All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

question regarding DC link inductors for ZVS circuit

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Aug 16 2012, 08:13PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I picked these ferrites up at a hamfest at the weekend.

1345148009 3414 FT0 Dscf0658

I've read (I think) that you want yellow/green ferrites for the current limiting inductor for the Mazilli ZVS circuit.

These measure 1 1/16" OD, 9/16" ID and 7/16" thick.

Are these suitable cores for the inductor for the ZVS circuit, and if so, how many turns of wire should I use?

EDIT: These are, fom what I can gather, T106-40, T106 being the dimension spec (26.9±0.5 mm OD, 14.5±0.5 mm ID, 11.1±0.64 mm Thick), 40 being the material, AL(nH/N²) 81, Permeability (ui) 60, .
Forty
Fri Aug 17 2012, 05:58PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I thought powdered iron was the way to go because of its frequency range and higher saturation point
Harry
Fri Aug 17 2012, 06:37PM
Harry Registered Member #4081 Joined: Wed Aug 31 2011, 06:40PM
Pretty much all toroids work, the better ones just don't get so hot cheesey
As for the turns there is no specific number, just choose a wire size that can handle 12 - 15 amps and start winding
Steve Conner
Fri Aug 17 2012, 07:06PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The inductance in the ZVS isn't really critical, it just needs to be "big enough" to smooth out the current.

A reasonable design process would be to pick a wire gauge that can barely handle the current you intend to run, and cram on as many turns as will fit on your core. If the inductance is too small, try stacking a bunch of cores.

Iron powder is the right thing to use. Ferrite toroids are not recommended, they saturate too easily with DC current. However, what you have there is a low permeability RF grade of ferrite, not the usual power electronic stuff, which has a permeability of about 2000. At low frequencies it may behave more like iron powder than ferrite.
Ash Small
Fri Aug 17 2012, 07:43PM
Forty wrote ...

I thought powdered iron was the way to go because of its frequency range and higher saturation point

That's what I thought, but I'm sure a couple of people have posted on here that you should look for green/yellow toroids in ATX power supplies, so when I saw some at a hamfest I grabbed a handful.

Harry wrote ...

Pretty much all toroids work, the better ones just don't get so hot cheesey
As for the turns there is no specific number, just choose a wire size that can handle 12 - 15 amps and start winding

I assume I don't want it to saturate, so should I double up or 'treble up' on the cores? (I have plenty of them, and I assume more 'ferrite' = less heating)

I've read I want between 47 and 200 ?Henries (I'll have to check the units (micro or milli)), but there does seem to be a lack of infomation on the 'net regarding exact specs for the inductor.

EDIT: Thanks for the input, Steve, I was composing my reply and missed your post.
Harry
Fri Aug 17 2012, 08:40PM
lack of infomation on the 'net regarding exact specs for the inductor

That's because pretty much every thing will work. I had a yellow toroid with only 6 turns on it and it still worked. I have also used a RFI suppression ring from a home cinema SMPS wound with 15 turns of standard 0.75mm wiring.
Here is a video which shows what I mean: Link2
Apparently using a higher inductance means higher voltage, but I can't really see any difference.

I used my ZVS for induction heating once without an inductor, it drew more current but still survived.
Ash Small
Fri Aug 17 2012, 09:08PM
Harry wrote ...

lack of infomation on the 'net regarding exact specs for the inductor

That's because pretty much every thing will work.

But people do say to avoid the usual ferrites that we use for HF power circuits. (as Forty and Steve have pointed out).

I picked these toroidal transformers up at the hamfest for a few quid each, which I assume have powdered iron cores, but they'd be a bit 'overkill' for this application. I'll probably use the cores for Hf chokes, though. I used a HUGE one (much bigger than these) as part of the choke curcuit in my HF TIG welder. smile

1345237801 3414 FT1630 Dscf0681
Harry
Fri Aug 17 2012, 09:31PM
Yes that would be just a tad overkill! What voltage do they kick out? They might be good for powering your ZVS.I use a 30V 600VA transformer, and control it with a dimmer switch, which works surprisingly well though it probably isn't too good for the dimmer, controlling a large inductive load and such.
So to sum up you can use most inductors for the ZVS, there are good inductors and bad inductors, which heat up.
As Steve said, just cram as many turns of adequately rated wire onto it and see what happens smile
Ash Small
Fri Aug 17 2012, 09:53PM
Harry wrote ...

Yes that would be just a tad overkill! What voltage do they kick out? They might be good for powering your ZVS.

They have two secondaries, each putting out 15 volts, which could be wired in series to give 30 volts.

Unfortunately, they only put out 3 amps (according to the vendor), so, even if I connected both secondaries in series, and both transformers in parallel, I'd only get 30V @ 6A, not really enough for a Mazilli ZVS. (Maybe I should have bought a few more sad )
Harry
Fri Aug 17 2012, 10:30PM
It does demand a lot of power, I blew the thermal fuse on my transformer after 10 minutes of arcing. Thankfully the fuse was on the outside of the primary so I could bypass it; some transformers have one that is near impossible to get to without unwinding most of it.
But if you put the 15V secondaries in parallel for 12A, then rectify for 20V after diode drop and such, that is pretty good. you could then series in another power supply, like a computer PSU for 32V, or a drill battery for 40V when it's full charged.
Get on Freecycle and see if there are any audio amps or stereos, that's where I got my transformer, from a big ass subwoofer smile
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: