Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Modern AC Flyback Transformers

Move Thread LAN_403
hen918
Sat Sept 27 2014, 05:37PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I know they can use a special bonded ferrite powder that basically means that the "gap" is distributed across the whole core. It means that they can make the "gap" exactly the same size every time. It probably works out cheaper overall as well.
Ash Small
Sat Sept 27 2014, 06:23PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Patrick wrote ...

yeah im not sure if having or getting rid of the gap helps your guys' ZVS type circuits. i mainly use traditional flyback circuits, so for me its essential.

As ashSmall said, we often dont get a choice as there epoxied.

As I understand it, the Mazzilli ZVS circuit is a push-pull, conventional transformer circuit, and therefore doesn't want a gap (there may be exceptions, but I'm not familiar with any, other than possibly to prevent saturation), and traditional 'flyback' circuits are actually 'coupled inductors' (not transformers) and generally do require a gap, not just to prevent saturation, but also to store more energy.

Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this subject?

EDIT:

hen918 wrote ...

I know they can use a special bonded ferrite powder that basically means that the "gap" is distributed across the whole core. It means that they can make the "gap" exactly the same size every time. It probably works out cheaper overall as well.

I also have some old flybacks with three gaps in the leg that contains the windings. Also, they don't always get the 'distributed gap' ones the same every time, due to various production factors, and they are actually measured after production to determine the specification.
hen918
Sat Sept 27 2014, 07:13PM
Yeah, the definition of "flyback transformer" is a coupled inductor. Using it for conventional transformers leads to confusion. ZVS drivers rely on the (relatively low) inductance of the flyback transformer's primary windings to keep a reasonably high frequency. If there was no gap (real or distributed) the inductance would be too high and you would end up with ridiculously low frequencies, (usually resulting in the oscillations stalling and one of the MOSFETs blowing up)
If you don't use any sort of gap, you end up with a normal transformer which you can drive with a full/half bridge, but, without the flyback effect, the secondary voltage will not be as high.
Ash Small
Sat Sept 27 2014, 07:41PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
hen918 wrote ...

Yeah, the definition of "flyback transformer" is a coupled inductor. Using it for conventional transformers leads to confusion. ZVS drivers rely on the (relatively low) inductance of the flyback transformer's primary windings to keep a reasonably high frequency. If there was no gap (real or distributed) the inductance would be too high and you would end up with ridiculously low frequencies, (usually resulting in the oscillations stalling and one of the MOSFETs blowing up)
If you don't use any sort of gap, you end up with a normal transformer which you can drive with a full/half bridge, but, without the flyback effect, the secondary voltage will not be as high.

I understood that most people remove the gap when using TV flybacks with the Mazzilli ZVS circuit. I've not yet built one myself, so can't be certain, but this is the impression I got from reading threads on the subject. I suppose there would still be some distributed gap, anyway.
hen918
Sat Sept 27 2014, 08:01PM
Didn't know that. I never have.
Sigurthr
Sun Sept 28 2014, 02:34AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I do know that for flyback mode (coupled inductor) if the gap is excessive there is excessive reflected voltage on the switching transistor/fet. I was recently asked to test a driver circuit and spent hours scratching my head how I was getting over 600V reflected peaks across the DS of a 100V fet when only using 12Vds supply. I pulled the old flyback apart and found that there was a chip missing from the core right at the gap. I ground down the cores and restored the original ~1mm gap spacing and the reflected voltage went back to the expected 60V. Having those huge reflected spikes caused a tremendous amount of heating in the FET. Really surprised it didn't just blow it up, but I guess the avalanche current was low enough to prevent silicon destruction.

I.e. for a flyback mode you want a gap but don't want it to be excessive. Too small of a gap means too small of energy storage and you won't get the voltage step up you expect. IIRC it does drastically reduce current draw having next to no gap though.

For push/pull "normal transformer" mode you can certainly live without a gap, but it really depends on your drive method. If you have a drive topology that isn't going to get stalled like the famous Mazzilli ZVS then you should be just fine.

One really nice thing about these modern transformers Fiddy has is that we can easily take them apart and vary them to our needs.

I'll just caution the user to watch the output voltage; these are very high turns ratio and probably require oil submersion for EHT applications.
Steve Conner
Sun Sept 28 2014, 08:56AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
According to theory at least, the ZVS needs a gap to define the inductance of the core and get a good Q in the resonant circuit. In practice it seems to work without one, it runs somewhere between a LC oscillator and a ferroresonant one where the frequency is controlled by core saturation.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Sept 28 2014, 11:03AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Hi Fiddy,
have you ordered the transformers yet / is there a place for more orders?
If so, do you know what is the maximum design (peak) voltage output (insulation rating) of the xfmr?

Thanks, Jan
Fiddy
Sun Sept 28 2014, 11:19AM
Fiddy Registered Member #8817 Joined: Mon Dec 17 2012, 05:16AM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

Hi Fiddy,
have you ordered the transformers yet / is there a place for more orders?
If so, do you know what is the maximum design voltage output (insulation rating) of the xfmr?

Thanks, Jan

Yes the transformers have been ordered, i ordered 25 and 22 are taken leaving 3 unsold, are you interested?

Maximum design voltage or insulation rating is 83kVpk says the manufacturer.
Alex M
Mon Sept 29 2014, 04:17AM
Alex M Registered Member #3943 Joined: Sun Jun 12 2011, 05:24PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Let's wait for Alex to comment, though, and see what he says.

Apologies for the lateness Ash but I have been out of town for a while.

Do we have any more information on the headline costs of shipping to the UK yet?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: