Dédé! Registered Member #4932 Joined: Thu May 17 2012, 01:42PM
I use a mixture of 6%H2O2 and 10%Hcl (m/v). That's a combination of 1 part 12%H2O2 and 1 part 20%HCl mixed together. I found that this is the perfect combination for etching. I buy the H2O2 in bottles of 30% and the HCl in jerrycans of 30% and dilute it to the percentages given above. If I need to add some more HCl and/or H2O2 I add undiluted quantities of the chemicals.

Its better but more dangerous than ferric chloride. but watch the mythbuster "pig in bath tub' episode for getting rid of bodies mafia style.
That Breaking Bad episode was cool, but if I would want to dissolve a body, I wouldn't use Piranha solution, I would use a hot saturated solution of Potassium hydroxide.
Patrick
Mon Feb 09 2015, 08:39PM
Actually forget what i said about the mafia, they'd just throw someone in with cement shoes in the water.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: