Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Increasing QCW streamer length

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Thu Jul 17 2014, 09:51AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, but the length of streamer from a QCW depends on what happens throughout the whole burst, not just the end, so you can't understand it by considering just the zero phase shift case.

The only reason to shift "both" bridges against the current would be if you had a halfbridge. smile
BSVi
Thu Jul 17 2014, 12:40PM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
In my opinion, secondary, loaded by streamer this big, is mostly active load. We use it's resonant nature only to ignite streamer, then we simply pump power into streamer.

At this stage we need high coupling to quickly transfer power so streamer stays hot. Hot streamers branches less.

IMHO, the biggest challenge in QCW design is to make so that streamers are not branching.

As for phase shift tuning, I tune it so at lowest frequency (at the end of the bang) it outputs 100% power. I tried different settings and different ramp profiles (exp and log of different powers). Linear ramp and this settings is the best combination as I found out.
teravolt
Thu Jul 17 2014, 02:00PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
BSVI are you doing frequency shifting or phase shift?
BSVi
Thu Jul 17 2014, 03:19PM
teravolt, i'm doing phase shifting
Ash Small
Thu Jul 17 2014, 03:48PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Goodchild wrote ...

From what I have found the limiting factor is usually how well you can keep the coil in tune. As sparks get bigger and the secondary get more out of tune with the primary and requires more and more power to increase spark length.

So if you start off with it 'out of tune' so that, as streamer length increases, in comes into tune, you'd be able to get bigger sparks?.....Or would you not be able to grow the sparks in the first place?....As long as you can get sparks they should grow as it comes more into tune?.......Depends how far out of tune it is to start with, I suppose?
Goodchild
Thu Jul 17 2014, 04:04PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
So to illustrate my point I have generated a simple LT SPICE simulation that models a basic ZCS dual resonant transformer with a resistive load on the output. Yes, yes the resistive load is not perfectly accurate I know, but it will suffice to illustrate this concept. The driving source is a behavioral voltage source running primary current feedback such that it will ZCS. The output is +-100VDC. Also all tests are performed with a 1mS burst.

I have set up LT SPICE to step through several coupling coefficients so that we can observe power at various points in the circuit. No other parameters are changed.

14490462418 F96f086888 B

The lower window of traces are output power (as defined by V * I of R1 the load resistance) we will assume that higher power here represent more output power for driving the sparks and as a result longer sparks.

The middle window is input power (as defined as V * I of B2). This is the input power to the system. It should be noted that because my setup is simple and has no bulk capacitor it can be assumed that all reactive AND real power must flow through this behavior voltage source B2.

The final windows at the very top is the difference of input power to output power and is a measure of the reactive power element of the system (i.e. power that doesn’t go towards making bigger sparks but instead just sloshes around in the primary LC and bridge).

The last bit of information to note is the trace colors. Green is the lowest coupling (0.1) blue is the next highest (0.2) red (0.3) and so on as the traces get smaller and smaller.
So for better illustration of this topic I will pick two couplings and compare them side by side: 0.1k and 0.4k

Let’s start with input power:
0.1k = 12.448Kw
0.4k=3.282Kw

Next output power:
0.1k= 6.742Kw
0.4k=3.114Kw

I can see why it could be thought that lower coupling could produce bigger sparks, because input power and output power are both indeed larger with lower coupling! However this can be misleading, we must look at what part of this power is reactive and not used for spark production.

Reactive Power:
0.1k= 5.706Kw
0.4k=0.168Kw

Now it can be seen that the amount of reactive power in the system is much lower with a higher coupling. However this is still not a fair comparison, because a looser coupled system will natural try to draw more power. So we must run an additional simulation.

We will now tweak the drive voltage such that the 0.4K system also draws around 12.4Kw and then look at reactive power again. After increasing the bus voltage to +-195VDC the 0.4K coupled system now draws 12.479Kw making it a valid comparison for the early 0.1K test.

0.4K at +-195VDC:
Input Power = 12.479Kw
Output Power = 11.838Kw
Reactive=0.641Kw

Now 0.641Kw is still much lower than the 5.7Kw seen with the system coupled at 0.1k for the same input power.

Lastly we can calculate the ratio of transferred to total power for both systems:
0.1k = 54.2%
0.4k=94.88% (100V bus)
0.4K=94.86% (195V bus)

So as an extra validation it can be seen that the ratio holds true even at varying power and bus voltage for the same coupling coefficient.

So in conclusion by lowering coupling it can be misleading, because input and output power will grow without varying any other parameter , leading to bigger output, However it is much less efficient from a reactive power stand point.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion, sorry for the technical rant.
BSVi
Thu Jul 17 2014, 04:21PM
Excelent investigation, Goodchild! This is closely maches what i'm observing in real system. Seems that increasing bus voltage (and coupling) still the best way to increase streamer.

Maybe, it's even feasible to build buck-boost and use 1200v IGBTs to get ultralong streamers :)

As for tune, my experementation shows that you don't need good tune to have good streamers. That profs that secondary is almost resisitve load with low Q.
Goodchild
Thu Jul 17 2014, 04:56PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
BSVi wrote ...

Excelent investigation, Goodchild! This is closely maches what i'm observing in real system. Seems that increasing bus voltage (and coupling) still the best way to increase streamer.

Maybe, it's even feasible to build buck-boost and use 1200v IGBTs to get ultralong streamers :)

As for tune, my experementation shows that you don't need good tune to have good streamers. That profs that secondary is almost resisitve load with low Q.

BSVi, I agree, this is what I observed with my QCW as well. As an alternative to making the bus voltage higher when raising coupling, the tank can be made lower impedance. This is useful if you are already running near the max bus voltage the system can handle. The trade off however is having to deal with larger currents in the primary LC.

The tuning part is curios; I also observed this with my system. I could change tuning by full turns and still produce much the same output for the same input power. I would assume part of this is due to the tank LC being high impedance, but I imagine coupling also plays a part. I need to think on this some more.

On another topic:

By chance have you measured the frequency/phase shift from X meter of spark from your system? I’m currently working on a spark mode for QCW sparks. And I need more data than what I can gather from my system.

Here is what I’m doing. I measure the L , C, and R values of the secondary using a high frequency LCR bridge at resonance. (Calculated values would also work) This gives me the base resonant frequency of the secondary with no spark loading. Then what I do is look at the frequency/phase shift of the secondary (via a base current CT) with various lengths of spark loading down the secondary.

Using this data we can then graph frequency shift per unit length of spark loading. This will give an approximate mathematical model of the spark’s parasitics. We can then use that model to find approximate L and C values per unit length of spark.

BSVi, would you be interested in doing a measurement of frequency/phase shit for various lengths of sparks on your system? In addition provide your secondary parameters? I would be interested to do a comparison.

EDIT:
I’m not sure if you have accesses to a deep memory O-scope, but this works very well for capturing a whole burst so that frequency/phase shift can be analyzed for the whole period of a single burst.
teravolt
Thu Jul 17 2014, 07:13PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
BSVI, since you phase 2 dual half bridges ( a form of PWM as Steve said) do you try to sync the phasing to the ring up in the primary because when I watch your video some times the spark starts to leave but does not seam to go the full distance? Question, should the energy lead the ring up in the ramp up via PWM or phasing? like in a car you can advance or retard your ignition to affect efficiency. In newer cars they have variable timing to increase efficiency. Can this type of logic be applied to a tesla coil. does that make sense?
Steve Ward
Fri Jul 18 2014, 07:26AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
First, excellent work BSVi cheesey.

Second, this whole coupling vs power confusion i think can be answered by saying "the copper losses are significant". I think Usprings analysis agrees completely with my line of thought: we simply get better results from higher coupling because it lowers the primary resistive losses by requiring less stored energy. Storing more energy is required when you want a bigger spark; its just the price you pay for using resonance. If we could avoid the resonant transformer, the efficiency should be better still, but good luck making any other type of HV transformer operate at >300khz and produce the required voltage.

Eric, you missed in your simulation in 2 ways. The first one is that you modeled the secondary circuit incorrectly as a series LC, which confuses the analysis. Secondly, you didnt pay any attention to the resistances of the coils, which i think its equally important to the design as the coupling or impedance of the tesla coil as a whole. Simply ignoring it will be missing the point.

In summary, if you want more power you need to lower resistances by using bigger wire and less of it, which results in lower coil impedances. Want proof?

Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: