Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Diable Tonnere – my latest project.

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Daniel Uhrenholt
Sat May 29 2010, 09:23AM
Daniel Uhrenholt Registered Member #125 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:52PM
Hi all,

It's been a while since my last update, my girlfriend just moved in, so now I'm trying to have a life besides just doing fun projects:-)

First of all there is a battle of who will have first light between Finn and I, but I think it is Finn that gets the credit for that, because I have to move all of my stuff to another city before I can make sparks all day long:-) I live in a small apartment in Aalborg, and the coil takes half of the space in the bedroom...

Here are some pictures of the water cooling for the new H bridge, and the new bus for the capacitors. I wanted water cooling because of bad design from the beginning, as there wasn't enough space for the bridge I had in hand, and it is cool when I can make this kind of things myself:-)

1275124680 125 FT74660 Cooling

1275124680 125 FT74660 Cooling1

1275124680 125 FT74660 Bus

I also had to make myself a new toroid for the coil, so I made a drawing of the rings I needed and went to the local metal college, and had some students make the rings for me. Then I welded the parts together at the University, and had to transport the toroid by bus to get it home:-)

1275124766 125 FT74660 Toroid

1275124766 125 FT74660 Toroid1

1275124766 125 FT74660 Toroid2

1275124766 125 FT74660 Toroid3

And some pictures of the coil as it looks now:

1275124845 125 FT74660 Prim

1275124845 125 FT74660 Prim1

1275124845 125 FT74660 Coil

Another larger project is the motor controllers that I am making for Finn and I. They are build on two Arduino platforms, communicating with ASCII over fiberoptics. The controller box will also have MIDI in it, but I am having some minor problems with the code for that, but I will have it done sometime next week when I get to the University again:-)

1275124889 125 FT74660 Motor Drivers

Now I will go to Hobro to visit Finn and make some stuff on Thumper:-)

Cheers, Daniel
Steve Conner
Sat May 29 2010, 10:16AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
This looks awesome shades

Just one word of warning: In your bus design, you have the current flowing through the bolts. If they're steel, they'll get extremely hot by induction heating.

Ideally the current path should be all copper and brass, but non-magnetic stainless steel will probably be OK.
Dalus
Sun May 30 2010, 09:09AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
Wow your picking up speed. Love the idea of directly cooling the IGBT's with water. Is it going to be a closed loop system? And how are you going to tackle corrosion due to the different metals?
Dr. H.
Sun May 30 2010, 02:59PM
Dr. H. Registered Member #931 Joined: Mon Jul 30 2007, 05:25PM
Great job Daniel smile

and that is one CLEAN workshop you have there.

Cheers.
Daniel Uhrenholt
Sun May 30 2010, 09:06PM
Steve,

Thanks for the comment.

I don't use the bolts at connections between the bus bars, I have some distance pieces made out of brass hidden under the black plastic:-)

Linas,

I also like the idea of direct cooling of the IGBT`s, the idea came to me while I was working on a set-up for a company who makes the power electronics for windmills. I had a look inside the water cooling system on a 4MW windmill:-) They use direct cooling on their power stacks, and I was so lucky to see how it looked under the HUGE IGBT`s Link2

I don't think that corrosion will be that big a deal, most of the parts is made out of brass, I think that I just have to change the water once a year...

I am still loking for radiators and pumps for it, so for first light it probably just the water hose from my parents garden:-)

Huben,

Thanks:-) It has to look clean when you have costumers running around all day there:-)

Cheers, Daniel
Dalus
Mon May 31 2010, 08:52AM
Pst I'm not Linas, if your worried about the corrosion you can use those watercooling liquids that are used in PC cooling systems. Those are designed to minimize any redox reactions between the different metals.
Daniel Uhrenholt
Mon May 31 2010, 09:06AM
Woops, Dalus i`m sorry about that:-)

I`m looking at some cooling systems for computers, that I would like to use for the coil. But the problem for now is the lack of $$ to use on coiling at the moment. This project has taken a lot of my time and money for some while, and I want some kind of vacation this summer with my girlfriend...

Dalus
Mon May 31 2010, 09:55AM
Understandable. I have exactly the same problem I do want to continue my coil but everything is going so slowly. A 20 year old student doesn't earn that much. I'll be glad if I can pay for the MMC this year :S
Finn Hammer
Mon May 31 2010, 09:28PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
Daniel Uhrenholt wrote ...

I had a look inside the water cooling system on a 4MW windmill:-) They use direct cooling on their power stacks, and I was so lucky to see how it looked under the HUGE IGBT`s

There is an article about the Danfoss way of cooling those very IGBT's in the current issue of Power Systems Design:

Link2

Cheers, Finn Hammer
Daniel Uhrenholt
Tue Jun 01 2010, 05:45AM
That fine piece of machined aluminum that we used for the system, is similar to the one seen in the second picture:-)

The university is making a intelligent system for fault detection in the cooling nozzles, this is all about big $$, as there is a lot of money to be saved if they can detect if the nozzles get stopped due to dirt in the system. Burnt IGBT`s in a sea windmill is NOT a cheap thing to replace:-)

Cheers, Daniel
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: