All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Little coilgun, big cap..

Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Thu Jul 20 2006, 12:42PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
I made a quickie coil of 46 turns of heavy wire. I used a polypropylene barrel and a 33g iron projectile. I tried various energies from 500j to 3kj in sequence. Here is the last shot sequence. 2kj gave the most powerful shot and good deformation but not penetration of the can.
The 4 pics show the sequence of the 3kj shot.
1 the coil close up
2 the setup for a vertical shot with a can over the aperture.
3 my coil firing at 3kj with the coil exploding. The projectile did not come out of the coil with the last shot, presumably sucked back
4 the remains of the coil.

Peter
1153399350 10 FT0 Pulsecapscoilgunpredetail

1153399350 10 FT0 Pulsecapscoilgunpre

1153399350 10 FT0 Pulsecapscoilgunfire

1153399350 10 FT0 Pulsecapscoilgunpost
Electroholic
Thu Jul 20 2006, 06:36PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
probably crushed on the 3kj shot. epoxy it, and play with the starting position.
Tesladownunder
Thu Jul 20 2006, 09:51PM
Electroholic wrote ...

probably crushed on the 3kj shot. epoxy it, and play with the starting position.
The forces on the coil are axial compression and radial expansion leading to coil disruption and inter turn shorting so if that is what you mean by crushed...
Epoxy will help but will tend to shatter and at these energies the leads will just blow off anyway.
Starting position was a few mm into the coil. It seemed OK at 2kJ and there was no coil deformation but moderate heating.
This was not really a serious attempt. To make a 5kJ+ capable coil the wire needs to be a lot larger. I was interested to see what happened with this larger projectile which is probably not suited to the much faster pulse of the 5.5kV of this cap bank. There was noticeable heating of the projectile on the 2kj shot suggesting significant energy going into hysteresis losses/eddy currents. Coil guns are only a few percent efficient anyway.
The 3rd photo above of the exploding coil (I have my Nikon D70S camera back and fixed cheesey ) shows the can streaking upward, hitting the top board and ricocheting backwards. This was not due to the projectile which didn't leave the barrel and was just due to the explosive force from the coil disruption.

Peter
Simon
Fri Jul 21 2006, 02:29AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

Coil guns are only a few percent efficient anyway.
Something tells me this doesn't even make that ranking. That's roughly equivalent to a 300J coilgun firing a 3g projectile (although bigger coilguns are harder to design).

Can you get any estimate of the efficiency?

I like it as an absurd project, though. A coilgun that blows itself up but does not penetrate the can with the projectile.
Quantum Singularity
Fri Jul 21 2006, 02:29AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Tesladownunder wrote ...

This was not really a serious attempt. To make a 5kJ+ capable coil the wire needs to be a lot larger.

What size wire were you using? I would guess you are correct though that youll need some heavier wire. Maybe a tougher barrel to and some good epoxy on a high power shot.

Tesladownunder wrote ...
There was noticeable heating of the projectile on the 2kj shot suggesting significant energy going into hysteresis losses/eddy currents. Coil guns are only a few percent efficient anyway....The 3rd photo above of the exploding coil (I have my Nikon D70S camera back and fixed cheesey ) shows the can streaking upward, hitting the top board and ricocheting backwards. This was not due to the projectile which didn't leave the barrel and was just due to the explosive force from the coil disruption.

What material was the can... if it was aluminum I'd bet it was repulsed do to induction. I think the faster the pulse the more loss you will have due to induction. And I beleive it is much easier to make an induction launcher when your talking about using caps that large with high energy levels. I am not the expert with the ferromangetic launchers but it seems they are more efficient when the pulse is less like a pulse and more continous (like a square wave), the very high peak currents with short pulses that the real energy discharge caps provide seems better suited for IL's instead. Its cool though you got it to actually work with lower energies... did you get any pics of more successful launches?
Tesladownunder
Fri Jul 21 2006, 06:38AM
Simon wrote ...

...Can you get any estimate of the efficiency?
I like it as an absurd project, though. A coilgun that blows itself up but does not penetrate the can with the projectile.
Just the thing for a suicide coilgunner.
The 2kJ shot was enough to bend the can in half (it was supported by one end) but the wide round shape of the projectile didn't penetrate it. I was hoping to do an outside vertical shot to time it but was too enthusiastic about increasing the power.

Quantum Singularity wrote ...

What size wire were you using? ...
What material was the can... if it was aluminum I'd bet it was repulsed do to induction. ... Its cool though you got it to actually work with lower energies... did you get any pics of more successful launches?
Wire is 0.105 inch diameter.
You would have thought that after years of can crushing, ring launching and magneforming I should have realised that. Just a seniors moment.
No photos of successful launches however i may use a coilgun if I do any high speed photo work.

Peter
Marko
Fri Jul 21 2006, 10:37AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
If i'm not missing something you are a bit out of starting position there, with projectile just inside the small coil..? Maybe you could make good repulsion CG that way, just by moving projectile 2-3cm out of coil..

Tesladownunder
Fri Jul 21 2006, 10:55AM
I could pursue this further but I have the pressure of so many projects. Single stage coil guns are a bit dead end any way and I don't feel ready for the complexity of a multistage one.

So at present this is my only functioning coilgun. shades
Hand powered from a telephone generator. This charges a 5400 uF 225 V capacitor to a total of 136 joules. I also had a power pack for times when the arms get sore as it takes a couple of minutes of vigorous winding to charge. Not really fast on the draw. Switching was with two metal contacts. It could just penetrate a cardboard box with an 8 g iron rod.

I will start a railgun thread to discuss a different direction I would rather pursue.

Peter
1153479339 10 FT13294 Coilgun1

1153479339 10 FT13294 Coilgun1 Inside
Steve Conner
Fri Jul 21 2006, 02:33PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The small capacitor size, high voltage, and low number of turns is going to be a lousy match to the heavy projectile. Like you found out, the discharge is on such a short time scale that it mostly rips the coil apart rather than putting momentum into the projectile.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: